Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-26-2012, 02:08 AM   #1
jbarntt
jbarntt began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1150
Nook Simple Touch without wi-fi

Just got my new Simple Touch, and every time I start it up, it wants a wi-fi connection. I can't do anything with the device. I don't have a wi-fi network, my house is fully ethernet wired. I used the latest and greatest Calibre to try to upload a PD epub book, didn't do it. Upload attempt was via USB, and didn't work. No failure msg, just doesn't work

All I get is the brain dead, please connect. I can't connect via wi-fi, because I have no wi-fi, and have no need of it.

Any help would be much appreciated.
jbarntt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:45 AM   #2
Mujokan
Connoisseur
Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Unfortunately, Barnes and Noble require that you link the thing to your B&N account. They are pretty clear about this before you buy (hopefully). They are probably selling it at cost, so they insist you hook up to their sales system.

If you go register it somewhere then after that you will not need wi-fi. (But if you choose to add a credit card, don't do that over an unsecured network.)
Mujokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2012, 04:51 AM   #3
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Like Mujokan says you need to register it over wiFi before you can use it at all. That is a one-time-only though. So take you Nook to McDonlads or wherever there is free WiFi, register it (you don't have to put in any credit card details). Then you can turn off WiFi for the rest of the Nook's life!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
I don´t want to be mean, but get a wifi router. This same thing happened to me a couple of years ago, and since I bought the router life around the house changed dramatically. Besides, you won´t be able to buy any books from B&N if you don´t connect to wifi. They don´t give you the chance to download to your computer.
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by susaz View Post
I don´t want to be mean, but get a wifi router. This same thing happened to me a couple of years ago, and since I bought the router life around the house changed dramatically. Besides, you won´t be able to buy any books from B&N if you don´t connect to wifi. They don´t give you the chance to download to your computer.
You can download B&N ebooks to your PC.
You an either use Nook for PC or download the books from your libary on the B&N website.

You should always make a backup of your books. There is no guarantee that your books will always be available for downloading.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
simple touch