Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Mixed feelings

I mostly love my 600. I like jotting down notes, looking up stuff in the dictionary, book marking pages. I like the size and weight. I can read the display just fine in most any environment I need to. I do have to struggle a bit when trying to read it in my radiology reading room, but c'mon, I'm a radiologist--that place is like a bat cave.

But, it does have appreciable screen fade in sunlight. I got a replacement refurb unit and it's better, but it still fades perceptibly and I'm worried it will get worse as the summer advances and we get more perpendicular to the sun's rays 'round here in Minnesota. It wouldn't be a deal killer if I knew that this was normal, and was told that it was normal before I bought the thing (like the reflection deal that bugs so many people, or the really crude music function). If I shade it during page turns it's fine; an annoyance to have to do that, just a minor one. But I've been assured by multiple folks on here that it is NOT normal, and have been majorly yanked around by Sony technical support/customer service.

So, I find myself irritated that Sony has my money and is getting away with passing off what by all accounts is a defective unit. Last time I was on the phone with them, they said is was "normal, the screen is protecting itself. You need to move into the shade." They did offer to take it back and refund my money when I told them "If that is the case, you are engaging in false advertising". But they wanted ME to pay shipping if I wanted my money back . And I don't *want* my money back, I want a unit that is not defective.

I've been eying the iRex 800. Little bigger screen for PDF's, now it has annotation, a few other features that are reportedly better (holds zoom settings). If it was a comparable price to the 600, I'd tell Sony to take their unit and shove it, and get an iRex. But it's not, and I'm not sure if I'm over 150 bucks mad.

I'm leaning towards keeping it, but I tell you what, I don't know when I'll buy another Sony product.....
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:17 AM   #2
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I can hear you. And if Sony reacts like you state, I would certainly give my unit back. I mean first, I would want a working device. But if they send me another one that shows the same defect and they would insist that "the screen tries to protect itself" (LOL), I would tell them to (insert curse to your liking here).
In this case I also wouldn't mind to spend a little more to get another brand.

I have a 505 and a 600, and on neither I have a fading problem. I guess I was lucky.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you search the forums under Sony, there has been comments about the reader fading in direct sunlight. I'm just not sure how much of a fade to expect.

I have a 505 and I've read it in sunlight and have not noticed any fading. Of course, I've only read it in direct sunlight for perhaps 20 mins straight as my eyes are sensitive to bright light. And not sure if the fade is caused by the heat or the light itself.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This phenomenon appears to affect every make of eInk device for a small number of people. A very small proportion of the screens fade; the overwhelming majority do not.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If only a small proportion of the screens do fade, perhaps you got stuck with a refurbished one that got return for that exact reason. My guess is that Sony turns these around and uses them as replacement since they 'seem' to work.

Last edited by MerLock; 04-13-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #6
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
If only a small proportion of the screends do fade, perhaps you got stuck with a refurbished one that got return for that exact reason. My guess is that Sony turns these around and uses them as replacement since they 'seem' to work.

That's my suspicion as well. The "new" refurb also has worse ghosting, so it may have been returned for that.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
MerLock
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post

So, I find myself irritated that Sony has my money and is getting away with passing off what by all accounts is a defective unit. Last time I was on the phone with them, they said is was "normal, the screen is protecting itself. You need to move into the shade." They did offer to take it back and refund my money when I told them "If that is the case, you are engaging in false advertising". But they wanted ME to pay shipping if I wanted my money back . And I don't *want* my money back, I want a unit that is not defective.
That is pretty much false advertisement. If you click on their website and under the technology tab for ereaders it says

"Reader digital books can be easily read in virtually any light including direct sunlight."

Sound more angry and demand to get your money back without paying for shipping/handling. Also guessing you don't have a Sony store near you?