Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-15-2018, 10:27 AM   #1
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Question surname? Omarose Onee Manigault Newman

looking forward to getting the book ( unhinged) and filing it to Calibre but I am stuck on what's her surname/ what will be the correct author/ author sort
Amazon kindle sample is unclear, on the Amazon site she is Omarose Onee Manigault - no commas, no surname indicator - and elsewhere i can also find
Omarose Onee Manigault-Newman.
plus there's wikipedia saying she favours having only having single name Omarose ( like Prince, and various other poseurs ]

So, without a sidetrack into the merits of the book, can we discuss how to properly index it please?
PS the book cover does not help either
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:16 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Vanity Fair refers to her as Omarosa Manigault-Newman as does the Boston Globe. Manigault was her father's family name and Newman is her husband's family name, so its not hard to work out.

By the same token is it Sanders, Sarah Huckabee or Sanders Huckabee, Sarah; as a foreigner I often wonder.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:22 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Looking at the end of her Wikipedia entry, she is referred to as "Manigault Newman, Omarosa" in the author listing for Unhinged. The Canadian Book of Style indicates that where a surname is appended to a woman's birth name after marriage, regardless of whether or not a hyphen is used (she's used both forms as Manigault-Stallworth and Manigault Newman), both surnames constitute the last name.

So any of:

Manigault, Omarosa
Manigault Newman, Omarosa
Manigault, Omarosa Onee
Manigault Newman, Omarosa Onee

would be considered correct. Given the book cover, "Manigault Newman, Omarosa" would be my suggested author sort. We could do a riff on using Omarose which appears to be the spelling used on her birth record.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:56 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks guys - I appreciate that I can index her anyway I choose but I wanted a librarians' take on how it should be done. ( and as I am not a fan of The Apprentice, I'd never heard of her before the upcoming book got talked about )
Old 08-16-2018, 01:30 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@stumped - I'd never heard of her until I read your post

I thought she might have been an African writer, in which I take a particular interest. Some of them have unusual names like NoViolet Bulawayo, who wrote a quite good book titled "We Need New Names".

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:39 AM   #6
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pseudonymous Authors

She uses pseudonyms, one of which is "Omarose", so you could use the "Pseudonymous Authors" functionality "Update Real Authors Custom Column for Pseudonymous Authors" from here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...96289#poststop

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:12 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard

I thought a surname had to be a single word (the clue being that we say surname not surnames)
So my surname could be Smith. or Jones, or Smith-Jones but not "Smith Jones".
(Sticking to English names here, else it gets complicated )
But no such actual rule exists ?
Glad I don't have to code the author to author sort rule
Old 08-16-2018, 11:13 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I thought a surname had to be a single word (the clue being that we say surname not surnames)
Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

For fun, take a look at this Wikipedia article and these this and this mobileread threads
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:03 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Quite a few surnames are multiple word though there a more correct terms such as double surname or hyphentated surname. Then you have the particle such as de, da, von, van etc. as part of a surname -- Leonardo da Vinci as an example.

If you want real fun, consider one poor child locally whose parents had hyphenated surnames and passed them on to their child. Joyeux Alexandrina Julianna Mulberry-McCullough-Letterman-Stauffenbacher (not the real name but I matched the letter counts) whose last name made the Ministry of Education's student information system unhappy. It made the German decision to forbid surnames with more than two components seem reasonable.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:06 AM   #10
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
...Given the book cover, "Manigault Newman, Omarosa" would be my suggested author sort. ...
I think this is the key. Given that we are dealing with the "name" of the author of a book, their real legal name is of absolutely no consequence.

What is important is the author's pen name, as listed on the book's title page. You won't find a library listing Huckleberry Finn as being written by Samuel Clemens.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:30 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard

i get that novelists can have pen names, & performers can have stage names..

but the book in question claims to be a biography.

has there ever been a "biography" published by a Pen Name ?

the entity concerned wants "Omarosa" to be a stand alone single word name *, so that book cover is arguably wrong

* extract from chapter 2:
When I walked in to the room, a geeky-looking guy with glasses introduced himself. “Hi, I’m Rob LaPlante,” he said.
“Hi, I’m Omarosa.”
“Omarosa what?” he asked.
“Just Omarosa!” I delivered the line with precision and sass.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:58 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
has there ever been a "biography" published by a Pen Name ?
Autobiography of Mark Twain: The Complete and Authoritative Edition, Vol. 1 Hardcover – November 15, 2010
by Mark Twain (Author), Harriet E. Smith (Editor), Benjamin Griffin (Editor), Victor Fischer (Editor), Michael B. Frank (Editor), Sharon K. Goetz (Editor), Leslie Diane Myrick (Editor)
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:53 PM   #13
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
i get that novelists can have pen names, & performers can have stage names..

but the book in question claims to be a biography.

has there ever been a "biography" published by a Pen Name ?...
I'm sure that there have been many, with chaley's mention of Twain's being only one example.

A pen name is the name an author uses when writing a book. It doesn't matter what genre any of their books are. Pen names are not always as "artificial" as Twain's. If you put a fine point on it, any name that is not the author's full legal name is a form of pen name, being different that their full legal name.

This point is made in the Wikipedia listing for Winston Churchill (the American novelist). He communicated with "the other Churchill" (the British author and statesman) at various times, and when the younger Churchill (by ~3 years) began publishing there was confusion because of the name duplication. The British Churchill offered to use his full name as his pen name, "Winston Spenser Churchill", so the American could continue to use simply "Winston Churchill", as he had done for years, and the confusion would be avoided. Later editions of the British Churchill's writings usually replaced "Spenser" with "S.", but should never be properly listed without either. Even though these were all or part of their legal names, they are also their pen names.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:41 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Multiple word surnames aren't that unusual. Eg Arthur Conan Doyle's surname was "Conan Doyle", not "Doyle" (ie he should be sorted under "C", not "D"), and Alexander McCall Smith's surname is "McCall Smith" ("M", not "C").
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:28 PM   #15
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Multiple word surnames aren't that unusual. Eg Arthur Conan Doyle's surname was "Conan Doyle", not "Doyle" (ie he should be sorted under "C", not "D"), and Alexander McCall Smith's surname is "McCall Smith" ("M", not "C").
The Spencer family who succeeded to the Dukedom of Marlborough obtained permission in 1817 to call themselves Spencer-Churchill, in memory of the 1st Duke, John Churchill.
But many members of the family, most notably Winston, have dropped the hyphen, and are generally listed under "Churchill", rather than Spencer-Churchill or Spencer Churchill.
The 1953 Nobel Prize for Literature was awarded to "Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill".
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote