Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What friendly book will we read in June?
Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian 7 53.85%
A Catskill Eagle by Robert B. Parker 3 23.08%
My Brilliant Friend by Elana Ferrante 5 38.46%
Absolute Friends by John Le Carré 6 46.15%
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas 8 61.54%
My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman 4 30.77%
Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery 5 38.46%
The Little White Bird by J.M. Barrie 6 46.15%
The Orphan's Tale by Pam Jenoff 2 15.38%
Truth and Beauty: A Friendship by Ann Patchett 3 23.08%
Greyfriars Bobby by Eleanor Atkinson 3 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
There is a new translation available by Lawrence Ellsworth who did the translation of The Red Sphinx a couple of years ago. (The Red Sphinx is a direct sequel to The Three Musketeers, but follows Cardinal Richelieu, Queen Anne, King Louis and the Comte de Moret.)

https://www.amazon.com/Three-Muskete...6046297&sr=1-1
Thanks. I have this one now on reserve at the library. I'm next in line.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:14 AM   #32
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
There is a new translation available by Lawrence Ellsworth who did the translation of The Red Sphinx a couple of years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
The Hobson translation, which is based on the Pevear, is another modern translation, and more reasonably priced than the only copy of the Pevear that I found. I might well go with the Hobson. At £1.99 it's not expensive, and appears to avoid the Bowdlerization of the Robson and and Barrow ones. There's also an Ellsworth translation, but it's too expensive to justify, given that the Hobson one is cheap and the Victorian ones free.
I just ran across a blog post by Ellsworth from three years ago which praised the Hobson translation! Did he have second thoughts, "Hmm, I can do better than that!"?
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #33
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Anyone reading it in French?
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #34
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I just ran across a blog post by Ellsworth from three years ago which praised the Hobson translation! Did he have second thoughts, "Hmm, I can do better than that!"?
Even in the introduction to his translation he says good things about the Hobson translation, and he clearly took it as a baseline. (And it, in turn, used the Pevear translation as its baseline.) But I suspect he was offered sufficient money to provide a new one, giving the publisher something that they could copyright and sell for more money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Anyone reading it in French?
Sadly, not here. I'm afraid my French doesn't extend beyond basic restaurant French.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:13 AM   #35
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can read the language well, but my accent is terrible. I've always been laughed at when trying to speak French
Advert
Old 05-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #36
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I don't know which version I have. I downloaded it from the Public Domain section of feedbooks. It doesn't say anywhere which translation it is.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:29 PM   #37
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I have the version from the BN Classics series; the copyright page says the translator is anonymous.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:36 PM   #38
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I have the version from the BN Classics series; the copyright page says the translator is anonymous.
I have this same version. I picked it up when BN did a freebie promotion of dozens of classics a few years ago. I forgot about it until I searched my calibre library. It matches word for word the John Lee audiobook that I also have. I think issybird posted earlier that the John Lee version matches the Hobson translation.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:33 PM   #39
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I have this same version. I picked it up when BN did a freebie promotion of dozens of classics a few years ago. I forgot about it until I searched my calibre library. It matches word for word the John Lee audiobook that I also have. I think issybird posted earlier that the John Lee version matches the Hobson translation.
I had mentioned earlier that the collaborative version at LibriVox purports to be the Robson translation. According to the title credits, the in-progress solo version at LibriVox is the Hobson translation.

At this point, I'm starting to consider just going with the Classics Illustrated comic book!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:54 PM   #40
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Apologies. Issybird said the Lee audiobook appears to be the Robson translation so I believe that is what matches the BN Classic that I have.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:08 PM   #41
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I had downloaded the version from the MobileRead library, but again, it doesn’t appear to mention the translator.

Luffy, I would love to read it in French, but I doubt I could do it in a month, as my French is so rusty. It looks as if you will be on your own.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:28 AM   #42
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I had downloaded the version from the MobileRead library, but again, it doesn’t appear to mention the translator.

Luffy, I would love to read it in French, but I doubt I could do it in a month, as my French is so rusty. It looks as if you will be on your own.
Do you know there's a sequel to the Three Musketeers? I only recently became aware of this. I will soldier on, pun not intended.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:56 AM   #43
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Yes, there are a number of books which Dumas called the dArtagnan Romances. I must admit I haven’t read them though, but one day ...
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #44
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
The last of them is The Count of Monte Cristo. The ones in the middle are less well known.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:55 PM   #45
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I will admit, I'm going to have to power through this somehow. I wasn't super keen on Monte Cristo, which I just finished a few weeks ago. I never would have tackled it if I had known I was just going to have to turn around and read him again.

I was hoping Librivox would have a good audio version, but no dice there. No joy with Lit2Go either. I'm still hoping I can find a good, free audio version. If anyone out there stumbles on one, I'd appreciate a link!
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote