Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-31-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
Scully
Scully began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Trouble Converting WP Document

If this topic has already been covered, I apologize...I searched several pages but didn't see anything quite the same.

I just learned about Calibre from a friend, and am starting to learn how to use it. I would like to be able to convert documents that I've written in Word Perfect (X5) to my Kindle. I know how to do html, so I took the shortest document...which has no TOC or anything fancy...just several pages of typed document...and created an empty book. After considerable experimentation, I figured out how to name the empty book, and create a series name for it.

Now what? Do I copy the html into the Comments section? If not, where should it go? Anything I try to do tells me that there's no suitable source format available, or something else along similar lines. I've been at this for several hours, and I've looked through the Calibre manual, too...but mostly it deals with importing and converting already-published books. I found nothing useful for importing and converting self-created documents.

Any assistance you could offer would be greatly appreciated by this eager (but frustrated) newbie!!

Scully

----------------

~ I got you, Mulder! I got you big-time! ~
Scully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scully View Post
I found nothing useful for importing and converting self-created documents.
There is no difference between published and self created books. If you have the html then drag that to the calibre library or add it as you would any other book.

I'm not sure exactly what is tripping you up.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
Scully

Wow, quick reply! Thank you!

I guess what's tripping me up is that I don't really know how to use the program yet, despite poking around with it for most of the day. I don't know where to drag the html, or where to find the Calibre library. The only place I've found where I could possibly drag the html is the Comments section in the Edit Metadata screen, and that didn't seem to work.

I'm sure it'll be a flat-forehead special...at least, I hope it will be.

Scully

----------------

Old 07-31-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
There are several methods:
- You can drag the HTML directly into the main area where your books are listed.
- Click the 'add books' button and browse to the location of your html file
- Right click on the book record you mentioned creating, select 'edit metadata' and drag the html onto the list of book formats in the upper right corner of that window.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:57 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also you might want to view the two videos mentioned in this Sticky Post.
Advert
Old 07-31-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
Scully

Thanks again for the quick answers! It's greatly appreciated!

Okay, I did that, and came up with a zip file. (I think the problem was, I was trying to copy the actual text over to somewhere, not importing a file.) Now it says "Format: Zip" and "Path: Click to open." But when I click on either, it just brings me to a Windows Explorer folder, with the zip file inside.

I'm sorry...I know this is supposed to be a fantastic program, and I'm sure I'll agree once I get it figured out. But it's not very intuitive for newbies, is it?

Scully

----------------

Old 07-31-2011, 11:21 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scully View Post
Okay, I did that, and came up with a zip file.
You added it correctly, now select (highlight) the book in the main window and click convert. Select Mobi output (Kindle's non-DRM format) for use on your Kindle and convert it.

Check out the Sticky posts at the top of each calibre forum for more information and for even more info go to calibre's help page.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
Scully

Okay, I finally figured it out, thanks! Yes, it is easy...once you can figure out the proper path to follow. My mistake was I was trying to copy/paste the html itself, and there was nowhere to put it. So of course it was faulting out all over the place. Now that I know to convert my WP file to html, resave it in a special folder, and then import the html file, it should go smoothly.

Thanks again!!