Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-26-2019, 03:24 PM   #676
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonHess View Post
Not that I'm aware of.
Everything functions properly, the font is the only thing corrupted it seems.
I'd like to try uninstalling KSM completely and then reinstalling, but I can't navigate the menus to do so since I don't know which option is which.
I also haven't tried factory resetting my Kobo, but I'm willing to if it might fix things.
Koreader, Plato, and vlasovsoft all display and work properly.
Did you copy a custom font into .adds\kbmenu_user\fonts\? If yes and this font got corrupted somehow, replace it.

If the default font of KSM, which is on the system partition, got corrupted, copy a font into .adds\kbmenu_user\fonts\, so that KSM uses this font instead of the default font. You should then be able to navigate properly through KSM and deinstall/repair it. Be aware that fonts located in .adds\kbmenu_user\fonts\ are only used as long as you do not connect from within KSM to the pc.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:55 PM   #677
DevonHess
Can't actually read
DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kindle PW2
That fixed it! Thank you very much. Working perfectly now.
I never messed with custom fonts, so I'm not sure what the original problem was.
DevonHess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2019, 04:39 PM   #678
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonHess View Post
That fixed it! Thank you very much. Working perfectly now.
I never messed with custom fonts, so I'm not sure what the original problem was.
Do you say that you did never copied a font to .adds\kbmenu_user\fonts\ before? If this is the case, it seems that the default font (on the system partition) is corrupted or that KSM cannot access it for some reason. This will become a problem when you connect from within KSM to the pc.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:11 AM   #679
DevonHess
Can't actually read
DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Do you say that you did never copied a font to .adds\kbmenu_user\fonts\ before? If this is the case, it seems that the default font (on the system partition) is corrupted or that KSM cannot access it for some reason. This will become a problem when you connect from within KSM to the pc.
Yeah, it's very strange. Maybe I messed with the kbmenu_user folder unintentionally somehow. I'm not sure, but I tested connecting to my PC from KSM and it works without issue.

Wish I knew what went wrong in the first place, but at least I have peace of mind now that I know it's easily fixable.
DevonHess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:59 AM   #680
Rickpcmp3
Rickpcmp3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Goo HD
I have a Forma w/ KSM9 and the Koreader, and the Nickel menu option. Ever since I updated the software (didn't really mean to, as I thought I was downloading an Overdrive book) I go into boot loop when I try to exit the KSM and go into Nickel. Koreader, and other KSM functions appear to work fine still.

Any suggestions on how I could fix this or downgrade to the previous firmware?
Rickpcmp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2019, 12:34 PM   #681
gilali
Connoisseur
gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: KOBO Libra + H2Ov2 + Aura2
Arrow KSM09 on Kobo Libra

I have just opened a thread to install KSM09 on Kobo Libra.
I need help to drive me to make KSM compatible with Libra

New thread here

Thank you in advance
gilali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:43 PM   #682
gilali
Connoisseur
gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: KOBO Libra + H2Ov2 + Aura2
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
I replaced the drivers for the display and also used update_ids.zip.

I have already specified some settings specifically for the Forma in this KSM 9 installation.

Everything works for me now for the Forma!
Can you help me do the same for Kobo Libra ? The devices are similar, it may be help. Here's my new thread
gilali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:21 PM   #683
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickpcmp3 View Post
I have a Forma w/ KSM9 and the Koreader, and the Nickel menu option. Ever since I updated the software (didn't really mean to, as I thought I was downloading an Overdrive book) I go into boot loop when I try to exit the KSM and go into Nickel. Koreader, and other KSM functions appear to work fine still.

Any suggestions on how I could fix this or downgrade to the previous firmware?
I did not follow the kobo threads very attentively and therefore I don't know much what is going on currently (and what happened during the last year or so). So be warned!

If you are not sure which firmware version is installed on your device, find it out by selecting (you might have to "toggle btw full and short menu" to find "scripts"):
Code:
scripts > tests > returntests.msh > getversion.sh
Search on Mobileread for information concerning your firmware version and try to figure out what might cause the problem. Cf. also this post. Be aware that since then a further firmware has been released. Things might have changed again. I did not read the concerning thread. It might be still advisable to modify Kobo eReader.conf.

As a next step you could try to start nickel by selecting:
Code:
tools > nickel diverse.msh > start nickel no fmon.sh
If this works browse through the libraries and delete those books that have been imported by nickel by mistake (files that belong to KSM or Koreader, etc.).
If any of the KSM pngs like exit_nickel.png etc is displayed on the home screen, remove them form there. Power off the device by using the power button. Restart it and try to launch nickel regularly from the KSM home screen.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:30 AM   #684
rogerty
rogerty began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo hd
kobo start menu not working, nothing happens when power on

Hello,

I have a Kobo glo hd, updated to the latest firmware method, but after installing it and rebooting (step 2), nothing happens: Kobo shows its default launcher; I can see the icons from the folder 'kbmenupngs', and I'd already copied the KoboRoot.tgz and rebooted; It was installed as I saw the installation progress indicators.

I'd not installed the updates yet, as I assume that I shoud see ksm when I power on the device, but this is not the case.

I want it to work because I cannot install Plato-0.7.7_KOReader-v2019.10 along with pbchess_2019.02.05_kobo (If I install Plato+KOReader, pbchess does not start (only its icon launcher is shown)), and I hope I could achieve it with ksm...

Thanks !
rogerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:38 AM   #685
rogerty

something is wrong on the installation process

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerty View Post
Hello,

I have a Kobo glo hd, updated to the latest firmware method, but after installing it and rebooting (step 2), nothing happens: Kobo shows its default launcher; I can see the icons from the folder 'kbmenupngs', and I'd already copied the KoboRoot.tgz and rebooted; It was installed as I saw the installation progress indicators.

I'd not installed the updates yet, as I assume that I shoud see ksm when I power on the device, but this is not the case.

I want it to work because I cannot install Plato-0.7.7_KOReader-v2019.10 along with pbchess_2019.02.05_kobo (If I install Plato+KOReader, pbchess does not start (only its icon launcher is shown)), and I hope I could achieve it with ksm...

Thanks !
I've just tried to install the updates: as the instructions show, "How to install KSM updates: copy the KSM09_updateXXX.zip (as it is, do not unzip) into .adds\kbmenu_user"... but I cannot see the ".adds" folder ! Even I cannot create the folder from windows 10, as it says "you must type a filename".

It seems that something is going very wrong in the install process. Can you help me ? I'm lost here...
Old 10-24-2019, 08:42 AM   #686
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks !
Recently the Kobo updates introduced some changes. I do not know how they can actually prevent KSM from starting. I for one did not let my devices update for some time now. If you like to try installing KSM again, I would recommand that you first factory reset your device to have a clean start. After updating to the latest firmware, edit the configuration file as indicated in post 672. Only then start installing KSM. As for the KSM updates, you can only install them when KSM is already running. As update 1 is already included in the installation package, there is no need to install it again.

Last edited by tshering; 10-24-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:08 AM   #687
rogerty

ksm continues to be missing after installing on my kobo glo hd

Quote:
Recently the Kobo updates introduced some changes. I do not know how they can actually prevent KSM from starting. I for one did not let my devices update for some time now. If you like to try installing KSM again, I would recommand that you first factory reset your device to have a clean start. After updating to the latest firmware, edit the configuration file as indicated in post 672. Only then start installing KSM. As for the KSM updates, you can only install them when KSM is already running. As update 1 is already included in the installation package, there is no need to install it again.
Thanks for your help, but it didn't work ; I think that I've followed well all the required steps:

(My Kobo glo hd firmware version is 4.18.13737)

- Reset to factory settings
- edited the config file to include the mentioned section
- reboot
- copied the kbmenupngs folder, disconnect, update icons
- connect again, copied KoboRoot.tgz, disconnected, ... then I saw that system was updating (it really did something), but then, when kobo reboots...

... nickel starts again (the kobo launcher), and I cannot see that KSM.

Also, I cannot see the adds folder in the root of kobo (I suppose it had to be, as KoboRoot.tgz contains it, among other things)...

Thanks in advance (again) ,

Roger
Old 10-24-2019, 11:49 AM   #688
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Also, I cannot see the adds folder in the root of kobo (I suppose it had to be, as KoboRoot.tgz contains it, among other things)...

Thanks in advance (again) ,

Roger
That there is no .adds folder in the user partition is rather strange. Since you copied the KoboRoot.tgz to the .kobo folder, I assume you can see dot folders, and would see the .adds folder if it where there. This is really strange. It is hard to believe that the folder is not created at all. Could it possibly be that nickel deletes it before restarting the device?
Old 10-24-2019, 02:22 PM   #689
tshering
Wizard

@rogerty
I ask this question to exclude this possibility, and since you dealt with several KoboRoot.tgz files recently. Are you sure you installed the one from KBStartMenu_09_plus_update_001.zip?
Old 10-24-2019, 04:44 PM   #690
rogerty

Talking finally got it working

Quote:
That there is no .adds folder in the user partition is rather strange. Since you copied the KoboRoot.tgz to the .kobo folder, I assume you can see dot folders, and would see the .adds folder if it where there. This is really strange. It is hard to believe that the folder is not created at all. Could it possibly be that nickel deletes it before restarting the device?

Thanks for your help ! I finally got it all working; that's what I did:

The key issue is that I had to really reset to factory, but NOT the normal reset on the settings menu, but the full one: on the kobo glo hd, you achieve it by turning on the device, keeping the power button pressed while tapping repeatedly the lower left and right corners (see https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Reset:_Glo_HD)

I guess that some other things like these two I've installed caused my previous attempts to fail, and the reset option from the settings did not fixed them:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=323083
or this:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_WiFi_Hacking

Then, I installed the full package from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=314220 ( Plato-0.7.7_KOReader-v2019.10.zip), USING THE SCRIPT method found on post #2

Thad made koreader and plato working again...

Finally, I've installed Kobo Start Menu 09 from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=293804, and it worked !

Then I've installed pbchess from http://www.pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/en/index.html, by copying only the vlasovsoft folder to the .adds folder, and then I can acces everything from KSM.

Note that as long as I've installed KSM, koreader and plato stopped working from the default kobo shell and must be executed from ksm. But that is expected, I think, 'cos launchers are mutually exclusive.