Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-06-2018, 02:13 PM   #1
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Sony PRS-T2
Uncompromising Honor - eARC - beware spoiler

One of the things I like about Baen Books is that you can buy a copy of the ARC of various new books a couple of months before the publishing date. One of the books that I picked up this week during the Spring orgy of new books is the advanced reader copy of Uncompromising Honor, David Weber's 14th main line Honor Harrington series due out in October, some 6 plus years after the last one (#13 Rising Thunder).

I will put in only one spoiler, it appears to be the last of the main line HH books in that it manages to wrap up the war between the Alliance and the Solar League.

From that stand point, this is basically a review of the main line series as a whole, a series that started back in 1992 some 26 years ago. IMPO, as much as I loved the first 9 books, each book since then has suffered from more and more bloat. Some of that, I suspect, is that Weber allowed the Mesa Alignment sub story, which appeared to start as part of the Crown of Slaves branch, to take over the main branch. IMPO, he would have done better never to have added the Alignment sub plot.

The series shines when it focuses on the Harrington character and action and doesn't wander off into the long side conversations designed to explain things to the reader or long family interaction scenes. Frankly, in the last four books, I find myself scanning larger and larger sections that were designed to give the reader nuanced back story that doesn't really move the plot line along much. Given that his Safehold series, which is with Tor rather than Baen, suffered from the same overall issue, I don't think the issue is the editor. I have noticed that quite a few authors run into this issue after a decade or so of writing.

All in all, it was nice getting a resolution to the main line series. Hopefully now that the HH saga and Safehold saga were resolved, he will work on wrapping up the War God saga. At 65, he probably won't finish that series if he takes 3 to 5 years between books.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote