Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-21-2019, 02:41 PM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Lol, I'm waiting for the eventual discounts.
Do iPads ever get discounted? I can't recall it ever happening!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #62
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They do...I bought another Mini 128gb in August of 2017 when they had them reduced to $299.

Edited to correct date and price.

Last edited by Deskisamess; 03-21-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:04 PM   #63
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
In the US, sure. The iPad 6th gen is regularly selling for $249/32GB and $329/128GB here (MSRP $329 and $429 respectively). I think their policy on retailer discounting changed after Steve Jobs passed away.

Black Friday/Cyber Monday, it's pretty much guaranteed that there will be sales on the iPads.

Caveat, it's usually the wifi-only models that go on sale. The LTE models are rarely discounted (apart from the standard 2-year contract carrier discounts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
I SHOULD be doing that, definitely would be the more thrifty thing to do. But my old trusty Nexus 7, though I reinvigorated it with a custom ROM that got me to Android 8.1, is just giving up the ghost due to aging battery, loose charging port, other issues not easily/cheaply resolved. So I needed a 7" to 8" tablet solution basically now.
Lol, if I were in your position, I'd probably jump on the latest models, too.

As it is I've got a Pro 9.7 LTE which is my daily driver, a Pro 12.9 LTE that doesn't get used as often and a mini 4 ($279/128GB at Best Buy) that barely sees any use.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 03-21-2019 at 03:09 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:08 PM   #64
WestCactus
Zealot
WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Oasis 1 & 3, Fire 8
Quote:
By Apple no but other retailers yes. Best Buy has the new mini on iPad $25 off preorders.
WestCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:11 PM   #65
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
I can't say for iPads specifically, but when I bought my current MacBook Pro 15" a few years ago I got it through Amazon for $100 less than Apple's best price. So apparently Amazon has some leeway to discount Apple items. But it is rare that Apple offers discounts, even in the USA.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:21 PM   #66
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You have to buy one now. They're just too cool, think about that new A12 CPU, or the improved colors, or the faster graphics processing......
I haven't figured out how to pull cash out of my backside yet, so unfortunately I have to wait until payday.

Quote:
I SHOULD be doing that, definitely would be the more thrifty thing to do. But my old trusty Nexus 7, though I reinvigorated it with a custom ROM that got me to Android 8.1, is just giving up the ghost due to aging battery, loose charging port, other issues not easily/cheaply resolved. So I needed a 7" to 8" tablet solution basically now.
I have a Asus Google Nexus 7 generation 2 (2013). I only use it for apps I cannot get on my iPads. Mostly for camera control apps since Apple is averse to giving those fuller control of the iPad. I like it except for the gosh awful Android OS. I also don't trust Google with my data, so my Nexus has nothing as far as personal data on it other than my Gmail account name which was required to set up the tablet. I have no contacts, calendar entries, or anything on it. BTW, the Asus Google Nexus 7 generation 2 (2013) has the same pixel density as the iPad mini 5, albeit with a smaller screen resolution of 1920x1200 and 0.9" smaller diagonal length. Also the Nexus has a LCD screen that only supports sRGB color space whereas the iPad mini 5 supports the newer P3 color space that allows more saturation. Over all the Nexus is a great little tablet for being 6 years old.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:23 PM   #67
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I can't say for iPads specifically, but when I bought my current MacBook Pro 15" a few years ago I got it through Amazon for $100 less than Apple's best price. So apparently Amazon has some leeway to discount Apple items. But it is rare that Apple offers discounts, even in the USA.
Interesting thing there, Apple removed the iPod touch from Amazon for a time and they weren't authorized retailers for iPads initially because of Amazon's discounting policy. It's only last year that Amazon became an authorized retailer for iPads (although Apple's policy on discounting seems to have gotten more relaxed circa 2013/14).
Old 03-21-2019, 03:27 PM   #68
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Interesting thing there, Apple removed the iPod touch from Amazon for a time and they weren't authorized retailers for iPads initially because of Amazon's discounting policy. It's only last year that Amazon became an authorized retailer for iPads (although Apple's policy on discounting seems to have gotten more relaxed circa 2013/14).
Apple used to be really strict on retailers giving discounts back in the 1990s. I remember one retailer in Austin that I went to I think called Computer City that Apple took away their license to sell anything from Apple because they gave holiday discounts. Some retailers tried getting around that policy by using Apple's approved price but giving away for free a printer or some other accessory. Apple got pissed over that policy too.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #69
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Over all the Nexus is a great little tablet for being 6 years old.
Indeed, in the brief time that tablets have existed, I think it is the best small Android tablet ever created, and its usability and specs still surpass nearly all Android tablets being made today under 8", with only a couple of exceptions. Considering I got my 2013 Wifi version for $269, and it had the high res screen and 32GB storage, a pretty amazing deal at the time. I totally wish Google would update this device and make one with a faster CPU, 4GB RAM, an SD card, and Android 9. If they made this in 7 or 8" size, I would buy this immediately and ahead of the Ipad Mini so I could stay on Android. The Mini is a great piece of hardware, looking forward to it as my first iThingy, but truth be told, I'd stay on Android if there was a tablet I actually liked in this same form factor.

You might be interested in my thread how I updated the Nexus 7 to Android 8.1. If you still use yours, this might help you get a little new life out of it:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=315679

Last edited by maximus83; 03-21-2019 at 03:58 PM. Reason: corrected price
Old 03-21-2019, 04:02 PM   #70
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Depends where you live. Not in Australia. You can get refurbs (which arent much cheaper than new) or you can get last year's model in one of a few reseller stores, and sometimes not even discounted. Depends on the store.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:03 PM   #71
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Indeed, in the brief time that tablets have existed, I think it is the best small Android tablet ever created, and its usability and specs still surpass nearly all Android tablets being made today under 8", with only a couple of exceptions.
Lol, yeah, the Nexus 7 2013 was the best Android tablet I've used. Quad-core Krait+2GB RAM paired with AOSP Android and WUXGA resolution made for one very nice tablet. My only complaint is no SD card slot and battery wasn't too good compared to iPads.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:04 PM   #72
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
I haven't figured out how to pull cash out of my backside yet, so unfortunately I have to wait until payday.
LOL! Me too, *and* I am expecting a massive electricity bill for this quarter so must wait til after that comes, and is paid. Think I'll be waiting a while.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:07 PM   #73
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Back when I bought my Mini I got it for $275 instead of $399.

It's not always, but it's also not super uncommon to see smallish $20 or discounts/sales from time to time with better offers around Black Friday or offers where when buying from a certain store they give you a gift card for purchasing from them. IIRC there were some deals around the time kids were going back to school last year too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:16 PM   #74
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Depends where you live. Not in Australia. You can get refurbs (which arent much cheaper than new) or you can get last year's model in one of a few reseller stores, and sometimes not even discounted. Depends on the store.
I think the Apple sold refurbs are only discounted about 15% here in the USA, so not much. But at least they are guaranteed with a decent warranty. Apple reminds me of Monty Burns on the Simpsons. Ask them for a discount and they say, "Release the hounds, Smithers!"
Old 03-22-2019, 03:11 AM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCactus View Post
By Apple no but other retailers yes. Best Buy has the new mini on iPad $25 off preorders.
That explains it - thanks! I've only ever bought directly from Apple.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote