Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Sony BMG's hypocrisy: company busted for using warez

This one is not strictly e-book related, but just to show how tricky things are these days.

Link:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ing-warez.html
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:23 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Even Sony isn't perfect
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2008, 01:39 AM   #3
Razi
Zealot
Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba E740, Cassiopeia, iLiad, iPad, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Sony installed spying software on their customers' computers to monitor the use of its music, those horrible memory sticks that change shape every so often in order to keep the prices up, the obsession with 'proprietary' applications, the list goes on. I never ever buy anything made by Sony, EVER. A horrible disgusting bunch of little greedy bastards. I buy Nintendo, Nokia, Bosch etc just to hurt Sony, they will never get my money. Less than half a million dollars is peanuts for Sony, they should have been sued for more.
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:25 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A slight overreaction, I think. You don't think that it was Sony's corporate policy to use software illegally, do you? Most likely just some "rogue" sysadmin installing dodgy software. Happens in every large organisation, I'm sure. That's why most large companies have internal software audits to try to make sure that their systems are "legit".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:11 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A slight overreaction, I think. You don't think that it was Sony's corporate policy to use software illegally, do you? Most likely just some "rogue" sysadmin installing dodgy software. Happens in every large organization, I'm sure. That's why most large companies have internal software audits to try to make sure that their systems are "legit".
Most pircay at a given company is the user(s) installing illegal software without permission or knowledge of the people in charge. I don't know of any company that allows this to happen as a matter of policy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2008, 05:42 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Even Sony isn't perfect
Really?!?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:49 AM   #7
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A slight overreaction, I think. You don't think that it was Sony's corporate policy to use software illegally, do you? Most likely just some "rogue" sysadmin installing dodgy software. Happens in every large organisation, I'm sure. That's why most large companies have internal software audits to try to make sure that their systems are "legit".
Quote:

"The Business Software Alliance, however, believes that up to 47 percent of the software installed on Sony BMG's computers could be pirated."

Not that anyone claims that it's comapny policy, but you know the saying, you want others to be holy, you better be the holiest So, no excuses.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I think the fact that they called tech support with a printed, albeit fake, license says there's a good chance they thought they'd purchased legitimate product. Oftentimes even at large companies, individual departments and offices have a good deal of control over choosing their own local vendors. It's not always centrally controlled. If they bought through a company they thought was a legitimate reseller, that would explain it. I doubt a rogue sysadmin would counterfeit paper license certificates.

I'm also quite leery of buying from Sony for all the reasons Razi stated plus some rather unsatisfactory support experiences I'd had in the past. I actually did consider buying a PRS, though, since there are so few options for reading devices and the hardware does seem quite right. Turns out it wasn't the right device for me. Still, just because I hate many of their business practices doesn't mean they're complete crooks. I'm getting the feeling this was an accident.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:43 AM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Reminds me of the case where employees at Geek Squad/Best Buy used unlicensed copies of Winternals tools (after the trial period). Wikipedia:
Quote:
In April, 2006, Geek Squad, a Best Buy company, was accused of allegedly using unlicensed versions of Winternals software that Winternals had supplied the company with to use during contract negotiations for using the software on a permanent basis. The contract talks broke down and Geek Squad's parent company Best Buy did not notify its Geek Squad Agents to stop using and discard the software. A judge granted a restraining order on April 12, requiring that use of all unlicensed software be stopped, and forcing Best Buy to turn over all copies of Winternals software within 20 days.[3] After settlement, a version of the Winternals software was released to be used by Geek Squad.[4]
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony, warez