Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-14-2018, 04:51 PM   #1
rogerpiano
Connoisseur
rogerpiano began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max2
Remap Max 2 hardware buttons

Hello to all. Has anyone tried any apps to remap the Max2 hardware buttons?
I would like to remap one of the 4 front keys to give it the power button function, so as not to always use the original power that seems uncomfortable and even a little weak.

Last edited by rogerpiano; 05-14-2018 at 04:58 PM.
rogerpiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:27 AM   #2
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpiano View Post
Hello to all. Has anyone tried any apps to remap the Max2 hardware buttons?
I would like to remap one of the 4 front keys to give it the power button function, so as not to always use the original power that seems uncomfortable and even a little weak.
Accessibility services allow on Android to remap buttons without the need of root.
The application you are iooking for could be Button Remapper, for example.
Question Mark tried it: I remember his specific need (screenshot) was uncovered but I cannot remember all the findings, it should have worked in general, did you check?
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:49 PM   #3
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Question Mark tried it: I remember his specific need (screenshot) was uncovered but I cannot remember all the findings, it should have worked in general, did you check?
Unfortunately, I couldn't remap either the back button or the power button to take screenshots on a long press. I can't recall what the issue was, but I believe it required root access to do that and I have been unable to root my Note. For some reason it remains invisible to ADB even though ADB has no difficulty seeing my Max1.

Will just have to hope that they enable screenshots on the Note in a future update.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:27 AM   #4
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Unfortunately, I couldn't remap either the back button or the power button to take screenshots on a long press. I can't recall what the issue was, but I believe it required root access to do that and I have been unable to root my Note. For some reason it remains invisible to ADB even though ADB has no difficulty seeing my Max1.
For Button Remapper, I'll check on the Max2: Accessibility Services should be enough.

For ADB, when you will have time, check those links I posted: it must work.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:38 AM   #5
Jayjee
Connoisseur
Jayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Quote:
For Button Remapper, I'll check on the Max2: Accessibility Services should be enough.

For ADB, when you will have time, check those links I posted: it must work.
On the Max 2, I use this one
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...uttonsremapper

It works fine without root - I do not require screenshot to be remapped, and can't find it in the standard list the app offers. You can choose to fire a shortcut, so one workaround could be installing an app that has a shortcut/activity to trigger a screenshot.

Best,
Jan
Jayjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:44 AM   #6
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjee View Post
On the Max 2, I use this one [com.irishin.buttonsremapper]
Confirmed, it is the one I was pointing to (without the full package name, and missing the plural in a typo).

By the way, I cannot remember (and it should have been for the other thread, sorry), but:
screencap -p /sdcard/myscreenshot.png
is the command to take screenshots; if Buttons Remapper accepts shell commands you should be set.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:18 PM   #7
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Unfortunately, I couldn't remap either the back button or the power button to take screenshots on a long press
I tried Button Remapper on the Max2, it works (tried long press of Back as Home), but the only way I see to grab a screenshot would be to call an app that does it.
It should probably be an app that opens a blank, transparent Activity, and calls `screencap`.
If you do not find any app already public to do it, it should not be long to code, and I may provide (though I am not able to telly exactly when).
Old 05-17-2018, 09:53 PM   #8
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
I tried Button Remapper on the Max2, it works (tried long press of Back as Home), but the only way I see to grab a screenshot would be to call an app that does it.
It should probably be an app that opens a blank, transparent Activity, and calls `screencap`.
If you do not find any app already public to do it, it should not be long to code, and I may provide (though I am not able to telly exactly when).
Thanks for the suggestions. Button Remapper works well and I found a screenshot app, Screenshot Touch, that I can actually use without having to use a button. So, as it turns out, I don't really need to use Button Remapper to take screenshots.

That said, I have used it to call up the Screenshot Touch app as you suggested. It saves me having to go into the apps folder to specifically start it or having to leave it running in the background all the time when I seldom need it.

I had tried Button Remapper before when you first mentioned it. But because it didn't list "screenshot" in its standard list of options, I had mistakenly assumed that I would need to root the device to get it to work.

Hadn't realized that I could use Button Remapper to call up another app. Although that probably wouldn't have helped me at the time because all the screenshot apps I tried didn't work well for one reason or another. Most seemed to require the use of a combination of physical buttons the Note doesn't have or required that you shake the device.

Although I now have a suitable workaround, I do hope they enable the screenshot function at the long press of one of the buttons. That would be by far the easiest. I'm not really so keen on having to have other apps running in the background when I seldom need them.

Last edited by Question Mark; 05-17-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote