Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-18-2018, 02:41 AM   #1
spelmangrad
spelmangrad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre not communicating with any device

Cannot write to file: hr=2147500037 facility=0 error_code=16389 description: Unspecified error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 510, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 218, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 190, in get_driveinfo
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 180, in _update_drive_info
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 151, in put_calibre_file
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 37, in check_thread
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 441, in put_file
WPDError: Cannot write to file: hr=2147500037 facility=0 error_code=16389 description: Unspecified error

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I have had an issue with Calibre not communicating with my Kindle for months now. Initially, I thought it was the device and ran through all of the recommended troubleshooting, shutting down, device and computer, reformatted sd cared, factory reset kindle, revered to previous version of Calibre, removed those files from the device (forget the same of them, but there are two, one relative to metadata and I forget the name of the other.)…etc. And yes, I even moved on to syncing the device wirelessly. I would MUCH rather not life like that, it just works in a crunch. Besides, this has to be a bigger issue if it is happening to all of my devices. I also went as far as to remove caliber from my computer and do a clean sweep to ensure it was removed. All to no avail. One last thing, I saw a recommendation relative the memory size one once’s laptop….I have a terabyte and am in no danger of running out of memory.

The issues is – I have more than 7 kindles and I have get the error with ever.single.one.of them. Additionally, I recycle my devices quit frequently, so I never have one more than one year old. Any advice (outside of the cut and past
spelmangrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:07 AM   #2
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
First try different usb cables and ports.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:50 AM   #3
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by spelmangrad View Post
Cannot write to file: hr=2147500037 facility=0 error_code=16389 description: Unspecified error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 510, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 218, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 190, in get_driveinfo
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 180, in _update_drive_info
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 151, in put_calibre_file
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 37, in check_thread
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 441, in put_file
WPDError: Cannot write to file: hr=2147500037 facility=0 error_code=16389 description: Unspecified error

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I have had an issue with Calibre not communicating with my Kindle for months now. Initially, I thought it was the device and ran through all of the recommended troubleshooting, shutting down, device and computer, reformatted sd cared, factory reset kindle, revered to previous version of Calibre, removed those files from the device (forget the same of them, but there are two, one relative to metadata and I forget the name of the other.)…etc. And yes, I even moved on to syncing the device wirelessly. I would MUCH rather not life like that, it just works in a crunch. Besides, this has to be a bigger issue if it is happening to all of my devices. I also went as far as to remove caliber from my computer and do a clean sweep to ensure it was removed. All to no avail. One last thing, I saw a recommendation relative the memory size one once’s laptop….I have a terabyte and am in no danger of running out of memory.

The issues is – I have more than 7 kindles and I have get the error with ever.single.one.of them. Additionally, I recycle my devices quit frequently, so I never have one more than one year old. Any advice (outside of the cut and past
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
First try different usb cables and ports.
Yes try different cables.

I highly recommend MonoPrice usb cables.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:48 PM   #4
spelmangrad

Thank you both. I have tried different ports as a part my troubleshooting as well. I will give the different cable a try and let you all know.

Thank you!!
Old 08-22-2018, 01:05 AM   #5
spelmangrad

So, I tried both things, with new cords, new outlets, all to no avail. It is really frustrating, because I have been all over the internet looking for a solution and cannot find one. I add the cc to my device and can get things on that way - but it is not my preference. It does not help to really manage my library appropriately, i.e. I cannot remove ebooks the way they need to be removed.

At any rate, hurts my heart, but I have to do a factor reset and in the meantime - purchased an entirely new device.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:23 AM   #6
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Android devices including the Fire tablets use mtp to connect. I'm finding this to be problematic on recent Linux versions. Sometimes it seems to connect, other times not. I found changing usb ports sometimes helps. Otherwise, the Linux program android-file-transfer works for me. I'm not aware of any problems under Windows.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:30 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
On linux only a single program can connect to an mtp device at a time. So make sure your desktop environment/file manager is not automounting the device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:30 AM   #8
darryl
Wizard

Thanks Kovid. It sounds like this may be the solution for me and probably the OP.