Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 11-02-2015, 03:38 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have a strong preference for British readers reading British books, and American readers reading American books. I recently listened to a Librivox recording of a Sherlock Holmes book read by an American reader and it was just "wrong" for me personally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:12 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I like some variation, but I prefer when they don't go overboard. It's annoying when a female narrator tries to do a deep male character voice
It can be done well. A superb example is Barbara Rosenblat's narration of the "Amelia Peabody" series for Audible, in which she does the most wonderful baritone voice for Amelia's husband, Emerson. Of course, she is a professional voice actress, but it illustrates that it's certainly possible to do it successfully. If you're not a professional, though, it's probably best to avoid making the attempt, I agree.
Advert
Old 11-06-2015, 04:03 AM   #33
Helsbelles
Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: kindle/windows phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have a strong preference for British readers reading British books, and American readers reading American books. I recently listened to a Librivox recording of a Sherlock Holmes book read by an American reader and it was just "wrong" for me personally.
I can't help but agree. I volunteer for Librivox, and I wouldn't feel right tackling a US book. What's frustrating if you volunteer for Librivox is that a lot of British books become public domain in the US before they do in the UK, because they have different rules.

Lots of people are unfazed by the accent thing though, and that's fine too
Helsbelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 04:08 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helsbelles View Post
What's frustrating if you volunteer for Librivox is that a lot of British books become public domain in the US before they do in the UK, because they have different rules.
It works both ways, though; lots of books are in the public domain in the UK but not in the US. At least we're getting new books entering the public domain every year, which is not currently the case in the US.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:11 AM   #35
Helsbelles
Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Helsbelles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
It works both ways, though; lots of books are in the public domain in the UK but not in the US. At least we're getting new books entering the public domain every year, which is not currently the case in the US.
I know. But the ones that are just PD in the UK, you can't read for Librivox. They have to be PD in the US too.
Advert
Old 11-06-2015, 04:19 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I know. But the ones that are just PD in the UK, you can't read for Librivox. They have to be PD in the US too.
True. It would be nice to have an equivalent of Librivox for countries with a "life+70" copyright law.

I would note, though, that the overwhelming majority of books in the US public domain are in the public domain because they were published prior to 1923, and all such books that were initially published in the US are also in the UK public domain because of an aspect of British copyright law called "the rule of the shorter term", which states that if a work is in the public domain in the country in which it was originally published, then it's also in the public domain in the UK, even if the standard British "life+70" copyright term would indicate otherwise. This means that, for example, all the books by American authors such as Edgar Rice Burroughs which are in the public domain in the US are also in the UK public domain, even though Burroughs died in 1950.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:05 AM   #37
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I would note, though, that the overwhelming majority of books in the US public domain are in the public domain because they were published prior to 1923, and all such books that were initially published in the US are also in the UK public domain because of an aspect of British copyright law called "the rule of the shorter term", which states that if a work is in the public domain in the country in which it was originally published, then it's also in the public domain in the UK, even if the standard British "life+70" copyright term would indicate otherwise. This means that, for example, all the books by American authors such as Edgar Rice Burroughs which are in the public domain in the US are also in the UK public domain, even though Burroughs died in 1950.
This is not accurate. Unfortunately, the UK didn't follow the rule of the shorter term from 5 November 1956 to 31st December 1995. So only US works that fell into the public domain before or after those dates are also public domain in the UK. And essentially no new works have fallen into the public domain from 1996 onwards.

There's a good look at this complicated issue here

It is, however, true that the Edgar Rice Burroughs works that are public domain in the US are also public domain in the UK. But that's not due to the rule of the shorter term, it's because when they fell into the US public domain, the UK had a life+50 year copyright term, and that's what applies to the books in the UK. As it's been more than 50 years since Burroughs died, they're also public domain in the UK.

Since Burroughs died in 1950, in 2021, all Burroughs' works pass into the UK public domain, but some will remain copyright in the US.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:08 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
This is not accurate. Unfortunately, the UK didn't follow the rule of the shorter term from 5 November 1956 to 31st December 1995. So only US works that fell into the public domain before or after those dates are also public domain in the UK. And essentially no new works have fallen into the public domain from 1996 onwards.

There's a good look at this complicated issue here

It, however, true that the Edgar Rice Burroughs works that are public domain in the US are also public domain in the UK. That's because when they fell into the public domain, the UK had a life+50 year copyright term, and that's what applies to the books in the UK. As it's been more than 50 years since Burroughs died, they're also public domain in the UK.

Since Burroughs died in 1950, in 2021, all Burroughs' works pass into the UK public domain, but some will remain copyright in the US.
Thanks for the detailed explanation!
Old 11-06-2015, 10:25 AM   #39
Helsbelles

Quote:
True. It would be nice to have an equivalent of Librivox for countries with a "life+70" copyright law.
There is one, actually. It's called Legamus. But (IMO) it's not doing a very good job of making itself known. I haven't recorded for them yet: reading and editing an audiobook involves a commitment of hundreds of hours' work, and (while it's not something one does for the fame and glory) it's kind of dispiriting to think that it won't reach much of an audience...
Old 11-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
There is one, actually. It's called Legamus. But (IMO) it's not doing a very good job of making itself known.
It certainly isn't! I'm very fond of audiobooks, and until you mentioned it just now, I'd certainly never heard of it. Thanks for telling us about it.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:53 AM   #41
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I am resurrecting this thread to recommend a Librivox recording that was completed last year:

David Clarke's version of The Count of Monte Cristo

David sounds a little dry until you hear him drop into voices with full French accents. The recording is a little slow, and there is some sound leakage every few tracks or so (phone ringing, etc.). But those blips are few and far between. I had never tackled this classic before, so it's been fun. It also matches the PCML Version that HarryT has uploaded here.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:52 PM   #42
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I am resurrecting this thread to recommend a Librivox recording that was completed last year:

David Clarke's version of The Count of Monte Cristo

David sounds a little dry until you hear him drop into voices with full French accents. The recording is a little slow, and there is some sound leakage every few tracks or so (phone ringing, etc.). But those blips are few and far between. I had never tackled this classic before, so it's been fun. It also matches the PCML Version that HarryT has uploaded here.
Before I invest any time in this version, does any know if there is an Audible version of the Robin Buss translation version? I trust Harry when he said that version is better, and I have Audible credits to use up....

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:49 PM   #43
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Before I invest any time in this version, does any know if there is an Audible version of the Robin Buss translation version? I trust Harry when he said that version is better, and I have Audible credits to use up....

ApK
I can say with near certainty that the Robin Buss translation isn't available in audiobook. In part, because the same question has been asked many times (not here) and not gotten a positive answer and in part, because the Audible books I have with a copyrighted, not public domain, translation say as much in the item description, as with the Edith Grossman translation of Don Quixote and the Julie Rose translation of Les Misérables.

That said, the Bill Homewood narration of The Count is one of the titles available in the current 2-for-1 Audible sale.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 06:10 PM   #44
EmilyK
EmilyK plays well with othersEmilyK plays well with othersEmilyK plays well with othersEmilyK plays well with othersEmilyK plays well with othersEmilyK plays well with othersEmilyK plays well with othersEmilyK plays well with othersEmilyK plays well with othersEmilyK plays well with othersEmilyK plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Does anyone use the LibriVox app?
EmilyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:34 PM   #45
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyK View Post
Does anyone use the LibriVox app?
LibriVox doesn't have an official app, so which one of the third party apps are you referring to?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote