Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-02-2018, 01:25 PM   #1
ripkindlepw
ripkindlepw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1st gen
Kindle Paperwhite (1st gen) (JB) with unresponsive screen!

please see update in the next post.

My device is a first generation KPW, firmware 5.3.9. Jailbroken, with
  • KUAL
  • fonts hack
  • collections manager
  • screensaver hack
  • ALT_FONTS workaround
  • USBnetworking / ssh/telnet through usb
  • KOreader (I'm not completely sure about the name, but it was an external reader)
  • backlight=0 (aka completely turn off backlight) "hack"

My kindle has had no problems EVER in the five years I've owned it. It stalled at the reboot screen one time two years ago when I copied a ~700Mb .mobi comic to it, but it got through that in three days and started working again. My kindle has no physical defects whatsoever, except a scratched back (I regret not buying a cover). I can count the number of times it has been dropped on my hands.

The last time I reset my kindle was more than a year ago. The last time I connected it to the internet was for a minute or so maybe two months ago to sync time after a reboot. All the modifications listed above were installed more than a year ago and nothing new has been installed or modified since. I only transfer books (azw3) to my device through calibre. I also try out new fonts sometimes (I've disabled the chinese/japanese fonts with the fonts hack and autohint freetype=on). I had ~10 custom screensavers. About 220 books with maybe 100MB free, which I usually preserve so it doesn't overload or slow down. ~80% charged, and my battery still lasts more than a month. I also use a passcode. Also I haven't added any books for about two weeks and everything was indexed. I also never install more than six custom fonts at a time. I'm not a newbie so esoteric/"difficult"/"out there" solutions are welcome to save my device.

I loaded a new font three days ago and then KUAL>font hack>reload firmware (standard procedure for new fonts which I've repeated a million times without any problems). It rebooted (It shows two messages while rebooting : "Freetype to autohint freetype" and "randomizing screensavers") and I punched in the passcode. Opened a book and tried out the new font. It was okay, but the device was very sluggish so I did a power button reboot. Even slower now, and it was lagging on the passcode screen. Rebooted automatically two minutes after loading the book list. This time around, I deleted a few books because I suspected low free memory because of all the highlighhting I'd been doing recently, which increases the size of the "My Clippings.txt" file (mine was around 6000 loc). After doing that, I performed another power button reboot, but this time the touch screen wasn't responsive. It has been stuck on the passcode screen ever since.

I've charged it completely, tried extra-long pressing everything, rebooting it while connecting it to my pc to connect (no luck).

'lsusb' can see the kindle, but 'lsblk' doesn't. Unless I get through the passcode, I can't access the internal memory of my device. The screen illuminates perfectly. Backlight turns off when connected to a computer, and turns back on again after disconnecting. No "kindle is connected to computer" screen, but that is expected because it's still locked. I thought there would be a delay between a mount and locking the internal memory of the device (during which I could make a factory reset file) but no luck.

Right now my kindle has been charging uninterrupted for more than a day and the touch screen is still unresponsive. Other than waiting for it to wake up/wipe itself, is there any other way to save the device?

Can it be opened? Can its internal memory be accessed externally? Warranty expired a long time ago and I'll duct tape it and use it, I don't care. I just want to save it.

EDIT:
Is this in the correct subforum? Should I delete this and repost it to the dev subforum?

Last edited by ripkindlepw; 09-06-2018 at 02:15 AM.
ripkindlepw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:14 AM   #2
ripkindlepw
ripkindlepw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1st gen
Update:

Nothing was working, so I was going to connect it through serial. I was half-asleep and used a metal flathead to pry the front bezel and damaged the screen connector. Now the device has a horizontal gray stripe in the middle.

(stock image)

F

RIP Kindle
2013-2018
You were a good friend.
You will be sorely missed.
ripkindlepw is offline   Reply With Quote