Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-24-2015, 11:53 AM   #1
tehdan
tehdan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw1
Kindle PW screen rotation

I have a kindle pw version 1, which I've jailbroken and am using with kterm. I'd really like to get it into landscape orientation. However the rotation set seems to be ignored for all apps except the actual booklet reader.

The command I'm using is this -
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.winmgr orientationLock L

I've had a good poke around all the lipc events and properties, but I can't seem to get this to work. Has anyone managed to get this working?
tehdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:33 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Taking a quick peek at the launcher script for skipstone (by baf), I think you want:

Code:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.winmgr orientationLock L
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2015, 04:57 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the dev forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:14 AM   #4
tehdan

Thanks - but this is exactly what I posted *does not* work on the PW... Hoping there's another way to achieve rotation.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:27 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdan View Post
Thanks - but this is exactly what I posted *does not* work on the PW... Hoping there's another way to achieve rotation.
That may only be, because your trying to use it from inside of Kterm.
AND/OR
You are not the user named: 'root' inside of your Kterm application (there is an Amazon firmware update that will do that to you).

Try it from a regular command line prompt (ssh, telnet, or serial port) being sure that the command:
whoami
returns the name: root
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2015, 10:15 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
That woud be because of the example I carefully managed to... mess up. How amazingly awkward...

Allow me to rewind time a few days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Taking a quick peek at the launcher script for skipstone (by baf), I think you want:

Code:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.winmgr orientationLock R

Last edited by eschwartz; 07-29-2015 at 10:17 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:06 PM   #7
tehdan

So I've tried both L and R with that command as root. It doesn't work (from kterm or ssh) *unless* you're reading a book. As soon as you exit the book, to the home page / kterm / anything else, the screen reverts to U orientation. The property remains set if you read it with lipc-get-prop, its just seems to be ignored.

Looks like a lower-level hack might be required for the PW? Or does anyone have better behaviour on a different FW version (I'm on 5.3.5) ?