Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-21-2019, 05:16 PM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, I’m afraid I haven’t.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:19 PM   #32
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
@Harry, I'm interested in this now since I'll be getting an iOS device and want a tool for light, occasional PDF editing.

Curious as I saw some reviewers of the Goodreader app also mention this other PDF reader and light markup editor. Have you tried it?

Reader:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pdf-...le/id743974925
I've tried PDF Expert and I think GoodReader is still better for markup.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:10 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I've tried PDF Expert and I think GoodReader is still better for markup.
The reason I recommend it isn't because of its markup abilities (good though they are), but because of its ability to allow you to easily have multiple documents (or different parts of the same document) open and rapidly flip between them. That's a fundamental requirement for academic use, and yet something that's completely neglected by almost all other reading apps.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #34
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The reason I recommend it isn't because of its markup abilities (good though they are), but because of its ability to allow you to easily have multiple documents (or different parts of the same document) open and rapidly flip between them. That's a fundamental requirement for academic use, and yet something that's completely neglected by almost all other reading apps.
I think being able to have multiple documents open is probably standard for PDF readers. PDF Expert can do that, too, and iirc, so does Adobe's free PDF reader.

Not so sure about being able to open different parts of the same document simultaneously. Curious what version of GoodReader was that added? I don't remember that being an option on earlier versions.

Lol, when I was studying for a licensing exam, I borrowed my brother's iPad and used two iPad 2s so I could view different books or different pages of the same book or really, just different content side by side. That was my split view. Worked with any app, too.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Not so sure about being able to open different parts of the same document simultaneously. Curious what version of GoodReader was that added? I don't remember that being an option on earlier versions.
It's been able to do it for quite a while. Tap and hold on a tab title and select "Duplicate Tab" from the pop-up. You can then scroll the two tabs to different positions. Very handy when there's reference information at the back of a book!
Old 03-22-2019, 10:36 AM   #36
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's been able to do it for quite a while. Tap and hold on a tab title and select "Duplicate Tab" from the pop-up. You can then scroll the two tabs to different positions. Very handy when there's reference information at the back of a book!
Interesting. I never knew about that. Certainly convenient when one needs to look at appendices, etc. Thanks!

Lol, I've always had access to multiple iPads so I just grabbed a second one whenever I needed to view multiple documents simultaneously.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:10 AM   #37
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Interesting. I never knew about that. Certainly convenient when one needs to look at appendices, etc. Thanks!

Lol, I've always had access to multiple iPads so I just grabbed a second one whenever I needed to view multiple documents simultaneously.
How many devices does one have, what happens when one needs to have n+1 pdfs open simultaneously, go buy another device?

Mini rant... This use to be a nice standard feature with most Windows "document" apps. Most apps use to have splitter bars so you could have multiple views of the same document.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:56 AM   #38
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
How many devices does one have, what happens when one needs to have n+1 pdfs open simultaneously, go buy another device?
Nah, there's only so many books you can have open at a time before they get hard to deal with. I just did 2x iPads + an iPhone as calculator or mini-reference.

That said, we do have more iPads in the household than there are people. Every member has one and I kept older iPads after upgrading for certain legacy apps/functionality. I actually used to have more Android tablets than iPads, while I was trying to find something to replace the iPad with but eventually gave up.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:14 PM   #39
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Quote:

I still do that on e-ink readers often, because mine don't have that multitab option for pdfs, or if one is considerably better for reading while another device (eink or tablet) at the note taking or for dictionaries.

On iPad I'd just usually make another copy of the pdf though, and then use multi-tabs in the same reader, or as I used to do with iPad 1 & 4, I'd simply use two or three different readers opened simultaneously (with a copy of the same book), quickly switching between the readers with a swipe.

I use the same method for various dictionaries too, as independent apps or pdfs.

Last edited by Marinolino; 03-25-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote