Notices

Old 08-24-2011, 05:15 AM   #1
BranMakMorn
Enthusiast
BranMakMorn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre + iPad + iAnnotate

Dear all,

first of all, I've already read the Calibre + Apple iDevices: Start here thread, but it really didn't answer my question. Hope you can help!

Ok, here's the thing. I'm going to get an iPad2 soon since it's the only device that at the moment is really able to do what I need: read and annotate pdfs (with the iAnnotate app) so that the annotations will be permanently saved on the file, and will be displayed anywhere that pdf is opened.

Now, I've got about 7gb of Calibre library, 99% of which all pdfs. What I need is a way for my (future) iPad to: open the files from the Calibre library on my PC, save the annotations I make, *and sync it back to my PC*, so that next time I open any of those files, the annotations done via iPad will be there.

The obvious solution would be: put the Calibre folder into Dropbox, and it'll take care of the sync. Unfortunately, Dropbox is too small (2gb) and I'm not going to pay monthly to have extra space - there must be some alternative way.

So, the question is: will I be able to open pdfs from the Calibre server at home into iAnnotate so that any change to the file will be synced with those stored in my PC (well, technically it wouldn't even be a sync...)?

Thanks!!
BranMakMorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, it isn't. Incidentally, you can use Xournal to annotate any PDF on any linux based device and not have to waste time end running around Apple's asinine usage restrictions.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
BranMakMorn
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No, it isn't. Incidentally, you can use Xournal to annotate any PDF on any linux based device and not have to waste time end running around Apple's asinine usage restrictions.
Thanks a lot for the reply, and for the advice on linux devices...but I actually don't get if you have answered my question. What isn't?
Old 08-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It isn't possible to use the content server to reverse sync files from the ipad to the calibre library.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
BranMakMorn
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It isn't possible to use the content server to reverse sync files from the ipad to the calibre library.
Ok thanks a lot!
Advert