Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-24-2020, 05:01 PM   #16
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
As for fantasy and other sub-genres..........yes she likes fantasy as well. She is definitely more of a Sci-Fi "lite" kind of girl than hard Sci-Fi though.
If fantasy is OK, I very strongly recommend The Sharing Knife series by Lois McMaster Bujold. It's four books in total. The main romance is sorted out in the first two books, but I would expect that she'd enjoy all four.

The first book is Beguilement, the second is Legacy.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:44 PM   #17
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Does the Chronicles of St. Mary's series include a romance plot? I've only read the first one and I vaguely remember something but details are scarce. I enjoyed the first one, I remember that.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2020, 11:29 AM   #18
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Lisanne Norman's Turning Point. It's the first book in a series and is SF.

For fantasy Bujold's Penric and Desdemona novellas. It's book 4 before he meets the lady he falls in love with and book 7 before they are married but they are quick reads.

Jayne Castle Ghost Hunters series. Paranormal Romances.

First Channel by Jaqueline Lichtenberg. SF.

The Blue Sword and The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley. Fantasy
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:35 PM   #19
kndlewis
Connoisseur
kndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watch

Device: Current Favorite: Boox Leaf
Also Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series.
I read the first, our heroine gets stuck in the past, but I felt there was a bit too much romance for my taste.
There's at least 8 books in the series.
kndlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:53 PM   #20
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kndlewis View Post
Also Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series.
I read the first, our heroine gets stuck in the past, but I felt there was a bit too much romance for my taste.
There's at least 8 books in the series.
Sci-Fi? Time Travel ok, but Sci-Fi?
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2020, 06:43 PM   #21
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I echo the recommendation for Jessie Mihalik's Consortium series, and yes, the third book is due out soon. After reading the first two in that series, I also read and liked Mihalik's two Rogue Queen books, which feel like they maybe should have a third one coming, and since the second was published in 2019, there might be.

(As only an occasional sci-fi reader, much more of a mystery reader, where series can be really long, I sometimes wonder why do so many sci-fi book series come in threes? Granted there are also some long sci-fi and fantasy series, but a lot of threes...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I just read Polaris Rising by Jessie Mihalik. It was a good blend of sci-fi and romance. It's a whole trilogy. The third book is out in May, I think.

Last edited by sufue; 03-26-2020 at 06:52 PM.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:50 PM   #22
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I also really like some of Ilona Andrews' series, although their better known ones (Kate Daniels, Hidden Legacy) are more urban fantasy than sci-fi, I think.

However their Innkeeper series feels somewhat sci-fi-ish to me - although I'm not much good at sussing out various genres, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong . And it has some romance in it. And, curiously enough, to help out folks who are home-bound because of coronavirus, just today Ilona Andrews have put the first three titles in the Innkeeper series in an omnibus on sale for $0.99 for all three, which makes the series pretty easy to try. They're calling it their "plague sale", but don't be put off by that...the series has nothing to do with the plague.

Info in this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3968444
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:00 PM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post

(As only an occasional sci-fi reader, much more of a mystery reader, where series can be really long, I sometimes wonder why do so many sci-fi books come in threes? Granted there are also some long sci-fi and fantasy series, but a lot of threes...)
I’m not at all an SF reader, but I’ll take a stab at this.

Mystery series tend to be self-contained books. There may be, probably are, elements in the personal arc of the protagonist that develop over the series, but each book is a fully developed story. Back in the day, before ebooks, it wasn’t at all unlikely that depending on availability at the bookstore and the library, that you might miss out a title or two; at that, you might have picked it up in the middle of the series and then backtracked. No harm done, and the books worked perfectly well.

I suspect, especially with the world-building in SF&F, that you can’t read later books in a series as satisfactorily without reading the earlier ones. Moreover, I think they’re more likely to be telling an over-arcing story that’s broken down into chunks. Hence the trilogies. With a trilogy, you don’t have later books in a long series held hostage to the availability of earlier books (not much of a problem now), but also and IMO very importantly, three books is about the right number to tell an over-arcing story. The setup, the ramp-up, the final confrontation. Longer series and there’s too much wheel-spinning going on before the final confrontation.

But what do I know? I mean that seriously. Not my genre.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:23 PM   #24
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
(As only an occasional sci-fi reader, much more of a mystery reader, where series can be really long, I sometimes wonder why do so many sci-fi book series come in threes? Granted there are also some long sci-fi and fantasy series, but a lot of threes...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I’m not at all an SF reader, but I’ll take a stab at this.
But what do I know? I mean that seriously. Not my genre.
issybird's reasoning could be totally correct, I have no idea. My thoughts have always been somewhat different though but I can't say why I have thought this so could be completely wrong.

I was under the impression that "trilogies" or extended series were what publishers wanted from sci-fi and fantasy authors after the success of The Lord of the Rings being published that way. It just became the "thing" that sci-fi/fantasy does and an expectation much the way that they are expected to be longer. A 200-300 page mystery or romance. Not a problem. A 200-300 page fantasy? "Why is it so short?"
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:06 PM   #25
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
If you want romance stories inside a SF shell, have her try Lindsay Buroker....
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:17 AM   #26
ShortNet
Connoisseur
ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (all flavors from 1 thru Oasis)
Seconding many of the recommendations above, including Sharon Lee/Steven Miller and Linnea Sinclair (Accidental Goddess is amazing)

Lighter sci-fi romance:
Coffee Cup Dreams by J. A. Marlow
Dark Horse by Michelle Diener
Ruby Lionsdrake series

For not as light romantic science fiction:
Brainships series - by Anne McCaffery
Disappearing Act - by Margaret Ball
ShortNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:11 PM   #27
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
I also really like some of Ilona Andrews' series, although their better known ones (Kate Daniels, Hidden Legacy) are more urban fantasy than sci-fi, I think.

However their Innkeeper series feels somewhat sci-fi-ish to me - although I'm not much good at sussing out various genres, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong . And it has some romance in it. And, curiously enough, to help out folks who are home-bound because of coronavirus, just today Ilona Andrews have put the first three titles in the Innkeeper series in an omnibus on sale for $0.99 for all three, which makes the series pretty easy to try. They're calling it their "plague sale", but don't be put off by that...the series has nothing to do with the plague.

Info in this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3968444
The Innkeeper series and their Kate Daniels series are well worth reading and definitely romance. Patricia Briggs Mercy Thomson series also falls in that category. Romance but well enough written to hold even a guy who isn't into Romance's interest (i.e. Moi). But both tend more towards the para-normal romance genre than pure SF. Innkeeper is more para-normal romance with a SF veneer while the Mercy Thomson and Kate Daniels are very much para-normal without SF elements.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:27 PM   #28
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
SciFi series with female protagonists, with various degrees of romantic involvement:

Sharon Lee & Steve Miller - Liaden Universe series

Jean Johnson - Theirs Not To Reason Why series

Joel Shepherd - Cassandra Kresnov series

Mike Shepherd - Kris Longknife series

Tanya Huff - Confederation series

David Weber - Honor Harrington series

Debra Doyle & James D. MacDonald - Mageworlds series

Chris Moriarty - Spin series

Ann Aguirre - Sirantha Jax series and Dred Chronicles series

Dana Stabenow - Star Svensdotter series

S L Viehl - Stardoc series

Catherine Asaro - Skolian Empire series and Major Bhaajan series

Rachel Bach - Paradox series

Elizabeth Moon - Vatta's War series

And one with a lot of strong secondary female characters, David Weber & John Ringo - Empire of Man series

-------------

If she's interested in Urban Fantasy, I can provide a list for that, too.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:49 PM   #29
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Wow, I never would have thought there'd be so much romance in Sci-Fi for some reason.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions, we both really appreciate it.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:51 PM   #30
jviscosi
Connoisseur
jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Focus, Nook Glowlight 4/4+, Inkbook Obsidian, Kindle Keyboard
Sheri S. Tepper has a few that might qualify, like "Grass" and "A Plague of Angels", both of which I quite liked. ("APoA" reads as fantasy at first, but is not.) Beware of her sequels though.
jviscosi is offline   Reply With Quote