Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #9331
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Golf? How many are on each team?

Stitchawl
12 players
1 captain and 4 assistant captains (non-playing)
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #9332
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
And on the American team you also have Michael Jordan.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #9333
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
And on the American team you also have Michael Jordan.
My father was a scratch golfer. Lived and breathed for the game. Played at least 36 holes every week, only took vacations where there were highly rated courses, watched every televised match all day long if it was raining too hard to go and play himself, and practiced his putting in the living room every night. I think his greatest disapointment in life was that his son had LESS than no interest in the game. I was given lessons by the country club pros, had my own clubs, shoes, etc... I diligently listened to the pro. I tried. I practiced (Just to be fair to my folks... They would, and did, get me lessons in anything I ever wanted to learn except bagpipes) I hated every minute of it, and though I tried to hide it from them, they knew. By the age of 13 they finally stopped asking me 'did you go out today? and never signed me up for another golf lesson. From that day on, the only times I would venture out onto a golf course would be at night time during country club dances, and only as far as the second green...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:47 AM   #9334
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Golf is a lucrative gig if you have some talent. Last week Brandt Snedeker won $1.44 million in the Coca Cola Tour Championship. Not bad for four days work. He also received $10 million for winning the year long FedEx Cup.

A player tied for 23rd can earn $60,000 after 72 holes and those tied for 70th still grab $13,000.

And then there's all the endorsements.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:07 AM   #9335
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But it probably cost a player $10,000 a week to play. Caddie fee, travel, accommodation, and miscellaneous. If you make the cut and end up DFL you probably just break even for that week. My father got me started and he loved having his little girl play up until I was twelve and beat him for the first time. After that it was all about the tees...
Advert
Old 09-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #9336
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
How many total gifts are given in the song, "The Twelve Days of Christmas?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
12*1 + 11*2 + 10*3 + 9*4 + 8*5 + 7*6 + 6*7 + 5*8 + 4*9 + 3*10 + 2*11 + 1*12

= 364 gifts.
Not my place at all to pose a question, but since for the moment this seems to be in a interlude to discuss golf . . .

When I see series like this I am always interested in a general formula. So suppose instead of 12 days, your true love gives you 365 days of gifts, under the same sort of progression. First day one gift, second day two gifts and repeat of the first day gift, etc. How many total gifts at the end?

This is not the official question so do not let it interrupt the next in line.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #9337
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Not my place at all to pose a question, but since for the moment this seems to be in a interlude to discuss golf . . .

When I see series like this I am always interested in a general formula. So suppose instead of 12 days, your true love gives you 365 days of gifts, under the same sort of progression. First day one gift, second day two gifts and repeat of the first day gift, etc. How many total gifts at the end?

This is not the official question so do not let it interrupt the next in line.
Rambling real-time working out of formula in spoiler tags for brevity.
Spoiler:
OK, the way to work it out is like this:

On the 1st day you get 1
On the 2nd day you get 2 + 1
On the 3rd day you get 3 + 2 + 1
On the nth day you get n+(n-1)+...+1

Now the sum n+(n-1)+...+1 = n(n+1)/2

So to get the total we need to add up

1*2/2, 2*3/2, 3*4/2, ... , n(n+1)/2

Obviously the factor of two is common, so we can simplify to

(1*2 + 2*3 + 3*4 + ... + n*(n+1))/2

Which looks complex, and we'll make it more complex still by remembering the general formula for each term and expanding that.

((1*1+1) + (2*2+2) + (3*3+3) + .... + (n*n + n))/2

But now we can split it into two sequences

((1*1) + (2*2) + (3*3) + .... (n*n))/2 + (1 + 2 + 3 + ... + n)/2

Now the second bit is just n(n+1)/4 (we used the same formula above).

And there is a formula for the sum of squares, so the first bit is just n(n+1)(2n+1)/12 (Proof of the sum of squares formula can be found here.)

So the total number of presents for any n days is

n(n+1)(2n+1)/12 + n(n+1)/4 which simplifies to

n(n+1)(2n+4)/12 which simplifies to:

n(n+1)(n+2)/6

A remarkably pleasing result, which could probably be derived more simply.

Check for 12: 12*13*14/6 = 364.

So for 364 days: 364*365*366/6 = 8,104,460

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-27-2012 at 01:53 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #9338
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
8,171,255 for 365 days.

S DAYS=365,GIFTS=1,TOTAL=0
F I=DAYS:-1:1 S TOTAL=TOTAL+(I*GIFTS),GIFTS=GIFTS+1
W TOTAL

Last edited by Daithi; 09-27-2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: added the program to find the total
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #9339
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Dear Algebra,
Please stop asking us to find your X. She's not coming back.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #9340
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
The lucky recipient would need a warehouse in which to store it all.

You count things up really well for a mouse with such small paws.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #9341
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
8,171,255 for 365 days.
This is true, but for 364 days it's still 8,104,460.

S DAYS=364
S TOTAL=DAYS*(DAYS+1)*(DAYS+2)/6
W TOTAL

I think my version is a little more efficient.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #9342
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
This is true, but for 364 days it's still 8,104,460.

S DAYS=364
S TOTAL=DAYS*(DAYS+1)*(DAYS+2)/6
W TOTAL

I think my version is a little more efficient.
I agree completely. I also happen to like your version. Simpler is always better.

The reason I posted the 365 answer was because that was what was asked for in the question, and I did my little program at about the same time you did your post. I certainly didn't mean you any disrespect pdurrant, and I like your method to the answer better.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #9343
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
The reason I posted the 365 answer was because that was what was asked for in the question, and I did my little program at about the same time you did your post. I certainly didn't mean you any disrespect pdurrant, and I like your method to the answer better.
And here's where we find out whether a mouse can blush.

I mis-read the original question, and mixed up the question asked (365 days) with the answer to number of presents for 12 days (364 presents).
Old 09-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #9344
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

This has sort of changed topic. Besides no one can catch Fbone, so unless you have a specific desire to guess the remaining questions I can just reveal them.
Just let me know.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #9345
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Well I don't know any of the unanswered questions, but I would like to know the answers (particularly the one about the European voted off the team because he didn't play much in Europe - I'd never heard of that at all).

I thought it was a good set of questions FWIW; certainly more interesting than a bunch of mathematical formulae
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote