Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-03-2017, 08:24 AM   #676
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidWeb View Post
@jhowell - During your adventures inside maws of KFXGenApp did you find any references to "Preview Double Page Spread" feature?

It is undocumented and despite my diligent search I can't find what code triggers it.
I have never heard of or seen anything like that. Where did you come across it?
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:40 AM   #677
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
This is one of new KFX manga features. There is option to enable it in book settings directly on Kindle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEoNXG80iSY&t=0m25s
That box on bottom on double spread pages.

EDIT:
OK. I got it.. partially. As expected this feature is controlled by page-spread-* properties in OPF spine and require unlocked orientation-lock. But that is not enough. It is somewhat connected with size of both images. If they pass some magical limit preview kick in.

I don't know that limit yet.
Additionally books created by Kindle Comic Creator don't trigger it too.

Publishers of this type of content must have access to some additional specifications as
Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines just don't describe it at all.

Last edited by AcidWeb; 11-03-2017 at 12:13 PM.
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:39 AM   #678
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This is one of new KFX manga features. There is option to enable it in book settings directly on Kindle.
Well call me clueless! I don't use my kindle for reading manga so I never noticed that the Aa menu is completely different for those.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:04 PM   #679
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got it.

Besides things I pointed out in my post above image dimensions (file itself) need to have the same ratio as value set in original-resolution meta field and image can't have any margins.

Next crumb of knowledge torn from the throat of KFX.

Last edited by AcidWeb; 11-03-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:14 AM   #680
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

Generally after the last few days of study I have to say that I consider KFX very inflexible. KF8 had way way more wiggle room and some rules could be bend.

With KFX is it more like: Do it our way or not at all.

Last edited by AcidWeb; 11-05-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:18 AM   #681
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

I forgot to ask previously, do you know what the "Animation" option is for in the Aa menu when reading manga?

It has always been grayed out in the ones I have tried.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:50 AM   #682
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

I never seen it enabled. And it is not KFX feature. KF8 reader have it too.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #683
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I never seen it enabled. And it is not KFX feature. KF8 reader have it too.
I'm not sure that KF8 has it or not. When reading KF8 on 5.8.11 or later, the Aa menu shows the option to left justify and with KF8 it doesn't work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:22 PM   #684
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

It is displayed only if comic flag is set in in e-book metadata.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:24 PM   #685
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

MathML support

Kindle Previewer version 3.17 has been released. The main change was adding support for MathML in KFX format.

The Previewer uses MathJax to convert MathML to SVG for display purposes. It also includes the original MathML markup as a hidden annotation for use by screen readers.

I have attached a sample EPUB containing a MathML equation. When opened using KPR 3.17 the equation is rendered correctly.

Only the Enhanced Typesetting (KFX format) renders MathML correctly. The MOBI file produced shows the equation garbled because kindlegen ignores the MathML markup.

I would not be surprised to see the Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines updated to allow MathML sometime soon.
Attached Files
File Type: epub mathml-test.epub (2.2 KB, 249 views)
Old 11-30-2017, 07:24 PM   #686
jcsalomon
Zealot
jcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheese

Device: Bookari (née Mantano Reader) on Android; Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The Previewer uses MathJax to convert MathML to SVG for display purposes. It also includes the original MathML markup as a hidden annotation for use by screen readers.
[…]
Only the Enhanced Typesetting (KFX format) renders MathML correctly. The MOBI file produced shows the equation garbled because kindlegen ignores the MathML markup.
Interesting combination, seeing as right now SVG content prevents Enhanced Typesetting.
jcsalomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:55 AM   #687
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsalomon View Post
Interesting combination, seeing as right now SVG content prevents Enhanced Typesetting.
KFX supports a binary encoded subset of SVG that Amazon calls KVG. The KFX generator in KPR 3.17 converts the SVG produced by MathJax into KVG.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:46 AM   #688
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Kindle Previewer version 3.17 has been released. The main change was adding support for MathML in KFX format. [...]
According to the Kindle Publishing Guidelines, only amzn-mobi and amzn-kf8 can be used in media queries.
Did you stumble upon a new media query for KFX-only features, e.g. amzn-kfx?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:45 AM   #689
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Did you stumble upon a new media query for KFX-only features, e.g. amzn-kfx?
I haven't seen any sign of a media query that targets KFX and I don't expect it to be added. Amazon does not mention the KFX format in the Publishing Guidelines at all.

It seems more likely to me that books containing MathML will be restricted to devices that support Enhanced Typesetting. (Indic language books already have this restriction.)

Last edited by jhowell; 12-01-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:02 PM   #690
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Amazon has released version 8.1 of the Kindle for Android app and one of the new features is "free Kindle dictionaries for five new languages – Hindi, Tamil, Marathi, Gujarati, and Malayalam."

Although I don't read the language, I tried doing a dictionary lookup in Hindi for testing. When I checked the app storage I saw that the Hindi dictionary was downloaded in a new variant of KFX format. It is a SQLite database containing content encrypted by KFX DRM.

I wonder if this new Kindle dictionary format will be used for other languages going forward.