Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-23-2007, 02:00 PM   #151
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Discworld novels that are available on Sony's Connect store are...

Eric
Thud
The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents
The Wee Free Men
Small Gods
Witches Abroad
Lords and Ladies
Soul Music
Feet of Clay
Interesting Times
Men at Arms
Maskerade
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:30 PM   #152
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Nice to know, but since I don't have a Reader, not much help to me personally.

The lack of "official" eBook formats isn't bothering me any. I make sure to buy a licensed form of what I read, and that's all I'm saying.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:54 PM   #153
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Nice to know, but since I don't have a Reader, not much help to me personally.

The lack of "official" eBook formats isn't bothering me any. I make sure to buy a licensed form of what I read, and that's all I'm saying.
Do you have either the ebooks or the paperbacks?
Old 08-23-2007, 08:14 PM   #154
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you have either the ebooks or the paperbacks?
It varies depending on the title. I'm a frequent customer of used book stores.

In one case, my obligation to own a legal copy of a work was satisfied by the author (not Pratchett, a different author) as a gift in return for a tshirt.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:54 PM   #155
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Just finished Jumper 2 - Reflex, by Steven J. Gould. Highly recommended, a surprisingly strong sequel to the first book. If you like spy books you'll probably like this one, even though technically the main characters are not in espionage... exactly. Good characterizations. Very good "classic science fiction" in the sense that the plot revolves around a scientific principle that is a reasonable extrapolation from known science, but with a lot of nice understanding of human nature, as well, and plenty of what Heinlein used to call "cops and robbers" to keep it interesting (and some "boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy finds girl" as well, but with some nice original twists).

I'm halfway through re-reading The Player of Games by Iain Banks. This is one of my favorite books, for a variety of reasons. I particularly like the way Banks explores the cultural (pun unavoidable) entanglements of games. There is also some clever psychology to the story. If you've never tried Banks, but are a fan of Orson Scott Card, I highly recommend this book. Unfortunately, I can't finish it at the moment because FBReader has mysteriously stopped working on my iLiad and I hate the default HTML reader the iLiad ships with. And my paper copy (my second purchased copy, after I loaned the first out and didn't get it back) is packed in one of the 12+ boxes of books in the basement.

(Ok, I suppose I could finish reading it on my Mac, but the whole point of having the iLiad is that it's a much nicer reading experience than the laptop -- quieter, doesn't cook my legs, no glare, etc.)
Old 09-07-2007, 08:29 AM   #156
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Finished HP1 in a record timer, 6 days!
Started HP2
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:22 AM   #157
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Once I got my CF card problem resolved, I finished The Player of Games. Then I read Pratchett's Witches Abroad and tonight I finished Lords and Ladies. Good stuff. I liked both of these nearly as much as A Hatful of Sky, so I think I'll read Maskerade next. Though I might step back to Small Gods, as the description on Wikipedia looks interesting.

I seem to like the stories with the witches a lot more than the others, though. My apologies to those who are huge Pratchett fans and love everything he writes, but the wizards are just too buffoonish for me (except for the Librarian, perhaps).
Old 09-16-2007, 12:22 PM   #158
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Just finished Maskerade-- I'm going to buy a copy of this for my mother for Christmas, as she's a huge opera and musical theatre fan. I think I'll also give her Wyrd Sisters and Lords and Ladies. (I haven't decided yet if I should also give her Witches Abroad, which I really liked.)
Old 09-16-2007, 12:44 PM   #159
Mick Francis
Mick Francis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I finished Diary of a U-boat Commander last night in a few hours. Its a fast paced story with all that elements that would make it a great film - romantic angle included.

This is the first eBook that I've read with that cascading arrangement. I have to say there is something to it. It did seem to keep me focused and help with maintaining my reading speed and enjoyment.

I got it at XX eBooks - it is NON-DRM!
Mick Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:53 PM   #160
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

That site is allowing illegal ebooks to be sold. I cannot say all of them are illegal, but I know some sure are and it's obvious. I know this for a fact. And because of that, I have removed the URL for the site. Sorry.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:44 PM   #161
Mick Francis

Wolf wrote "That site is allowing illegal ebooks to be sold. I cannot say all of them are illegal..."

So its guilt by association?
That particular host does have a policy of honoring copyright law.
Why not bring the particular violations that you know of to the hosts attention?
Wouldn't that be a more constructive line of action instead of throwing the baby out with the bath water as you have done by your attempt at censorship?
Old 09-17-2007, 09:07 PM   #162
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Francis View Post
Wolf wrote "That site is allowing illegal ebooks to be sold. I cannot say all of them are illegal..."

So its guilt by association?
That particular host does have a policy of honoring copyright law.
Why not bring the particular violations that you know of to the hosts attention?
Wouldn't that be a more constructive line of action instead of throwing the baby out with the bath water as you have done by your attempt at censorship?
Will they have someone monitoring the ebooks for sale?

I was looking at the Star Trek ebooks and I know some of the listings are bogus. And has the law allowed for ebooks to be sold? And according to the DMCA, it may only be legal to break the DRM on MS Reader format ebooks. This site just lets people put up whatever they want without checking. Is there someplace on their sites that cites that it's legal to resell ebooks?
Old 09-18-2007, 03:11 PM   #163
Mick Francis

Each person registering with the hosting service agrees to the host's Terms of Service to NOT
"publish, post, distribute, disseminate, advertise or link to any: (i) content, site, topic, name, material or information which is defamatory, libelous, slanderous, or infringing; (ii) software, content or other material protected by intellectual property laws, copyright licenses, rights of privacy or publicity, or other proprietary rights, unless You own, or control such rights or have received all necessary consents for Your publication, distribution, or linking of such software and other materials;"

They must have hundreds of submissions daily. What program can check the legalities?
If you can write one, my bet is there are a lot of venture capitalists that would like to talk to you.

Like eBay and others they may deny service regarding offenders when notified.

Looks like you are doing a good job of monitoring - why not let them know of the culprits. You can give particulars at https://www.payloadz.com/contact.asp
Old 09-18-2007, 10:17 PM   #164
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Just picked up The Age of Turbulence: Adventures in a New World by Alan Greenspan.

Mmm.... Federal Reserve action....
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:48 AM   #165
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Mmm. What have I read?
Past two weeks, The Helmsman series from book 1 to 5, Betrayal, The Eneuch heir, The Crimson Sword and book one of Kingmaker, Kingbreaker.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote