Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-12-2020, 12:12 PM   #1
MichaelHopkins
MichaelHopkins began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Transferring from old to new

I have a very old Kindle Touch, and have just upgraded to a new Kindle Paperwhite.

I had everything neatly organised in "collections" on my Touch. I tried transferring by instructing the Amazon website to deliver the my new Paperwhite, but this was very patchy.

I then plugged both into the computer and copied all the files from the old to the new. Some of my collections have come up, but not others, and some are empty.

Should I just conclude that the Paperwhite doesn't work in the same way, and I'm lucky to have what I have? Or am I missing something?
MichaelHopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:26 PM   #2
Sol Arkite
Zealot
Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: KV; PW3 ; PW2 ; k5; KT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHopkins View Post
I then plugged both into the computer and copied all the files from the old to the new. Some of my collections have come up, but not others, and some are empty.
Book files downloaded from amazon are typically (but not always) protected by DRM and consequently are device specific. You likely wouldn’t get the books to work on another device if they have the DRM. The way amazon wants you to use a new, registered, device is to download all files from them through the new device. Or from the management website but specific to the new device. In theory it should maintain collections, reading stats, etc.

Last edited by Sol Arkite; 03-12-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Sol Arkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2020, 03:05 PM   #3
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
But you might look into the new "cloud collections" that are available now (well, for kindles since the last 4 years or so). The collections live in the cloud, and can have a few downloaded to the kindle. Also, some (or all) of each collection's contents can live only on the cloud, or be already downloaded. It's initially confusing, but works rather well. Manage on the MY CONTENTS AND DEVICES area, from your PC or MAC, for faster management.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:54 AM   #4
MichaelHopkins
MichaelHopkins began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thank you - i think the answer is that collections have moved to the cloud rather than the device, and i just need to catch up with that!
MichaelHopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:06 PM   #5
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Search on the term "cloud collection" here; I remember at least one thread 3-ish years ago, that cleared up my confusion.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert