Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-28-2016, 07:43 PM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Hitch - don't discount the possibility that 'someone', perhaps via a third party, sought the removal of your client's book because 'someone' already has, or is about to have, a similar book listed at the same shop. Authors are just as capable of anti-competitive conduct as is anyone else is. Stories of writers hiding other writer's books in book shops are legion.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:06 PM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Hitch - don't discount the possibility that 'someone', perhaps via a third party, sought the removal of your client's book because 'someone' already has, or is about to have, a similar book listed at the same shop. Authors are just as capable of anti-competitive conduct as is anyone else is. Stories of writers hiding other writer's books in book shops are legion.

BR
Sweet baby Jesus. I can't think about that. That would be the very, very last straw. You guys would end up seeing some story on CNN..."wild woman goes berserker at a writer's convention...see our exclusive footage..."

:-)
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:28 PM   #18
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Quote:
As mentioned earlier, we offer limited support for EPUB FXL file. However, I would encourage you to visit MobileRead's forum (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=179). Many designers and formatters congregate there to help one another with these kinds of technical problems.
Classic.

Quote:
When SW was using "the grinder," sure--that makes sense. But as near as I can tell (because I looked for that, too), they didn't. Dammit. And I have NO way to get to iBooks. The testing I can do would not include any post-publishing stuff.
Does Smashwords not use "the grinder" any more? Or they only use it on the submitted Word documents and not EPUBs?

I must admit, I haven't paid much attention to Smashwords in years.

Quote:
I ended up with BC due to someone here. I don't remember whom--but it was someone here that turned me on to it. It's been a great tool.
Probably me. I mentioned it quite a few times on the forums + emails.

I settled onto Beyond Compare after testing all the other code comparison tools... most of the other tools didn't do the greatest when larger changes occurred. At a certain point, whoops, everything beyond this point "doesn't match", and the algorithm would have a hard/impossible time realigning itself later in the document. This was especially true if you did large changes like getting rid of a ton of InDesign/Word cruft, doing mass useless span removal, and adding/removing paragraphs (moving footnotes to the end of a chapter, [...]).

Also, speaking of hashing... does anyone else use checksum by corz?

http://corz.org/windows/software/checksum/

I also settled on that program after quite a few tests (around the same time I settled on Beyond Compare). It is just the best damn thing since sliced bread when I used to hash a massive (or not so massive) amount of files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Perhaps a strange suggestion, but could it be that the one reporting the problem actually used another program than iBooks and encountered the issue there? I mean a lot of people confuse iBooks with iPad.
Yeah, I say this sounds quite plausible as well. Probably loading an iBooks FXL EPUB into some other program.

How about iBooks on the iPad and iBooks on the Mac? Are there differences?

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 03-30-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:44 AM   #19
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Stardate, 4-13-16. Entering the Smashwords Cluster....

Ladies and Gents:

Well, if you've been playing along on our home version of the game, you know that when we last left off, I was up the proverbial creek. iBooks said that the FXL ePUB was bad, and removed it from sale. Smashwords assured me in no uncertain terms that they don't mess with FXL ePUBs; they don't change "a thing," to quote them. Mark Coker had, more or less, insulted me by saying that they never had problems with FXL, "when they are properly created." (Do we have a growing dog emoty????).

I'd emailed back and forth, back and forth. I saw screenshots of the alleged corrupted book. I ripped open that eBook and did a necropsy. I looked at pretty much every. line. of. code. All in all, I'm hoping that all the hair will grow back in.

TODAY, I get an update, from my "guy" over at SW:

Quote:
I just heard back from our techies. Turns out that something did change
when we shipped the file to Apple. They've gone ahead and corrected the
code, and I've just set the book to reship to Apple again. We'll know
within a couple of days whether they accept the book this time.

Thanks again for reporting this in the first place. We were able to fix
this minor issue and correct the shipment of a handful of books affected
by it.
[italic emphasis added]

MINOR issue? You mean, the one that is making the book not work at freaking all?

Nonetheless:

I ask him exactly what it was, and he replied:

Quote:
Yes, it's all a little over my head; but the way I understand it is that
our shipment process dropped the following tag:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=1200,height=1200" />

But, this shouldn't be a problem from here on out.
Sweet baby Jesus! Ya THINK that might have wreaked havoc with an FXL book? Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Classic.

Does Smashwords not use "the grinder" any more? Or they only use it on the submitted Word documents and not EPUBs?

I must admit, I haven't paid much attention to Smashwords in years.
Well, before today, they swore to me, repeatedly, that they don't even TOUCH an FXL ePUB, but obviously, their understanding about that was..flawed.

In re: Beyond Compare:

Quote:
Probably me. I mentioned it quite a few times on the forums + emails.

I settled onto Beyond Compare after testing all the other code comparison tools... most of the other tools didn't do the greatest when larger changes occurred. At a certain point, whoops, everything beyond this point "doesn't match", and the algorithm would have a hard/impossible time realigning itself later in the document. This was especially true if you did large changes like getting rid of a ton of InDesign/Word cruft, doing mass useless span removal, and adding/removing paragraphs (moving footnotes to the end of a chapter, [...]).
Yes, I think it was you. No complaints on that front!

Quote:
Also, speaking of hashing... does anyone else use checksum by corz?

http://corz.org/windows/software/checksum/

I also settled on that program after quite a few tests (around the same time I settled on Beyond Compare). It is just the best damn thing since sliced bread when I used to hash a massive (or not so massive) amount of files.
Not prior to this, but I'm never too proud to steal a good idea when I hear it. :-)

Quote:
Yeah, I say this sounds quite plausible as well. Probably loading an iBooks FXL EPUB into some other program.

How about iBooks on the iPad and iBooks on the Mac? Are there differences?
As it turns out, the purchaser wasn't, this time, the issue. It was, well and truly, SW' fault.

I will say that I tweeted Mark, and said something (privately), but I also asked him that while it's great that it's fixed, now, HOW will they be able to find the other FXL books that have been affected? I mean, think about it--the very thing that most of us would think to search on, the very thing that is a FXL "tell" in the database/code, isn't in the file any longer. So...how will SW find, and fix, all the other corrupted book files????

I mean, sure, they could try to find something in CSS, I guess, that might do the trick, but the viewport tag is the fastest/easiest, in my humble opinion. Juzzz sayin'....

Nonetheless, boys and girls, we conclude this week's episode of "Bookmaking: The Untold Horrors." In today's episode, the forces of good triumphed, yet once again. Next week, tune in to find out if our heroine will again trounce the dark forces of sloppy bookmaking and unrealistic expectations! Same Bat Time, Same Bat Channel!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:14 AM   #20
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I assume that SW also sent an apology to your client in saying they made a boo-boo and it was not your fault? Nah, probably not...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote