Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-24-2009, 10:08 AM   #16
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #17
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
A link for the Historical Novel Society and their newsletter.

And in my opinion the best historical fiction written in the last 50 years is Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels and Dorothy Dunnett's House of Niccolo novels - both of which unfortunately are not legally available in ebook. I think you can find them in audiobooks. Most of my other favorites have been mentioned already - Simon Scarrow, George MacDonald Fraser, Lindsay Davis, C. S. Forester, Steven Saylor, Rafael Sabatini, David Liss, Allan Mallinson, Bernard Cornwell.

edit: You might try "John Adams" by David McCullough", very good book. And if you like Forester's Hornblower books and since you can't get the O'Brian ones in ebook, next best is Alexander Kent's Bolito's novels followed by Dudley Pope's Ramage novels...... a further note: Captain Frederick Marryat's "Mr. Midshipman Easy" books are available here at Mobileread. Some like him better than the others except O'Brian. Good reading. Also good is Allan Mallinson's "Hervey" novels but also not in ebook, I think.

Last edited by wayspooled; 09-07-2009 at 05:06 AM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #18
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle.
I second that suggestion.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:04 PM   #19
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Haven't seen Mary Renault mentioned - but her Alexander books are at the top of my list.
Julian Rathbone is another author I've enjoyed.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #20
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
David Liss
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #21
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
David Liss
Definitely! Great books.

"A Paper Plot" and... "The Coffee Trader" I think?
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #22
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I hadn't realized that Dudley Pope was available in ebook format?

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:36 PM   #23
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I hadn't realized that Dudley Pope was available in ebook format?

--
Bill
Probably not, most of the good stuff that I really like isn't. I just get carried away.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:36 PM   #24
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder if we can petition the publisher?

--
Bill
Old 08-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #25
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Ken Follet's *Pillars of the Earth* and *World Without End* are both available in ebook version. They're heavy tomes (one just under 1K pages, the other just over 1K) but the early medieval research is superb and the human-interest fiction that drives the books is quite wonderful. I've just read them back-to-back and can't wait to forget them in a few years so that I can experience the reading over again. The best of 14th Century historical fiction, broad-canvas, racing, fully satisfying reads. Best. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:52 PM   #26
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And, of course, anything by James A Michener and by Edward Rutherfurd, but I don't think there are digital versions available yet. Great pity because these hefty tomes take up a huge amount of space on the bookshelf, but merely inconvenience a few electrons in the ebook reader. Neil
Old 08-27-2009, 02:56 PM   #27
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
And, of course, anything by James A Michener and by Edward Rutherfurd, but I don't think there are digital versions available yet. Great pity because these hefty tomes take up a huge amount of space on the bookshelf, but merely inconvenience a few electrons in the ebook reader. Neil
There's Rutherfurd's newest(?) about Ireland available as ebooks. Haven't read them yet, but I've liked 'London' and 'The forest'. He's clearly become a better writer with time, and I think I would recommend to start with either of those two - or perhaps the new ones. 'Sarum' was okay, but the writing felt a bit laborious.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:50 AM   #28
bill_mchale
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Ken Follet's *Pillars of the Earth* and *World Without End* are both available in ebook version. They're heavy tomes (one just under 1K pages, the other just over 1K) but the early medieval research is superb and the human-interest fiction that drives the books is quite wonderful. I've just read them back-to-back and can't wait to forget them in a few years so that I can experience the reading over again. The best of 14th Century historical fiction, broad-canvas, racing, fully satisfying reads. Best. Neil
I will second Pillars of the Earth. I just finished it a few days ago. Very much worth the read.

I will probably read World Without End sooner rather than later.

--
Bill
Old 08-28-2009, 03:41 AM   #29
neilmarr
neilmarr

Ea -- I agree with you on Rutherfurd. It did take him a while to get into his stride. He seemed to get it right, though, with *London*. I'm looking forward to his Irish books (didn't know they were available as ebooks, so thanks for that tip). He was so serious about this work that he actually went to live in Dublin for five years while he put in the research spadework.

And, Bill: If you liked *Pillars of the Earth*, you'll love *World Without End*. It's a fine job of work by a superb author.

Cheers. Neil
Old 08-28-2009, 03:48 AM   #30
neilmarr
neilmarr

Oh -- and a couple more historical recommendations: Mark Twain on Joan of Arc is magnificent. And his *Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court* is a must. Old Sam had a real feel for medieval history -- and his wit and ideology is pure 21st Century. These titles are in the public domain, by the way, so you can pick them up free. Very best. Neil