Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Angry Disappointed with K3

I've been watching the K3 posts for the past few weeks, and when I was in Target earlier this week I saw a graphite K3 demo -- and realized they had 'em in stock! I bought one home with me (and the wife still hasn't figured out I have a new toy). The e-ink still amazes me, it's unbelievably readable outside, and the page refresh beats the heck out of the competitors. I love Whispernet too. The form factor is just perfect, even thought the keyboard is barely usable.

But... How crude is the collections management? I've been using MobiPocket on my Tilt 2 (Windows phone) for over a year, and started using Kindle for PC not too long ago. MobiPocket on the PC has dozens of options for sorting and managing (segregating by author, or bookshelf view, or...) and Kindle for PC has the cool view with the book covers floating over the background.

The Kindle's management system is as plain, ugly, and boring as an old DOS menu. No way to view the book covers that I can find, no way to effectively manage collections by using embedded information, and on and on. I just can't describe how disappointed I am; I thought I was getting a state of the art piece of equipment, but what I have feels like I'm driving around a stripped down '76 Chevy Vega instead. To add insult, Amazon does its best to lock out users in a way that would make Steve Jobs proud, and I'm not very happy with the amount of information my Kindle sends back to Amazon without my permission.

I really want a little more "wow" in my collections management. At the very least, show me book cover thumbnails with the title and author info (and in a way that isn't cut off on the right margin when the combined title and author info is really long).

My Kindle might have to go back to Target and I'll just keep sideloading books onto my phone...
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Have you tried using Calibre as your collection manager? I know it's not an on-Kindle application but thought I'd throw the suggestion your way; I could well be way offbase for this.

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 12:06 AM   #3
IntegrityWolf
^_^
IntegrityWolf began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch (Wi-Fi)
I'm sorry you are disappointed.

I think however, that the thumbnails of the covers wouldn't come out well anyway. It's just an e-ink screen. The Kindle's purpose is just to read and really, nothing else. It renders simple pictures/graphs just fine but nothing much else. I must admit, I do read manga on my kindle and it renders beautifully, but it's much bigger than a thumbnail.
IntegrityWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:16 AM   #4
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
Have you tried using Calibre as your collection manager? I know it's not an on-Kindle application but thought I'd throw the suggestion your way; I could well be way offbase for this.

Paul.
I use calibre exclusively to edit the metadata and ensure my cover art is correct (many purchased books have incorrect metadata, believe it or not) but that does me NO good whatsoever on my Kindle.

I don't hate my new Kindle; I'm just disappointed. I expected a lot more gee-whiz flash from the Kindle than from the outdated and apparently unsupported MobiPocket version on my phone. Certainly I assumed collections management would have some degree of sophistication!
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:30 AM   #5
vega07
Enthusiast
vega07 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
I agree with you wholeheartedly OP. Please send an email to Amazon. If they have enough people requesting a better GUI and collections management, they might oblige.

I would really love a bookshelf 3x3 view, so 9 books showing. There is enough screen space for it and I think it would look really nice.
vega07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 12:37 AM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I think Amazon is following the "Keep it simple" rule. A list of books, with optional collections, is about as simple as you can get.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:38 AM   #7
vega07
Enthusiast
vega07 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I think Amazon is following the "Keep it simple" rule. A list of books, with optional collections, is about as simple as you can get.
It's not simple when you have 200+ books to organize and 20+ pages to go through.
vega07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:35 AM   #8
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
I have to agree with you on the lack of a shelf view. The cover thumbnail shown on each book's item details page is perfectly readable and rather pretty, so the idea that the e-ink screen isn't up to the task is a red herring. Having a beautiful array of covers on every version of Kindle software except the one on the actual Kindle, is very frustrating in my opinion. (A lot of the books that Amazon sells have strange non-cover cover art for some reason too, but that's another problem itself.)

Before the Kindle OS 2.5 update last June we didn't even have the bare-bones collections feature that we have now, just a single endless list of books. So we are in a rather better position than before. It's just still not a very satisfying one yet, is all. But we can still hope for v3!

I still consider my K3 to be the best ebook reader out there, except for this software limitation (and its inability to show image-based PDFs/scanned books very cleanly, though arguably that might be a hardware limitation). It's just that there are clear places where it could be improved.

When I wrote to Amazon with a fairly thought-out list of improvements I'd like to see, they graciously replied and thanked me for it, so along with the room for improvement, there is also hope. Their hearts seem to be in the right place.

Last edited by Snorkledorf; 09-26-2010 at 01:57 AM. Reason: er, make that "...hope for v4!" We're already at v3, aren't we...
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:43 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityWolf View Post
I'm sorry you are disappointed.

I think however, that the thumbnails of the covers wouldn't come out well anyway. It's just an e-ink screen. The Kindle's purpose is just to read and really, nothing else. It renders simple pictures/graphs just fine but nothing much else. I must admit, I do read manga on my kindle and it renders beautifully, but it's much bigger than a thumbnail.
I have to disagree, I'm afraid. The Bookeen Cybook devices use a thumbnail cover image as their primary library interface, and it works very well indeed. The new Sony devices also use cover images. There's no problem at all in using an eInk screen for this purpose.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:00 AM   #10
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega07 View Post
It's not simple when you have 200+ books to organize and 20+ pages to go through.
I didn't say it couldn't be cumbersome, but it's still simple.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:08 AM   #11
wongdong
Connoisseur
wongdong has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 360, Pocketbook 903
Loool, man i completely agree with you. Kindles Hardware (including of course the screen) is really top notch IMHO. But the software is.. well.. crap.

The amazing thing is, that even their bookstore is supernice compared to the selection menu. The only thing i would need is one other option on top (Sort by: author, title, collection and FOLDER) Then i'd be happy.

btw. The first thing I did when i got my kindle was installing a custom screensaver (with the cover of the book I'm currently reading), and an English-German Dictionary (from dict.cc). After that i was somewhat pacified. If i can also get the folder structure to show (and filenames as titles), then i'm completely happy. Will be a matter of weeks i guess.

And best look at it that way: 97% of the time I use an ebook reader I am reading a book. For that, the screen (contrast, readability, speed etc..) matters. Thats very good on the kindle. 0.5% I'm looking up words on the dictionary since I'm not a native speaker (solved with dict.cc). 0.5% is choosing the next book to read (crap i admit) and 2% is other stuff (web? creating collections etc.).
Oh and 100% of the time when i'm NOT using it, it shows the picture i want.

In my optinion (and for that price!) I think we can be satisfied and overlook the shortcomings. And who knows... maybe Amazon will create better firmware some day ;-)

Oh and someday I met a random guy on the street who happened to have a kindle 3 and he mentioned something about buying ebooks, removing the DRM and share it (and the cost) with his buddy as he would also do with an ordinary book. Complete twisted morality if you ask me. But then again, its just hearsay ;-)
wongdong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:33 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wongdong View Post
If i can also get the folder structure to show (and filenames as titles), then i'm completely happy. Will be a matter of weeks i guess.
I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. I see absolutely no reason that Amazon should suddenly provide a folder browser, given that they haven't done so in the 2 (?) years that the Kindle has been around.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:39 AM   #13
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
A coupe of years ago I remember being asked by Sony for my views on the 505 and I did suggest a cover flow (a la i-Tunes) would be nice.

However, in the intervening period I have increasingly felt such a facility, whilst visually impressive, would not be that useful. I have taken great care in Calibre to find nice book covers for my e-books, but when I actually seek to find a book I either look by author, title or tag. (Similarly, the media player software I now use on my music server does not display album covers either and I do not miss them).

Having switched to a Kindle from Sony, I cannot say I have missed seeing the book cover at all.

Now, an organisation structure which truly worked on metadata and tags, that would be nice!
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:49 AM   #14
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
I agree that the K3 collection concept is not good enough.
It IS better than nothing, but ...
For MY purposes 2 levels of collections would be brilliant, making it possible to organize authors, and then series underneath.
Listing book in series order would be even more brilliant based on metadata.
Just my 50 øre (smalest danish currency so far)
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:11 AM   #15
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Duplicated comment.

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 09-26-2010 at 05:17 AM.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote