Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 12-14-2016, 11:51 AM   #1
Terhi
Terhi began at the beginning.

Device: PRS T-1
Recovery mode & win10? (resolved)

Hi,

my ol'sony reader has badsectors which causes unresponsive dictionary, hang after battery charge, hang after reading too many pages, hang after you name it...

To fix this with the help of wiki, I tried to get to recovery mode with unrooted device, however it just didn't. So I rooted it which went fine.

No, when I try to enter security mode (by using ebook_msc.exe), opening book stops 100%, and then just nothing happens. What I think should happen is that windows installs a driver (or I should manually update "Gadget Serial 2.4" -driver). Yellow led is blinking now and then...so maybe it's trying to do something?

There is no recognized or unrecognized devices and COM10 is not active (or any other serialport).

I have allowed my windows 10 to accept non-digital signed drivers to be installed if I need to manually install the driver.

Maybe windows 10 is not responsing properly? Or something else I'm not doing right?

EDIT: I had 32-bit pc with windows 10. It recognizes the device, however provided gadget serial driver doesn't work. Device don't start and putty of course don't connect. I tried alternative usb to serial drivers, but none worked...

EDIT2: I dug out old dusty win 7 home laptop, and yes was able to connect the device with putty BUT the instruction said to mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 and I get file not found. And I checked that, yes, dev-folder doesn't have mmcblk0p1 at all...

UPDATE & SOLUTION! Seems that windows10 comes with a ELMO GMAS-driver which connects the device. I just thougth to try and connected with Putty to COM3 (ELMO GMAS port), and voilá, I was in my device. I didn't need to install Gagdet drivers or anything. So it's even more easer with win10. I found a 500MB microSD from an old mobile phone and fixed all partitions via sd card (READER-partition (mmcblk2p8), Dictionary partition(mmcblk2p6) and mmcblk2p9 & mmcblk2p10 partitions). Reader- and dictionary-partitions had badblocks, so no need to wonder why ebooks jammed once in a while.

Last edited by Terhi; 12-17-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Terhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:41 AM   #2
Schussel
Schussel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Hi Terhi,

it seems, that I have the same problem with my old Sony PRS-T1. So I was glad to see, that there is a solution. But unfortunately I don't understand your way to solve the problem. So it would be nice, if you could explain step by step, what to do with Putty and what to do with the microSD.

Thanx and regards
Schussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:21 PM   #3
Sing Sing
Sing Sing doesn't litterSing Sing doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schussel View Post
Hi Terhi,

it seems, that I have the same problem with my old Sony PRS-T1. So I was glad to see, that there is a solution. But unfortunately I don't understand your way to solve the problem. So it would be nice, if you could explain step by step, what to do with Putty and what to do with the microSD.

Thanx and regards
Hi,

First follow these instructions to get shell access to the T1:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS...covery_Console

It has a link to a rescue image you can use: ruper-rescue.7z. I suggest you use that one and boot it off an sd-card, since it includes a version of e2fsck that already supports ext4.

The full instructions for checking and fixing partitions here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS...and_bad_blocks

But assuming you are using ruper-rescue, you can skip to the last part and just do:
Code:
# e2fsck -vc /dev/mmcblk2p9
# e2fsck -vc /dev/mmcblk2p10
# e2fsck -vc /dev/mmcblk2p6
Sing Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:34 AM   #4
Schussel

Smile

... thanxs very much for your answer !!!

I will try your suggestions soon, when the weather is going more and more worse.
First look in your links told me, that is not a quick solution !

Good to see, that is still some live here ;=)

Last edited by Schussel; 09-07-2018 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:56 AM   #5
Sing Sing

Hi,

It only take a few mins.

Here's link for rupor-rescue, I think the one in the wiki is dead:
https://projects.mobileread.com/read...scue/20121208/

Briefly, what you do is:

Unpack it onto an SD card, and put it into the T1.

Boot the T1 and hold the HOME + MENU buttons until the progress bar stops.

Plug the T1 into your computer, and connect to it with PuTTY.

Press return and you'll see a login prompt. The username is 'root', no password.

Then you'll see a '#' prompt and you can enter your e2fsck commands.

Enter 'reboot' when you're done and it'll reboot itself, and hopefully the dictionary will be less troublesome.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:52 PM   #6
Schussel

Hi Sing Sing,

I read the above mentioned topcis and your 'short way' carefully and I found another problem. My PRS-T1 obviously does not connect to my PC (Win10), so I used it with the SDCard to read books. I think, that this it not a problem with drivers on the PC, because it didn't work on other PCs as well (Win7, Win XP).

So I guess, I need a solution which works directly from SDCard. The reader is'nt rooted, because the 'rooting' disappeared with my prevoius tries to recover the correct firmware for rooting.

Any further ideas ?

Thanks so far ;=)
Old 09-12-2018, 04:46 AM   #7
Sing Sing

No USB hmm. Could the problem be the cable?

There are quite a lot of cables that only support charging, but not data. They come with things like headphones or lights.