Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
carbonize
Connoisseur
carbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony PRS-600
Cloud Storage

Sorry if this has been asked before but couldn't find anything.

Given he recent plethora of music cloud storage services appearing even from the big players like Google and Amazon I am wondering why nobody has a free cloud storage service for ebooks. It would be great to be able to store them online and sync them easily across your internet enabled devices. If nothing else the storage space required would be minuscule compared to the space required for the music storage.
carbonize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I use both DropBox and SugarSync to store off-site backups of my books. It works quite well for me to use the DropBox Android app or the Kindle's browser to download a book and start reading it ASAP.

As far as a service that let you sync to last page read and stuff like that, it'd be interesting although tough to do across all platforms I would think.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Technically, Amazon does do this for books purchased from them. You can access them from any device that has the Kindle app on it, from wherever you are (assuming internet access).
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:17 AM   #4
carbonize
Connoisseur
carbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beauty

Yes but the key part of that is it only works for books you have purchased from them.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:29 AM   #5
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
not really sync, but you can create a catalog (organising your books by as many tags as you like) with Calibre, hosting both the catalogue and your library in the cloud (Dropbox in my case) - then you can search/browse your catalogue online and download to your device the books you want.
There are also sync apps for Calibre that allow sync with your device - but this is via cable and/or bluetooth.

I agree it would be nice to be able to sync all your devices in one go!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:05 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why would anyone offer a free service? What would be in it for them?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
Fallingwater
Enthusiast
Fallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura about

Device: Bookeen Cybook Opus
I put files I need to reach online on my site in a private folder, but you do need to have a webspace to do that.

I'm waiting for someone to come up with a service like Grooveshark, but for books...
Fallingwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #8
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why would anyone offer a free service? What would be in it for them?
Advertising revenue, contact details and a profile of what they are interested in to go with it, easy marketing of an upgraded pay-for service, build product awareness ...
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
garrybuck
Connoisseur
garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kindle
>Why would anyone offer a free service? What would be in it for them?<

They hope you'll find it so useful that you use up all the free space they give you, requiring you to opt for their pay-for service. I store all my ebooks on DropBox, they give me 2 gig free. I'm half way to using it all up.
garrybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Another nod for Dropbox. Despite some recent bad press, I like it alot - it works great, pretty seamless, its free and they offer easy incentives to jack up the storage to beyond 2GB.

No shortage of free online file storage clouds...
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #11
carbonize
Connoisseur

I'm actually hoping that either Amazon will start to offer this with Kindle since they now offer free cloud storage of music or maybe Google will open up Google Books to allow you to store your own books like they are also doing with Google Music.

Dropbox is a great service and I have used them for years. Would be perfect is the ability to save straight from Calibre to Dropbox and then for Aldiko etc to be able to connect to your Dropbox to download them. Would just require agreeing a directory structure.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #12
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I'm not sure I understand why you can't do that? My Calibre library is inside my Dropbox folder so anything added to Calibre goes out to Dropbox. I've managed to accumulate a healthy chunk of Dropbox referral space so I have more than enough room to store my books there.

Any device I have (nook color, Kindle, the iPads) etc can connect to Dropbox and download an eBook and then open it with the application I choose. I don't use Aldiko but I don't see anything about it that would prevent the process from working.

I know there are folders out there on the Amazon Cloud drive for pictures and documents besides music but I've never played with trying to download to a device from them. Maybe it is possible? I agree that it'd be great if you could put personal documents (non-Amazon books) into the Manage your Kindle section.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #13
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ This.

I actually started to post something very similar re: Dropbox and my calibre install directory, but stopped as I am unfamiliar with the Aldiko device.

Thanks!
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #14
witeowl
Hopeless Geek
witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color (manual nooter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonize View Post
Dropbox is a great service and I have used them for years. Would be perfect is the ability to save straight from Calibre to Dropbox and then for Aldiko etc to be able to connect to your Dropbox to download them. Would just require agreeing a directory structure.
That sounds like exactly what I do with the help of Calibre2OPDS.

The only problem is that my books have to be stored in a nondescript folder within the public folder. I'm a tad nervous about being discovered and accused of "distributing" my ebooks, but I should be safe so long as I never share a link online (where google's bots will find it and explore its directory).
witeowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #15
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
^ This.

I actually started to post something very similar re: Dropbox and my calibre install directory, but stopped as I am unfamiliar with the Aldiko device.

Thanks!
Aldiko is an Android App.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote