Device: Kobo Libra H20
Kindle Voyage update problem

Hello, my Kindle Voyage was auto updated but is stuck at the following screen:

Click image for larger version

Name:	QqrfQeq.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	185898

If I hold the power button for 40 seconds the only thing that happens is that the update restarts and get stuck at the same screen again.

I have been searching for "Update Error: 5" but I can only find "there is not enough storage space for the update" - however since I cant access the Kindle in any way I cant clear space.

And there was a lot of space free before the update.

Any hints or suggestions ?

Last edited by issybird; 03-12-2021 at 08:22 AM.
Pulver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 05:29 AM   #2
Pulver
Pulver began at the beginning.

At Amazon support they were not able to help me since I cant access the device if I connect with a micro-usb to a computer
Advert
Old 02-27-2021, 06:02 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulver View Post
At Amazon support they were not able to help me since I cant access the device if I connect with a micro-usb to a computer
I "love it" when automatic updates screw up your working e-Reader and you're told that "you're on your own."
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:36 AM   #4
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
This is definitely unacceptable. I would insist they fix what they messed up.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:35 PM   #5
scotrick
scotrick began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
So, they would help you if you could get the device recognized?
I have one stuck in a loop, but the computer will see it...
Meanwhile, I can recommend checking on iFixit for their guides about how to remove the battery, perhaps that would shock it out of the loop?
And allow a replacement BIN I dunno..
scotrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2021, 06:24 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I assume you've done the 40 second power button hold and the 30(?) second "hold the power button" after connecting to your computer "reset." I read about that somewhere. Not sure if it works if your computer doesn't recognize the Voyage.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:58 AM   #7
eddie.t.h
Groupie
eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Too Much Kindle :-)
Probably, if the reboots do not change anything, you will have to connect to the serial port and reinstall the software.
eddie.t.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:22 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Hello, my Kindle Voyage was auto updated but is stuck at the following screen:

If I hold the power button for 40 seconds the only thing that happens is that the update restarts and get stuck at the same screen again.

I have been searching for "Update Error: 5" but I can only find "there is not enough storage space for the update" - however since I cant access the Kindle in any way I cant clear space.

And there was a lot of space free before the update.

Are you sure you can't connect because it is in the process of updating? There are reports of problems with connecting (a read a lot of them in the Kobo section), maybe try different ports, cables, or a hub, device manager?

Good luck.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:05 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
QUOTE:

Error 5

Also, error 5 is caused by Problems with the tmp temporary folder, for example, there is not enough free space or the update program cannot create a folder there. When your device doesn’t have enough space to temporary [sic] store your update file for your device to update, you experience such error.

How to fix kindle update error 5.

Kindle support recommends that you eliminate specific, less relevant files to make room for the update files. Delete some old unwanted files from your kindle device if you need kindle help contact kindle support for further diagnostics.

END QUOTE

I think a monkey wrote the above sentences, so please ignore the run-on sentence, etc.*

* Not that there's anything wrong with owning a monkey, but I wouldn't trust one to write my obituary.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-12-2021 at 08:15 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:14 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
* Not that there's anything wrong with owning a monkey, but I wouldn't trust one to write my obituary.
Too late. It's already been written by a monkey. It was the cheapest we could get the obituary for.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:05 AM   #11
Pulver
Pulver began at the beginning.

I have given up since I cant access the Kindle.

The loop has however changed from an update loop to a boot loop.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:29 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Too late. It's already been written by a monkey. It was the cheapest we could get the obituary for.

I did not know that!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote