Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-26-2017, 01:20 PM   #1
Nitnesh
Nitnesh began at the beginning.

Device: kindle/mobile phones
How to correctly display characters in ePub for non-standard languages?

Hi all,

I have a PDF as the source file for an ePub in a Ghanaian language and the text that I extract for the ePub does not display the characters/glyphs correctly (see attached screenshots).

Embedding the fonts will only help to display the characters in the ePub once I actually have the text, but how can I fix the source text in the xhtml?

Also in terms of which fonts to embed (if any?), Times seems to work in other ePubs that I have checked for this language, but I would appreciate any advice that you have with regards to fonts. Google Noto is supposed to work for Ghanaian languages as well, but do any of you have any (similar) experience with font problems and how did you fix them?

Thank you in advance!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	how it looks.png
Views:	254
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	157016   Click image for larger version

Name:	how it should look.png
Views:	254
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	157017  
Nitnesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:37 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Since the text files in an ePUB must be UTF-8, the Ghanaia glyphs are probably in there. Just use the correct characters and embed a font that includes these glyphs. You could try Charis Sil, it is rather complete as far as I know.
It should not be a problem at all.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:55 AM   #3
Nitnesh
Nitnesh began at the beginning.

Device: kindle/mobile phones
Hi Toxaris,

Thank you for your reply.

You are suggesting to key in the characters in the xhtml, right? This is what I have been doing so far, but it is a very long and strenuous manual job for long books, and prone to errors, as I do not speak the language myself.

Also, as I assume that this happens with other languages as well, I was hoping that there would be a way to extract the right characters to begin with and input them into the xhtml.

Thanks!
Nitnesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:13 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Well, you might try OCR, but that will be difficult at well. In most cases it is not an issue, as the keyboard layout in those countries will take care of the correct glyphs.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character display, epub, glyphs, source text, xhtml