Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-24-2007, 04:37 PM   #1
schmidt349
schmidt349 is on a distinguished road

Device: Amazon Kindle
The Mobipocket format: Starring Leonardo diCaprio and Kate Winslet

Long time lurker, first time poster.

So, having just come into possession of an Amazon Kindle, I thought I'd load it with some documents that I have in various text-based formats (DocBook XML being chief among them). I read that it supports the Mobipocket format, and being somewhat adept with Perl, I figured I'd whip up some conversion software with the help of CPAN.

What follows is a tale of horror such as you can't imagine.

Just for a lark, I started with the following:

$ strings KindleUsersGuide.azw

and got this:

Kindle_Users_Guide
BOOKMOBI
MOBI
EXTH
08/01/2007
Amazon.com
Amazon.com
REF000000
Reference
Q<P>An overview of all the Amazon Kindle features and how to use them.</P>
Kindle User's Guide
<html><head><guide><reference
itle="Table
ontents"
toc"
ilepos=0
232 /
.Welcome
start

{snip}

No worries, I thought, it's not a ZIP or a GZIP archive, so they're probably working their own proprietary mojo with some kind of compressed container format. I can see strings up top that look like they're pretty clearly identifiers of some kind (Kindle_Users_Guide, BOOKMOBI, MOBI, and EXTH). I wasn't all that enthusiastic about reverse-engineering somebody's proprietary binary file format, so I visited Mobipocket's web site to look for a document specification.

That was my first mistake.

Nowhere do the Mobipocket people actually give you the secret sauce for their file format. No c code examples, no header or binary structure descriptions, nothing. Their Windoze-only "Mobipocket Creator," despite being marketed as "free software," is anything but -- I almost wish the FSF had a trademark on that term so they could do a legal beatdown on anyone who calls their software "free" just because it doesn't cost anything.

So, no help whatsoever from the Mobipocket crowd. I did discover, though, while browsing their forums that file extensions "prc" and "pdb" are synonyms for "mobi". So I Googled those, thinking that maybe someone somewhere had already done my homework for me.

I knew something was wrong immediately when I was redirected to a bunch of Palm OS-related websites. Imagine my horror when I found out that the mobipocket document container is actually a Palm Database file, a monstrosity that stores everything in a bizarre nonstandard record structure instead of a nice friendly POSIX-compliant directory hierarchy. The sauce on the goose: it stores data in big-endian format because it was originally designed to be used by the very first Palm Pilots, which had Motorola 68000-series microprocessors in them. Wow.

Thankfully CPAN has modules for everything, so I fired up Palm::PDB and Palm:oc, almost hoping that they wouldn't be able to parse the file. However, they didn't have any problems groking the file structure, and my worst fears were realized.

These examples of rotten HTML are drawn from the finally decoded content of the Amazon Kindle Manual, which I grabbed off the device.

Let's start at the beginning:

<p width="0em"><font face="serif">Thank you for purchasing Amazon Kindle. You are reading the Welcome section of the <i>Kindle User's Guide</i>. This guide provides an overview of Kindle and highlights a few basic features so you can start reading as quickly as possible.</font></p>

After came to and peeled my face out of the keyboard I'd just spent five minutes banging it into, I glanced behind myself reflexively, half-expecting to see a blue police box or Billy Pilgrim or some other indication that I had been flung back in time to 1997.

The <font> element is one of those great horrors that we thankfully put to rest with HTML 4.0, XHTML 1.0, and CSS BEFORE THE END OF THE LAST CENTURY. So's the i tag. These are all examples of HTML 3.2-type mixing of document structure and formatting, which isn't supposed to happen under any circumstances in this day and age. You're supposed to use the style attribute along with the generic inline <span> container.

How am I supposed to convert into a format that doesn't even validate as HTML 3.2? How am I expected to use a monstrosity that doesn't conform to ANY of the ebook standards we've established over the last ten years?

The IDPF people have been working on these problems for ages. They came up with a bunch of specifications years ago that would have prevented this nightmare. But this was like the greatest hits of Netscape 2.0. I saw the <center> tag. I saw <li> tags that weren't closed. I saw illegal entities like &. Craploads of tags had the wrong punctuation for their closers (ie, <h4></H4>. Picture references didn't comply with Dublin Core or anything even close to standard. Hell, I half-expected to run into <blink> and <marquee>.

I could not believe I was looking at document markup from the user guide to a device that's supposed to be bleeding-edge.

If someone on this forum is from Mobipocket, I want to know how in good conscience you can continue to use a completely proprietary document container and HTML that looks like I wrote it back in 5th grade. To everyone else I recommend in the strongest possible terms that this format be avoided wherever possible.

I really, really hope that Amazon adds .epub support to the Kindle sometime soon. I already tried loading a document in that format on the device but was told it's unsupported. Otherwise you really are going to have to rely on Amazon for all your content, and good luck using it anywhere else even without DRM.
schmidt349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
You know, a large number of people try to claw their eyes out when they first see the insides of a Mobipocket file. I'm glad it didn't happen to you.

Welcome to MobileRead.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why not just use the tools that the rest of us use to generate Mobi files - Book Designer or the Mobi Desktop Reader - instead of beating yourself up over something you have no control over?

Yes, Mobi files are Palm Resource (PRC) files; the "BOOKMOBI" string you found is what identifies the specific data contained in the file. "TEXTREAD" is an alternate that you'll find in other Mobi files.

Mobi is pretty much a de facto eBook industry standard - it's certainly available on far more devices than any other format, and has more books available than any other format. There's no point of having hysterics over the fact that it's a rather elderly file format; it won't change and you'll give yourself a heart attack .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:54 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Welcome, schmidt349!

Yeah, okay, Mobi is old. Really old. And they're not especially helpful to programmers and hackers, pretty much leaving them to their own devices. On the other hand, it has the benefit of being able to run on almost any platform imaginable, and already has readers for said platforms. Sometimes there's value to being "old."

For your purposes, you should still be able to do the job of converting... even if you have to make it a 2-step process and convert your DocBook to some other format (like Word DOC or HTML) that Mobipocket Creator, or some other established conversion software, can work from... right? Of was there something I'm missing in your post here (other than your obvious shock and indignation at Mobi)?

Glad you're trying out a Kindle... quite a few of us are experimenting with it, me getting my e-books onto Amazon, for instance. You'll have to let us know how well it reads the DocBook files (once you get them in there).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:04 PM   #5
schmidt349

Well, just a couple of comments, and please don't take them personally.

You can't justify the mobipocket format's intractability by saying "it supports old devices" or "it's a de facto standard." That's the same logic that Microsoft uses to keep us locked into their proprietary binary document formats (and now proprietary XML document formats). If there are industry standards that everyone else has agreed to it makes absolutely no sense not to follow them except if they're trying to monopolize the market by using standards lockout.

It's incidentally the same logic that gave us HTML hell back in the nineties. Neither Netscape nor Microsoft wanted to play by a common set of rules; instead they just did whatever they pleased with HTML as a standard, and by the end it really wasn't one.

The good news is that the Kindle uses the Netfront browser (v3.3) to render HTML. That should make it XHTML and CSS compliant, so if I fiddle things properly I may be able to find a way to go Docbook via XSLT -> XHTML/CSS. Wish me luck.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why not just use the tools that the rest of us use to generate Mobi files - Book Designer or the Mobi Desktop Reader - instead of beating yourself up over something you have no control over?
Oh, they have released a Linux version of these tools then. Or are you just assuming that everybody uses Windows?

Last edited by tompe; 11-24-2007 at 06:10 PM.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:42 PM   #7
schmidt349

Yeah, that was a sticking point for me as well-- I don't do Windows, it gives me heartburn.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:59 PM   #8
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
They're still supposed to release mobigen on Linux, sometime in the future, in a galaxy far far away...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:00 PM   #9
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt349 View Post
You can't justify the mobipocket format's intractability by saying "it supports old devices" or "it's a de facto standard."
I don't think anyone's trying to justify the format. It's just that your complaints are a decade old. Everyone knows what a horror the format is internally.

From a technological view, the format is a travesty. From a marketing view, it's the closest thing to a de facto standard that there is in the commercial e-book market. From a technological view, Amazon probably should developed a new format, or better, worked from an existing open standard. From a marketing view, Amazon's use of the Mobipocket format at least gives the hint of a promise of interoperability in the future.

Personally, I'm willing to bet that to Amazon's target market, the ones who are going to decide if e-books really matter or remain a niche market, things like HTML, XML, OEBP, etc. are just strings of meaningless technobabble.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:42 PM   #10
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I'm thinking they're just following the good old rule: "If it ain't broken, don't fix it".
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:22 PM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
You can't justify the mobipocket format's intractability by saying "it supports old devices" or "it's a de facto standard." That's the same logic that Microsoft uses to keep us locked into their proprietary binary document formats (and now proprietary XML document formats). If there are industry standards that everyone else has agreed to it makes absolutely no sense not to follow them except if they're trying to monopolize the market by using standards lockout.

It's incidentally the same logic that gave us HTML hell back in the nineties. Neither Netscape nor Microsoft wanted to play by a common set of rules; instead they just did whatever they pleased with HTML as a standard, and by the end it really wasn't one.
I wouldn't compare Mobi's creation and development with the Browser Wars... in that case, there was a standardized format that two companies corrupted for their own purposes. In Mobi's case, there was no accepted e-book standard, and they were like every other e-book publisher, creating their own standard based on what they felt was needed.

No, there was nothing right about those publishers creating their own e-book format. They, and all the other e-book makers, could have gone with the closest thing we had to a standard universal format at the time--PDF--and be done with it.

It would have been nice if Amazon had come out with the Kindle about a year from now, based on ePub, the closest thing we have to a new universal XHTML-based format.

But the Kindle came out now, and right now, Mobipocket is the most widely used and widely available e-book standard there is, a no-brainer for a company that wants to sell an e-book reader. You can't blame Amazon for going for the existing and dominant format, instead of creating their own or going with a brand new, untested format... it's enough that they're getting into the hardware business, it's too much to have them turn into programmers, too.

I think we're all hoping that a sensible universal format, like ePub, becomes ubiquitous in the e-book arena. If so, ePub documents will be able to be converted to Kindle/Mobi (and any other format) easily enough.

In the meantime, all we can do is take the tools we're given, and figure out the best way to use them... or, if they are too distasteful, to opt out of using them at all. In other words, that fight is already over, it's time to pick a new battle.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:04 AM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I would like to see an open source alternative to mobigen.exe, but the original may be "good enough". It takes an OEB document (html with a OPF file), or plain HTML, and produces a MOBI file. So the way to produce MobiPocket books is the same as for several of the older e-book formats - start with an actual OEB document and then convert it to the required bastardized commercial OEB variant.

MobiPocket has consistently put all its Desktop resources into Windows, so mobigen.exe is Windows only. My guess is that it would take about a day for someone with its source code to get it working natively under Linux and OSX, but I perhaps it is incredibly Windows-centric (i.e. it might take a week to port) and perhaps MobiPocket only has Windows programmers.

In any case, it is a command-line program that runs using wine under Linux (and probably also using wine under OSX). Wine isn't that hard to install and use under Linux, I don't know how well it works under OSX.

For an earlier related discussion (with many links), see MobiPocket TOC using mobigen
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:51 AM   #13
schmidt349

The problem is not that it's hard to write a Mobipocket parser for any given platform. Using XUL to render the content and grep/XSLT to transform and display the old Mobipocket content seamlessly would take me all of a week. I've already written a Perl program that "unzips" Mobipocket files into a directory structure and rewrites all the nonstandard links in the document so you can just view it in a Web browser, provided of course you can find one that speaks HTML 2.0 (hint: Safari doesn't, at least not properly).

The problem lies in the fact that everyone seems to think it's alright to continue to author content in a format that has enormous limitations tied to the fact that it relies on a firmware data format that was never intended to be used the way it is now.

Seriously, think about it. Would you support an ebook format that wrapped data in an Apple II disk image or a Super Nintendo ROM? If you use .mobi you're doing something exactly parallel.

What's worse, the compression format they use is some ancient undocumented Palm thing; the only reason my program can read it at all is because of the work of a kind soul on CPAN who wrote a Perl script that can decode and parse it. Without that it would probably have taken me weeks to write a specification and implement it properly. I'm a busy man; I don't have 40-hour weeks to spend staring at Mobipocket's idea of a joke.

The .epub format is trivial to write an interpreter for. It just has XHTML documents for the text itself, support files (CSS, JS, images in JPEG and GIF), and an easy-to-read XML manifest for the whole thing, all of it wrapped in a ZIP container. All totally industry-standard and the very same stuff we've been running the Web on since 2000.

So why hasn't Amazon pledged to support it in the Kindle?

What I really wanted to do was convert public-domain XML/SGML versions of ancient Greek and Latin texts into a format that the Kindle could understand so I don't have to carry irreplaceable books around with me. The former's been nixed by the Kindle's complete lack of UTF-8 support (precipitated in part, I shouldn't wonder, by the limitations of the Palm database format) and the latter just doesn't seem worth the effort considering that the conversion would deadend.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:49 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The problem lies in the fact that everyone seems to think it's alright to continue to author content in a format that has enormous limitations tied to the fact that it relies on a firmware data format that was never intended to be used the way it is now.
It's not a matter of thinking that it's alright; it's a purely practical matter of saying "this is the de facto industry standard and it's what we have to live with, like it or not."
Old 11-25-2007, 04:30 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Oh, they have released a Linux version of these tools then. Or are you just assuming that everybody uses Windows?
Heavens no! My only assumption is that anyone to whom the creation of Mobi books is important will have equipped themselves with the tools to create them, whether that's by running natively under Windows, running mobigen under Wine, or whatever.

Creating my own books is absolutely vital to me, so I'd never buy a book reader which didn't allow me to create my own books. I don't run Linux (I have Macs and Windows machines) so I, for example, wouldn't buy any reader whose tools ran only under Linux. I'm assuming it's equally true that someone who didn't run Windows wouldn't buy a reader whose creation tools ran only under Windows. That seems pretty reasonable to me!

You have a CyBook Gen3, don't you? How do you create books for it?