Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 05-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

United States: U.S. Constitution with Amendments. v1 17 May 2010

So I was surprised to find that while the United States Declaration of Independence and the Constitution with the Bill of Rights was here, the full current Constitution with all amendments was not. So here it is.

This is of course subject to change, but fortunately with great difficulty. The writers of the original document were wise to make modification through amendments difficult. This has served to keep all sorts of nonsense out of this great document.

In fact reading this entire document I was impressed with it once more and could only find one foolish amendment: Amendment XVIII better known as the Prohibition Amendment. There was actually an interesting piece in Smithsonian Magazine about how this amendment came to pass in such short order. It was due to the coming together of some strange bedfellows: The Ku Klux Klan, The Industrial Workers of the World (wobblies), Suffragettes, the Temperance Movement, as well as various churches. This confluence also produced ratification of Amendment XIX—women’s suffrage—so there really is a silver lining to every cloud.

The prohibition amendment banned the manufacture, importation, and sale of “intoxicating liquors” but not possession or use; weed advocates should note. In any case it was voided by Amendment XXI fourteen years later. Though this just removed the Federal prohibition, to this day some areas of the country remain ‘dry.’

Arguably one of the most important amendments subsequent to the Bill of Rights was the Amendment XIV that guaranteed equal protection under law to all persons in the U.S. The intent of this amendment, passed shortly after the Civil War, was to guarantee equal rights to blacks. This intent was pretty much ignored from the end of Reconstruction up until the modern Civil Rights movement. The amendment was used as one of the bases to set the precedent that corporations have the same rights as individual citizens (Louisville etc. R.R. vs. Letson). I consider that ironic.

Two other things I found of interest in reading through this.

In Article I Section 8 paragraph 8 one finds that the original writers were concerned with promoting creativity by guaranteeing intellectual property rights.

The entire body of the Constitution and Amendments contain no reference to God, and in fact the only mention of religion is to prohibit the government from establishment of religion.

I have also uploaded all the XHTML files and other associated files as a single ZIP file for those who would like to view just using a web browser. Just unzip the files to a folder and used index,xhtml to navigate.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub constitution.epub (188.7 KB, 2473 views)
File Type: zip constitution.zip (186.1 KB, 1062 views)
Old 05-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Thank you for uploading. This, in my opinion, is one of the most important documents written in the last few hundred years.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert