Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-02-2011, 04:00 AM   #1
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Can you really switch back and forth between Mobi and ePub?

I sold my old Bookeen Gen 3 to a friend who loves it. It deserves to be loved and I couldn't do it.

I've been trying to convince her to let me install (she's a self-confessed technical illiterate) the firmware to upgrade it to read ePub formatted books.

She's terrified she won't like it and will be stuck with it.

I seem to remember when it came out, it was posted here that you could switch back and forth freely between the 1.6 Mobi firmware and the 2.1 ePub firmware.

Is that true? Has anyone done it? If so, is there anything special to doing the switch, beside running the firmware upgrade file?

Thanks for your help!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:57 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Be brave! Just do it! It is possible to switch between the mobi and epub firmware without problems and you don't need anything more than the two firmware files.

(To comfort your friend a little bit: ask her if she would upgrade her Gen3 weekly or monthly if Bookeen would offer a new mobi firmware every week or month. I think she would, and the procedure is technically the same if you upgrade mobi on mobi or epub on mobi and back. And because I'm curious I switched from mobi to epub and then back to mobi again and didn't experience any problems.)
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I've gone back and forth between epub and mobi a couple of times on my Gen3 and Opus, it works fine.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #4
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to both of you. And to Bill's question about what she would say if I asked her if she'd be willing to update her firmware weekly if Bookeen would do it....? Her answer would be "what's firmware?"

If it were my reader, I'd do it without hesitation. But she lives in another state. She's currently working as a consultant in the my office on a four-day week basis, so I'm thinking if I can get my hands on it on a Monday and if there's trouble, I can get it functioning by Thursday. But I want to avoid reformatting it and handing it back to her without a little "beta testing"...I want to be able to answer simple questions if she has any.

So FlorenceArt, can you tell me - is the main interface the same? With the exception of the ebook format, will the steps she takes to find and read a book be the same? That'll make it easier for her to accept.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:55 AM   #5
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
So FlorenceArt, can you tell me - is the main interface the same? With the exception of the ebook format, will the steps she takes to find and read a book be the same? That'll make it easier for her to accept.
Yes, the interface is exactly the same. You keep your directory structure except that a folder is created for Adobe, I forget what it's called but that's where the Adobe app will put books if you use it to transfer ePubs. Another thing that you probably already told her, but she must be aware that she needs to convert her old books, and will lose her bookmarks in the process. Other than that, I can't think of any difference. Except for the bad formatting of commercial ePubs, which is the reason I keep coming back to mobi (that and the Chambers dictionary that I bought long ago and that would become useless with ePub).
Old 09-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
FizzyWater

Ah, so I'd need to find her another dictionary, if she agrees to switch. I didn't think of that. I don't know how much (or even if) she uses the dictionary lookup. I know I don't use it a lot on the Sony, but I like having the option. I'll have to see if I can find her a freebie or low-cost one to start with...

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2011, 02:17 AM   #7
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Unfortunately there is still no dictionary format in ePub, and the Cybook has no other dictionary, built-in or other. So she'll have to do without for the moment.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:58 AM   #8
FizzyWater

What format is my Sony using for a dictionary then? I use dictionary lookup on it, and it reads ePub...
Old 09-05-2011, 06:18 AM   #9
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Within the mobipocket file specification there is a special definition of dictionaries so that you can use a mobipocket dictionary on every device with a mobipocket reader software (so your friend could use her Gen3 mobipocket dictionary on a Kindle or on a PC, too).

Epub doesn't have such a definition so every vendor has to implement his own dictionary management into his firmware for himself. So, if you would be able to extract your Sony Reader dictionary you would not be able to use it on your Nook, too, or give it your friend for her Gen3, although they all read epub files.
And until now Bookeen hasn't provided any dictionary support for their epub firmware.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

One thing is that she may not have dictionary look-up on the Gen3 as it is, unless you delivered it with a dictionary you installed yourself. So she may not miss it all that much. It's the kind of functionality that you live very well without, until you start using it...
Old 09-28-2011, 01:13 AM   #11
Sharone
Enthusiast
Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle (3) Keyboard
No problems with switching to epub, then back to mobi.
Something to note: I switched to epub after becoming a member of FLP, but the firmware didn't like most of the books that I first tried to borrow and simply refused to read them. Potentially something to do with not-so-perfectly-packaged-epubs.

I think that was 2.1
I went back because in the end, I could not read any of the borrowed epubs. And , I preferred the mobi look.

Last edited by Sharone; 09-28-2011 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Oops, did not realise the thread was almost a month old
Sharone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:28 AM   #12
fani
fani began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I switched to ePub and was very exited that I was able to buy ePub books for my Cybook. But then I was having problems with a lot of books, probably due to low RAM of the first editions of Gen3, so I switched back to Mobi. It is easy to switch back and forth and does not create any problems. If this is a first or second edition of Cybook Gen3, maybe she should stick to Mobi and use Calibre to convert new ePub books that she buys to Mobi.
fani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:11 AM   #13
FizzyWater

Hmmm, I think it was one of the early ones....

To be honest, the reason I brought it up is because she's not comfortable with much on the computer, and doesn't find it much fun.

So it turns out I get stuck converting all her books for her. I was hoping if I could get her switched to ePub, I could get out of it.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:44 AM   #14
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Hmmm, I think it was one of the early ones....

To be honest, the reason I brought it up is because she's not comfortable with much on the computer, and doesn't find it much fun.

So it turns out I get stuck converting all her books for her. I was hoping if I could get her switched to ePub, I could get out of it.
Ah yes, that is a good reason

Maybe she should just buy a Kindle, if she hates fiddling with the computer to be able to read books. That's what I would recommend to my mother, except the Kindle is not really practical for French readers yet.