Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
boydcarts
Connoisseur
boydcarts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi, iPad2
Unchangeable font in some books?

I read Margaret Atwood's novel "The Year of the Flood" yesterday and discovered that I wasn't able to change the font style. All the font choices were available to me (none were "grayed out"), and when I selected a font on the touchscreen, the screen would tell me it was changing the font, but it never changed fonts when the screen refreshed. The touch screen would display what ever font I had chosen, but the e-ink display was always "Light Classic."
I thought that perhaps the font was locked by the publisher, so I went back and checked "Oryx and Crake", and I was able to change font styles on that book. Has anyone else run across this?
(both great books by the way!)
boydcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
curio
Enthusiast
curio began at the beginning.

Device: nook Wi-Fi
I assume it is a PDF -- it's not possible to change fonts in PDFs, only in ePUB-format books.
curio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
boydcarts
Connoisseur

No, it's not a PDF. It's an ePub bought directly from B&N.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
If an EPUB uses embedded fonts, those can't be changed. This is a very useful feature for EPUBs written in, say, Russian or Greek, because the NOOK doesn't have fonts for those languages. Some e-books choose to use this feature for English, and if they do the NOOK will use the embedded font.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
boydcarts
Connoisseur

I'd guess that is the correct answer. Odd that they did it though. Thanks Doug
Advert