Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-26-2018, 05:30 PM   #1
Josette88
Josette88 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Help - transfer from Kobo E-reader to Calibre?

Hello,

My laptop crashed and my back-up turned out to not be complete. Is there a way to move everything from my Kobo e-reader to my calibre library while keeping the metadata complete?

Thanks,
Josette
Josette88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:35 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
For sideloaded books on the device you can. Connect the device, go to the device list and select the books. Then right click on the and select the option to add the books to calibre (sorry, can't check exactly what the menu item is called). The sideloaded books should be added to calibre and you should get a message about any purchased and downloaded books being "virtual books". These do not get added by this method.

The metadata used will be whatever is in the book when it was put onto the device.

If you need to add the purchased books, you will need to Obok plugin that is part of the DRM tools.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2018, 03:27 AM   #3
Josette88

Thank you.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:00 AM   #4
Josette88

It mostly worked. I'm missing the collections on Calibre, is it possible to match those to the matching collections on my Kobo e-reader?

I've already added the option for collections in Calibre, but the ones from my e-reader didn't get added to Calibre.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:45 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you plugged the device in since you added the books to calibre and configured the collections? Assuming you have the collection management configured the same as before, this should just work. If you were using columns in the library for the collections, then they should have data and the collections created automatically.

But, there is a function in my Kobo Utilities plugin that can fetch the collections from the device into a column. That should be able to get the collections for you.
Advert
Old 02-28-2018, 05:33 AM   #6
Josette88

I did plug in my device, but it didn't work.

Your plugin did, so thank you so much!!
Old 02-28-2018, 09:53 AM   #7
Josette88

My entire library is back, but I can't send new books to my kobo device. It is listed as on the reader in calibre, but if I close calibre and open it again, it is no longer listed as on the reader. When I open the reader, it is not on it.

Could this have anything to do with the fact that the others were copied from the device?
Old 02-28-2018, 08:43 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josette88 View Post
My entire library is back, but I can't send new books to my kobo device. It is listed as on the reader in calibre, but if I close calibre and open it again, it is no longer listed as on the reader. When I open the reader, it is not on it.
If you send a book to the device, close calibre and reopen it without ejecting the device, the book will no longer be seen as on the device. This is a limitation in how the KoboTouch driver finds the books on the Kobo devices. The books must be imported into the internal database after the device is ejected.

When new books are added to the device and it is ejected, the device should import the book. When this happens a black screen is displayed with a progress bar as they are imported. With recent firmware, this happens a few seconds after the home screen is displayed. If this doesn't happen, then the device didn't detect any new books. This could be because you replaced existing books, or because they were put into locations that the device doesn't look (mainly a directory whose name starts with a dot). The latter shouldn't happen when you use calibre.

If the import does happen on the device but the books aren't seen, then it usually means there is a problem in a book and the device rejected it. Unfortunately, there are no errors displayed when this happens. And if a group of books are sent, then one failing can prevent the others from being imported.

If it is this, you need to find the bad book, remove it and fix it. It sounds like you are only adding a few books, so removing them and adding them one at a time should find the problem book. Fixing it is a little harder. I haven't been able to work out what causes these problems. I tend to do some cleaning of books before sending them to the device, so this probably prevents the problems. But, an epub to epub conversion will probably solve it. Or opening it in the calibre editor and running the error checking and fixing the problems will do it.
Quote:
Could this have anything to do with the fact that the others were copied from the device?
No, that isn't going to be the problem.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:00 AM   #9
Josette88

It was a corrupt book. Everything works fine now. Thank you!