Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 05-23-2008, 09:12 AM   #16
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I like where this is going. A few suggestions:

E-Books/Deals, Freebies, and Other Resources can probably be reduced to E-Books/Extras and Resources

I like the idea of a general category for current gear without a specific category (like PCs and laptops, iPods, etc)... perhaps E-books/General Hardware. This goes well with Kovid's idea of a SW category for conversions, and Jon's generic gear sections.

I'm all for Taylor's Book Reviews section... or at least a section that points us to existing reviews sites, with notes related to review and site quality.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:19 AM   #17
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Wow, you guys are great and well a step ahead!

In the next part (part II), I was going to suggest adding a new parent section ("E-Book Tools"). It seems we'd all agree on the necessity to have independent subforums for popular e-book tools.

Also on the list for the next discussion (part III), it was already suggested to include some new sections, like a book review corner, and a place for e-readers that don't have a dedicated forum.

Bob suggested redoing parts of the dedicated e-reader sections (like merging developer forums). Discussion of this step I'd like to postpone until part IV of the reorganization, because we have also some other related proposals for the e-readers forums.

So before we go there, let's recap on what has been suggested so far to deal with ambiguous and perhaps superfluous sections:

1)
E-Books
|-News

becomes

E-Books
|-News and Talk

2)
Mobile Devices
|-General Talk

will be consolidated with E-Books News and Talk and the parent category, Mobile Devices, will be removed.

3)
E-Books
|-Elsewhere on the Net

becomes

E-Books
|-Deals, Freebies, and Other Resources (the title may be a bit long, I dunno)

4)
E-Book Devices
|-Future E-Book Devices

will be consolidated with E-Books News and Talk.

Do you agree with all points 1-4? Do you think there is anything we're forgetting related to ambiguous forums? As Tad and Taylor suggested, there is some ambiguity with E-Books->Content and E-Books->Reading Software, and I'm not exactly sure how we could solve this.

Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2008, 09:27 AM   #18
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
these seem to be good suggestions to me as well, and i am happy to see the ambiguity resolved. Content is possibly category that is the least intuitive to me (and i see i am not alone). perhaps we could rename it to something like "format info and conversion" ; it's good to have a forum about that but it's not clear that that is the one.

also, i've noticed that format questions tend to appear also in the specific device forums ; i know i have posted some questions to the eb1150, which would probably have been more appropriate in the "content" forum, because it seemed more pertinent (confusion...). perhaps we could add categories (like the genre ones) for specific format / devices to that forum.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:38 AM   #19
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I like where this is going. A few suggestions:

E-Books/Deals, Freebies, and Other Resources can probably be reduced to E-Books/Extras and Resources
I'm new here and won't have a lot of input in this thread because I'm still exploring the site. I just wanted to chime in that I would prefer the longer name because I would be clueless as to what "extras" meant. The longer name tells me exactly what I'm getting.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:46 AM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Also on the list for the next discussion (part III), it was already suggested to include some new sections, like a book review corner, and a place for e-readers that don't have a dedicated forum.
Might I sugges that the "Book Recomendations" perhaps be renamed to Book Recos and Review rather than adding a review section. This one area should be good enough for both.

Quote:
Do you agree with all points 1-4? Do you think there is anything we're forgetting related to ambiguous forums?
Yes, I like it so far. I assume the current threads would just be moved and nothing would be lost. Would message links change?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #21
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, I like it so far. I assume the current threads would just be moved and nothing would be lost.
Exactly. All threads will be intact and links will remain the same.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:57 AM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Exactly. All threads will be intact and links will remain the same.
Excellent Alex. You do a great service to us running this site. I think you should add a paypal "Donate Now" button to the links at the top of each page... and provide a paypal subscription option. This site is well worth it to me.

BOb
Old 05-23-2008, 09:58 AM   #23
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes, pilotbob is right, you really do an amazing job here. this is the only forum i frequent so assiduously, thank you for creating it. bravo. and karma to you.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:00 AM   #24
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Just visit and you make my day
Old 05-23-2008, 10:01 AM   #25
zelda_pinwheel

we love you, Alex !
Old 05-23-2008, 10:01 AM   #26
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
assiduously
Ok, I admit it, I had to look that word up. I had an idea but you don't see it used in coversation every day, espesially on a forum.

BOb
Old 05-23-2008, 10:03 AM   #27
zelda_pinwheel

Vocabulary Girl ! secret mission : to bring poly-syllabic words to the masses.
("look ! up in the sky ! it's a bird ! it's a plane ! no, it's...")

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 05-23-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:44 AM   #28
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I'm new here and won't have a lot of input in this thread because I'm still exploring the site. I just wanted to chime in that I would prefer the longer name because I would be clueless as to what "extras" meant. The longer name tells me exactly what I'm getting.
I'm not that new to the forum and I agree! If part of the reason for the reorganization is to remove ambiguity, I think the longer title (or one that imparts the same information) is better.

This is a great idea and will improve the forum. Things are exciting right now in the ebook world and it's great to see MobileRead keeping up. I have a saying: websites are like sharks; they must move forward or die. Keep up the good work!
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:12 PM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ok, I admit it, I had to look that word up. I had an idea but you don't see it used in coversation every day, espesially on a forum.

BOb
Now if you only had a reader with a built-in dictionary...

HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #30
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Now if you only had a reader with a built-in dictionary...

I should have my Kindle very soon. I need to add a dictionary (spell check and lookup) add-in's to my browser. However, I hear Mac's have this built into the OS.

BOb

Tags
forum reorganization, mobileread