Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 12:13 AM   #226
EEyesSore
EEyesSore began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I successfully used mintstick to both format and burn the image in Linux. comes with Mint18 already in the meny, as two applications.
dd = method did not work for me.

as there were 10 fields in the sqlite file to unlock, see the other thread on that.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...88#post3772588

oh, and this also all fixed up my no connection via USB problem. without that and a disconnect the reader was not updating the book I had manyally put into it (after creating a Book folder in the right place).

I will use Clonezilla boot cd to do a complete 'disk' backup of this sdcard.
'

Last edited by EEyesSore; 11-11-2018 at 12:15 AM. Reason: adding
Old 12-17-2018, 05:17 AM   #227
ExpatVietnam
Enthusiast
ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.

Location: Bangladesh. (I didn't think about the permanence of my username.) Sigh.
Device: Kobo Glo, Fire10
NOS KoboGlo White Screen

I presume I have the same problem described so many times above.

The story: I lost my beloved Glo and bought a New Old Stock one on Friday (readily available in Viet Nam). Charged it, connected to laptop, it was recognized and KoboDesktop took a full 18 minutes to download what I take to be a firmware update. Ejected it when done, screen read "updating." 12 hours later it still looked the same. I kept it on a charger as it was warm as if the processor was hard at work. [Spoke to KOBO and they say if my desktop app wanted to update it, then it is a real KOBO.]

From there it flipped to a white screen, green light went out and it has never recovered. Turning it on gets me green light, blue light, green light and a flash on the screen -- screen remains white. Reset with paperclip and the same thing happens. Never get to the 'press 3 times when you see rectangles' stage.

Computer no longer 'sees' it. No amount of 'search for new hardware/connection' produces any result. Working from a PC.

Any suggestions, or straight to pulling the 2gb card and formatting it myself?

Thanks.
Advert
Old 12-17-2018, 06:12 AM   #228
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
You can try a factory reset:
  1. Charge for at least an hour.
  2. Force a power off by holding the power switch in the off position for 20 seconds.
  3. Hold the light button down and turn it on.
  4. Release the light button when the screen changes.

Hopefully that will get it going again.

If it doesn't, you can open it and restore an image to the internal SD card. I have sent you a PM with the link in case you need to do this.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:06 AM   #229
ExpatVietnam
Enthusiast
ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.

Location: Bangladesh. (I didn't think about the permanence of my username.) Sigh.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You can try a factory reset:
  1. Charge for at least an hour.
  2. Force a power off by holding the power switch in the off position for 20 seconds.
  3. Hold the light button down and turn it on.
  4. Release the light button when the screen changes.

Hopefully that will get it going again.

If it doesn't, you can open it and restore an image to the internal SD card. I have sent you a PM with the link in case you need to do this.

THANKS! I thought there was a light-switch solution but couldn't find it. Reset fine (first time I've ever seen the light go red), and currently trying to update itself. If it hangs up again I'll use the file you provided (and thanks for that, too). It's been a week of all sorts of bad news so genuine thanks for this bright moment!
Old 12-17-2018, 07:24 AM   #230
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatVietnam View Post
THANKS! I thought there was a light-switch solution but couldn't find it. Reset fine (first time I've ever seen the light go red), and currently trying to update itself. If it hangs up again I'll use the file you provided (and thanks for that, too). It's been a week of all sorts of bad news so genuine thanks for this bright moment!
Glad the factory reset did something. If you need to use the image, you might want to consider replacing the SD card. A failing card can cause symptoms like you described. You can use a larger card and expand the book partition to use the extra space.
Advert
Old 12-17-2018, 10:04 PM   #231
ExpatVietnam
Enthusiast

Thanks, davidfor. Hung up again and then I (wisely?) stopped it trying to update the software AND move my books at the same time. I think the combination of the two was just too much data -- had this happen on the old one when I put in a 32gb card and tried to move massive amounts at once.

It is now operational and synced fine w/books. Which has made both me and the seller happy (as he has a shelf full of them and was worried they were obsolete).

Next time I'm in Sydney I owe you a [beverage of your choice].
Old 12-18-2018, 05:27 PM   #232
thandayme
thandayme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hi Davidfor, I've foolishly misplaced the original image for my Kobo Glo after trying out Android on it a year ago. Would you be able to PM a link to the original image for me to apply back on, if you're still able to do so? Thanks for rescuing so many of us!
Old 12-18-2018, 05:47 PM   #233
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:28 AM   #234
superbowo
superbowo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo
Hello David, it is me again i think you have the kobo glo image too? can you send it to me?
regards
Old 12-22-2018, 07:01 AM   #235
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent with the correct link.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:01 PM   #236
NielsPuts90
NielsPuts90 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hello David,

My Kobo has been bricked as well. Could I also receive your IMG file?
Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Niels
Old 01-02-2019, 04:56 PM   #237
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:34 AM   #238
Achimogata
Achimogata began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Pocketbook Touch Lux 3
Hi,
I wish ereryone an happy new year.

I have just changed my Glo HD broken screen and it is Ok.
Once again thanx à lot David.

Last edited by Achimogata; 01-25-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:30 PM   #239
Swimming
Swimming began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO GLO
My KOBO Glo was also bricked after firmware update a couple days ago.
After charging for a long time, any manual factory reset method was not working.
The LED turned to RED and then off by using light-switch solution.
Can I have IMG file for last trying? ( Now I am considering to buy Clara HD)
Old 01-23-2019, 02:08 AM   #240
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Closed Thread