Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
I think this review encapsulates my concerns with the edge

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/12/e...e-edge-review/
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
devseev
devseev began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
some valid points but generally misses the mark

I read the review, but find it too focused on what's NOT there rather than describing what IS. In particular there's very little discussion of the points where the device really shines and stands out: interaction of two screens, working with PDFs, portable office/classroom use. (See my own comparison of pros/cons compared to Kindle DX, iPad, and tablet PC http://u.nu/8snk7)

Here's a more balanced view of the criticisms stated in the article:

1. Device size/weight - obviously this is heavier/bigger than a Kindle DX, but since it has twice the screen real estate and much more functionality than any other ereader out there I think it's a bit of an unfair comparison. Clearly this is not meant for handholding it for extended period of time.

2. Slow stylus annotation/writing - not sure the reviewer had the auto- smoothing and background lines turned off, early reports suggest this greatly improves the e-ink speed. The fact that stylus works on the E-ink side is pretty amazing to begin with, and most reports I've seen have praised this function as working really well.

3. Poor battery life - maybe the spec 6 hrs (LCD + e-ink) to 16 hours (e-ink) is actually lower, but I haven't seen much evidence of that so far. If the specs are true, then I'd consider that pretty good battery life, enabling a full day of classes / office use with charging overnight. The battery life is comparable to netbooks and better than a laptop, which I think is quite good for a two-screen device. For those super-long days, it might be worth investing in a second battery.

4. Inadequate bookstore - yes, the Entourage bookstore doesn't offer the widest selection, but you can buy books elsewhere (Adobe Digital Editions) too. More importantly, the device seems targeted to students and office professionals who deal with a lot of PDFs. There is obviously no way for a startup to compete with Amazon or B&N on content, so their efforts in this area (including some newly announced periodicals deals) should be applauded, but will never be a core strength of the device.

5. Frustrating touchscreen experience - can't really comment on this, since my device hasn't arrived yet, but it might largely be a matter of getting used to. Remember when you got your iPhone how you could barely type a word on that virtual keyboard? What I do know is that the absence of touch on my Kindle DX really is annoying, and that tiny "real" keyboard at the bottom is a joke. Just about anything is better than that.

6. Non-functioning hardware - Ok, it's definitely odd to get a unit with bluetooth, camera and flash lite support promised via software update in the unspecified future. But Entourage -- a startup -- should get lots of credit for actually shipping a device while huge companies can only manage vaporware videos ([cough] MS Courier [cough]). We've heard about Plastic Logic's QUE reader for years now - now the ship date has been pushed back AGAIN.

7. Lack of Android apps - okay, lack of Android Marketplace (coming soon, from what I understand) is a bummer for now, although apps CAN be downloaded from developer sites (which the review does not mention). Even more of a bummer is the fact that there just aren't a huge number of Android apps (compared to windows or iphone) and those that are out there are generally not programmed to take advantage of the eDGe's screen size. I'm hopeful, though, that as Android tablets gain in popularity, people will develop apps for it.

Overall, as a cutting-edge device (no pun intended) the device has a number of kinks to work out and may not be right for everyone, but I'm sure glad it's out there since it looks to be exactly the type of thing I've been looking for to use as a lawyer who works with a lot of PDFs.

Last edited by devseev; 03-12-2010 at 05:37 PM. Reason: add hyperlinks
devseev is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
mgm1979
Zealot
mgm1979 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage eDGe
yeah, b/c Engadget reviewers are always the most thorough "journalists" (tongue in cheek) out there...and their "followers" commenting on the review believe every single word like its the word of God (pick one, any one).

We've got enough REAL WORLD USER insights in the "Which one..." section to base your decision on, before you put 2 cents into that review...

(note: Engadget also reported a few weeks ago that the device wasn't going to ship on time - the site said March, rather than February based on the SECOND wave of shipments - and also that the price was going up b/c Entourage missed their mark...)

I lose more and more faith in that sight, as far as non-biased reviews go...they're no better than CNN, in that respect.
mgm1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm1979 View Post
yeah, b/c Engadget reviewers are always the most thorough "journalists" (tongue in cheek) out there...and their "followers" commenting on the review believe every single word like its the word of God (pick one, any one).

We've got enough REAL WORLD USER insights in the "Which one..." section to base your decision on, before you put 2 cents into that review...

I lose more and more faith in that sight, as far as non-biased reviews go...they're no better than CNN, in that respect.
In other words, the engadget people are fake people? I'm glad that you like your Edge but sites that review the device like engadget/cnet/gizmodo/etc base their reviews on actually using the gadget.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
I...sites that review the device like engadget/cnet/gizmodo/etc base their reviews on actually using the gadget.
How long did they use the gadget and how did they use it? CNET reviewed the Sony PRS-900 and stated the device was just like the other Sony Readers, with no replaceable battery. Clearly this statement shows that the reviewer's impressions would not be that of someone who purchased the device and actually used it for the purposes of which is was acquired. You must insert the battery and put the back cover on before you can use the device.

With regard to ebook readers, reviews from MobileTechReview and TheeBookReader are examples of quality, real life user reviews (written and video).
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
The fact that Engadget's final suggestion was to buy a Kindle DX *or* a netbook, not this thing (which they said tried to do both) was very telling IMO. And, on which of those two devices am I supposed to make handwritten notes?

EDITED: Oops, that was the Wired article that suggested that, not Engadget.

To me, the eDGe is the e-reader/netbook of choice for those of us (admittedly small niche market) who are are the tablet PC junkies -- another product that Engadget and other tech sites don't exactly "get" either. I bought the eDGe 100% because of the journal application, stylus annotation and dual screen (so I can do other stuff without sending my main window to the background).

I write my shopping list on a Nokia N810 internet tablet that fits in my purse. I have a tablet PC (and none of them are particularly light!) for heavy-lifting in the handwriting arena (handwriting recognition, colour etc.) and I have a Wacom external graphics tablet for working on the Mac. What I don't have is a design particularly great for just reading (which I do in a chair or at a table anyway) and taking notes. I'm sick of carting around a book, pen, notepad and laptop around for my "casual reading." Now, the eDGe is the only thing I have to take out to the pool or courtyard. This is the first device that actually fixes a problem I had and not just a cool toy that I rationalized a use for.

Just because this device might not appeal to the masses doesn't mean it's not well-suited to those who use it for its intended purposes. It does have its flaws, like every piece of technology. But, it can be frustrating to see it labeled as flawed in general by people who don't have a real use for it.

Last edited by sarah11918; 03-13-2010 at 12:06 PM.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I have the Edge and it's far more capable than the DX (which I also own). Notetaking and PDF markup are the killer apps on the Edge.

You can download directly from many ebookstores and libraries as long as you can download ePub (with or without Adept DRM) or PDF.

The web browsing is good, far better than the Kindle. No Flash and many sites limit you to their mobile version but the Flash issues will hopefully be fixed in a future firmware update.

I've only tried out one Android app, the eReader app, and it was easy to download and install. I wasn't too impressed with the app because it only used a quarter of the LCD screen's real estate but it does work.

The weight does make the Edge problematic for casual reading but as long as you can prop it up it's fine.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Quote:
In other words, the engadget people are fake people? I'm glad that you like your Edge but sites that review the device like engadget/cnet/gizmodo/etc base their reviews on actually using the gadget.
They actually use the gadget, huh? For what, like 20 or 30 minutes -- maybe an hour? On the other hand, mgm1979 and others have been using the gadget daily for hours per day for several weeks now. I would much rather hear their opinions/problems/successes than some dude (generic term) with a definitely discernable pre-conceived opinion.

It's not that those sites use "fake" people. They just don't always use people that are professional or even informed. Their reports often contain errors of fact in addition to personal opinion, which has no place in any review (unless it's clearly stated as such).

As a last note, I don't understand people who concentrate on the negative and insist on comparing apples to oranges. I've decided the eDGe isn't for me for several reasons but this device has a target audience and people who fit that audience seem extremely happy with it.

The detractors who insist on comparing it to every other gadget on the market remind me of someone who would complain that a Freightliner semi truck isn't any good because while it has enough room to haul the whole family around it doesn't perform like their Corvette and it's hard to find a parking spot for it.

Last edited by gastan; 03-13-2010 at 01:43 PM.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
mgm1979
Zealot
mgm1979 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage eDGe
Quote:

LMAO - I'm not sure what kind of point you're trying to make, really...do you REALLY think these "reviewers" are using the device as much, and as in-depth, as REAL consumers? Do you know how many devices they get their hands on every year to review?

Regardless, I'm not saying to completely disregard the tech sights' reviews - I'm saying use them in conjunction with OWNER reviews to base a decision...when OWNER reviews come out, one after another, that seem to completely refute a tech sight review, , common sense should tell you something might not be right with the "professional" review, one way or another.

Alas, if you insist on "drinking the engadget/cnet/gizmodo koolaid" then more power to ya...
mgm1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
Perhaps someone will become disenchanted with the bad press and sell me a slightly used Entourage Edge at a low price???
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:57 PM   #11
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Engadget and Gizmodo rarely get more than 20% of anything they post to be accurate. And quite often, that's by accident. Oh, did I mention they hate ereaders?
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #12
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Sometimes engadget,gdgt,gizmodo are off the mark, but this review seemed resonable in it's conclusions. It looks like it does both things pretty well, but isn't the best. You sacrifice a little speed/gloss for portability. For studying/note taking I could carry this OR carry my laptop + my kindle.

Re: the touch screen. They need to get better touch screen technologies that work with e-reader technologies. At the moment it always seems these e-readers implement a technology which sacrifices screen clarity and/or the touch screen is not very responsive. Why can Apple make an incredibly responsive touch screen but other companies have issues? Capacitive touch won't work on these screens or is it too expensive?
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:18 PM   #13
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Why can Apple make an incredibly responsive touch screen but other companies have issues?
To see what real users opinions are see:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77115
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:50 PM   #14
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by devseev View Post
1. Device size/weight - obviously this is heavier/bigger than a Kindle DX, but since it has twice the screen real estate and much more functionality than any other ereader out there I think it's a bit of an unfair comparison. Clearly this is not meant for handholding it for extended period of time.
An eReader that's not meant for hand holding for extended period of time? You don't see the flaw in that?

In general, though, I agree that a review should cover the good parts of a device, what makes it unique and desirable. It's like all those iPad reviews that point out all the ways the iPad isn't a netbook. Well duh, it's not a netbook.

I'm interested in what "screen interactions" you are speaking of. That might change my first reaction of "why wouldn't I just get two devices".

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #15
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
An eReader that's not meant for hand holding for extended period of time? You don't see the flaw in that?
Not when it's intended to replace a textbook*, which also is not meant for being hand held for an extended period of time.

*substitute any of: text book; book and highlighter; book, pen, notepad; book, pen, notepad, mobile internet device

This device is meant to be written on - in both in the same way you'd write in/on the thing you're reading and as a separate notepad. It's also meant to give depth to the text through integrated search (dictionary, web) and image enhancement through the LCD screen. Additionally, you can have email, twitter, IM clients running in the background, and a notification isn't in your face while you're reading because it comes up on a separate screen.

Many reviewers neglect to qualify the weight statement by stating what the machine does replace. It may be *heavy* to hold this thing for extended periods of time, but it's *impossible* to hold your book (textbook), pile of documents, reference material, notepad, pen, iphone/laptop (whatever you'd check email/twitter/IM/web on) all at the same time for extended periods of time.

If this machine isn't going to replace all those things for a someone at once (as it does for me), then this machine probably isn't for him/her. So, yes, some reviews can safely be ignored because they clearly don't understand the benefits of the machine.

I'm not saying they don't have real, justified criticisms, but if they make no mention of what the device is for and how it's actually supposed to be used, then they haven't properly reviewed the device, IMO. I've read two reviews in the last couple of days that haven't even mentioned annotation/journal capabilities, for example, which is one of the essential differentiating factors.

The wild discrepancies between the mostly lukewarm/negative "tech reviews" and the mostly positive owner reviews show that you have to need/want this kind of device in order to appreciate it. And I think we're all perfectly happy to admit that.

But negative reviews mean we might have to speak up a little more to make sure that people realize that if you do fall into that category of needing/wanting it, it's a great device. Not just because we need to validate our own purchasing decisions, but because this is a product we NEED, and if ignorant (in the truest sense of the word) reviewers have the largest voice in determining whether this product/company succeeds or fails, then we honestly risk losing it.

I don't care whether there's "an eDGe in every home" or not. I care that this company has incentive to continue to develop and improve upon this first-gen product. This is the first tech product I've seen in a long time that actually fills needs I already had, instead of just being cool. I'll be damned if I'm going to let the Engadget/Gizmodo crowd take it away from me.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote