Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #16
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
CM10 ROMs are getting more reliable/stable (especially with the Kernel newly released by BN Dev), nevertheless the developers of all the CM10 ROMs (that I know of) continue to plead against selling pre-made SDcards and SDcard images of their (freely distributed) ROMs, but that has not stopped greedy and unscrupulous profiteers from doing so.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #17
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
How's the battery life with Wakelock running compared to before you installed it?
It seems to have little or no effect on the battery life. I ran a simple test the first night. My battery was at 80% when I put it to sleep and the battery was at 79% the next morning. I believe that is pretty typical discharge rate for a Nook when in sleep mode.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #18
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
It's holding up pretty well for me too. I like Jelly Bean. Maybe I'll hold on to my Nook for a while now.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #19
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Does anyone know if N2A can be used on the Nook HD? I see that a card for the HD+ has been released, but why not the HD? The software is identical from what I can see.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #20
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Software might be identical, but the hardware is not. Check out this thread on the XDA Developers forum. I encourage you to create your own card from the instructions there and not give money to the N2A sponges that are profiting from the work of the XDA guys.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #21
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Thanks, I'll look at the link; I'm just pretty ignorant of this stuff so the premade card appealed to me. But I'll give it a whirl.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #22
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
...and not give money to the N2A sponges that are profiting from the work of the XDA guys.
Agreed. With the clear and concise instructions the XDA guys give, there's really no reason to not do it yourself. Initial methods were more involved and required using the command line, but it's all been automated now and all you have to do is burn an image to an SD card.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #23
catsknit
Addict

Well, skimming the thread that was linked looks almost like a foreign language to me at this point, but I've ordered a compatible micro-SD card (couldn't find any locally) and I will read through it carefully and see if I can't figure it out. Thanks for pointing me there.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #24
kevinp
Fanatic

Just ask if you have questions.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #25
Kurt
Connoisseur
Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Nook HD+, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
Well, skimming the thread that was linked looks almost like a foreign language to me at this point, but I've ordered a compatible micro-SD card (couldn't find any locally) and I will read through it carefully and see if I can't figure it out. Thanks for pointing me there.
had the same trepidation with my Nook Color - bought it specifically to install CM7 but took me months to brave the klingonese of the instructions

but, following the steps one by one it worked like a charm on the first go - and still working fine
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #26
catsknit
Addict

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
Just ask if you have questions.
OK, I'm totally lost I have Windows 7, so I downloaded the Win32Disk Imager, and the Readme in there says I needed QT for Windows SDK so I've downloaded that (which took hours!) and it's installed. Now the Readme says to run compile.bat but I have no idea how to use the QT to do that. Sorry, but I have absolutely no experience with even the most basic coding stuff! I am pretty good at basic Windows stuff, ie, finding which directory something's gone into, to make the correct paths, (only saying this b/c sometimes I see people asking questions who do not even understand something that basic!) but for example, when i use Calibre, I just "plug and play" - no manipulating anything on my books other than editing metadata LOL!
So, I hate to be a bother, but could you possibly explain the directions at XDA for someone as ignorant as I, or should I just give up and wait for n2a (I understand your dislike of them taking a freely given code that someone worked out, and making money off it, but for people like me, we need more thorough instructions or else just need to be able to purchase it already done). Thanks!
Karen

edited - OK, I see what I did wrong - when I downloaded the Win32Disk Imager it actually downloaded the source file rather than the binary I needed to install it. Once I did that it was easy to write the image to the microSD. I haven't been brave enough yet to try it out but plan to today. Please advise if I've done anything else wrong!

Last edited by catsknit; 01-04-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #27
catsknit
Addict

Following up, I have loaded the card and it boots correctly; however, I am not clear about how to get things like the App store loaded - I went here using the browser on the tablet in android mode, and downloaded the latest version. However, when I try to open it on the tablet it's a zip file and says it can't open it. So I downloaded it to my computer, planning to open it and then sideload it - on the computer it's not a zip file, has the apk ending already? But when I tried turning on USB storage to send the file, I just get a continual waiting circle (equivalent to endless hourglass on Windows?) on the tablet.
Any ideas? thanks
Old 01-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #28
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
There should be an app called Play Store, that's Google's app/book/video/music/game store.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:46 AM   #29
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
OK, I'm totally lost I have Windows 7, so I downloaded the Win32Disk Imager, and the Readme in there says I needed QT for Windows SDK so I've downloaded that (which took hours!) and it's installed. Now the Readme says to run compile.bat but I have no idea how to use the QT to do that. Sorry, but I have absolutely no experience with even the most basic coding stuff! I am pretty good at basic Windows stuff, ie, finding which directory something's gone into, to make the correct paths, (only saying this b/c sometimes I see people asking questions who do not even understand something that basic!) but for example, when i use Calibre, I just "plug and play" - no manipulating anything on my books other than editing metadata LOL!
So, I hate to be a bother, but could you possibly explain the directions at XDA for someone as ignorant as I, or should I just give up and wait for n2a (I understand your dislike of them taking a freely given code that someone worked out, and making money off it, but for people like me, we need more thorough instructions or else just need to be able to purchase it already done). Thanks!
Karen

edited - OK, I see what I did wrong - when I downloaded the Win32Disk Imager it actually downloaded the source file rather than the binary I needed to install it. Once I did that it was easy to write the image to the microSD. I haven't been brave enough yet to try it out but plan to today. Please advise if I've done anything else wrong!
It is reasons like the above that drive people to the N2A site.
I don't WANT to fiddle with my device; I want to plug in an sd card [at most!] and have it work...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:37 AM   #30
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
OK, I'm totally lost I have Windows 7, so I downloaded the Win32Disk Imager, and the Readme in there says I needed QT for Windows SDK
I see you sorted it out, but in case anyone else wonders:
After downloading Win32DiskImager for example form here
http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-...k-Imager.shtml you get a zip folder.
Yes, it's a "binary" according to file name, but that's not a problem! Don't worry about the read-me-file!
Just unzip it to new folder and start it from there whenever to use it. It does not need to be installed. I put my image file in that same folder so they are easy to find whenevr I want to burn something.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote