Notices

Old 01-13-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
oecherprinte
Zealot
oecherprinte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 3G, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Kindle screen broken?

Hi there,

I left my kindle on my office desk in the unlighted amazon cover. This morning I tried to turn it on and now there are
strange stripes all over the screen that do not disappear even after doing a complete reboot. Pictures are attached.

Is the screen broken? The kindle was just sitting on my desk.

Thanks for your help,

Jens
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Foto 5.JPG
Views:	5177
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	64673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Foto 1.JPG
Views:	3164
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	64674  
oecherprinte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Hi Jens

Yes I'm afraid the screen unfortunately looks broken to me in which case there is nothing you can personally do I would suggest contacting Amazon about it.

Nothing fell on top of the Kindle did it?
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:48 AM   #3
oecherprinte
Zealot

Well I left it on my office desk with a magazine on top of it to hide it. Maybe the cleaning staff did something to it, but there is no way of finding out.

Sh**! Does anybody know how much that will cost? I am more or less addicted to this device now ...
Old 01-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, I'm afraid that's a classic picture of a broken screen substrate. The crack in the substrate is the diagonal line towards the bottom of the picture. Unfortunately this is not covered by the warranty.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by oecherprinte View Post
Well I left it on my office desk with a magazine on top of it to hide it. Maybe the cleaning staff did something to it, but there is no way of finding out.

Sh**! Does anybody know how much that will cost? I am more or less addicted to this device now ...
Oh dear. Perhaps the cleaners just whacked their polish or equipment on top thinking it was just a pile of mags. Because it normally requires some kind of force or drop to break a screen.

I would still just contact Amazon and explain that it is broken and see what they say. Hopefully you will get hold of someone very helpful and nice.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
oecherprinte
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
I would still just contact Amazon and explain that it is broken and see what they say. Hopefully you will get hold of someone very helpful and nice.
Well my amazon ebook bill surely shows that I am a profitable customer! I contacted our building service. Who knows maybe they have an insurance that covers such cases. But then it's hard to prove that they broke it.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Call Amazon Kindle Customer Service and explained what happened. There have been several reported cases of them replacing a Kindle for no cost for a broken screen when they are still under warranty. See what they say.

PS, make sure you get Kindle Support specifically and not just the regular Customer Support line. They seem to be easier to work with.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
oecherprinte
Zealot

Just called Amazon and they are sending me a replacement FOR FREE without even looking at the broken device.

That's what I call customer service! I will keep you updated on how it proceeds.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Just called Amazon and they are sending me a replacement FOR FREE without even looking at the broken device.

That's what I call customer service! I will keep you updated on how it proceeds.
yAy! may I suggest that your kindle commute with you in the future?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:10 AM   #10
oecherprinte
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
yAy! may I suggest that your kindle commute with you in the future?
This is the first time that I left my precious behind.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
This is the first time that I left my precious behind.
I bet that won't happen again!
Old 01-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #12
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Odd that it got broken whilst in a case though. The eInk screen is generally broken because something pushed on the screen, something hit the screen or the entire device was twisted. The cleaners might have dropped it when moving stuff around on your desk to clean I guess?

eInk screens have a plastic top layer but there are very thin glass layers inside. This means you can end up cracking or damaging an internal layer but still have a completely intact top layer. The diagonal lines are usually an indication that the glass inside has cracked and where they join up is generally where the impact or pressure was.

Great that Kindle CS are replacing your Kindle though!
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #13
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I had a kindle 2 that showed similar symptoms. I did not recall dropping it or anything. I called CS, described what it looked like, having no idea what it was or whether it was covered by warranty Amazon replaced it and paid shipping both ways.

Sometimes ignorance is the best policy
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #14
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Odd that it got broken whilst in a case though. The eInk screen is generally broken because something pushed on the screen, something hit the screen or the entire device was twisted. The cleaners might have dropped it when moving stuff around on your desk to clean I guess?

eInk screens have a plastic top layer but there are very thin glass layers inside. This means you can end up cracking or damaging an internal layer but still have a completely intact top layer. The diagonal lines are usually an indication that the glass inside has cracked and where they join up is generally where the impact or pressure was.

Great that Kindle CS are replacing your Kindle though!
I'm willing to bet there was a curious janitor last night
Old 01-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #15
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I'm willing to bet there was a curious janitor last night
I'm betting the same. I know there's at least one person over on the Amazon board who broke their screen because they thought it was a touchscreen and kept pushing on it trying to get it to work, so I can honestly imagine someone doing that if they don't know what the Kindle is, considering how pervasive touchscreen technology is these days. The Kindle screen isn't designed to withstand jabbing.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote