Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-10-2024, 08:58 AM   #31
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
They break the cardinal rule to keep it as simple as possible.
That rule doesn't exist; it was created for lazy men. Epubs must be epub3 with fallback code for epub2, so the users with a proper device can get the best reading experience. Look at these pictures:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2024-01-22-13-05-52.png
Views:	70
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	207473 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2024-01-22-13-06-04.png
Views:	75
Size:	558.8 KB
ID:	207474 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2024-01-22-13-06-08.png
Views:	73
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	207475

And now after increasing the font size:

Name:	Screenshot_2024-01-22-13-06-31.png
Views:	78
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	207476 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2024-01-22-13-06-34.png
Views:	83
Size:	546.1 KB
ID:	207479 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2024-01-22-13-06-56.png
Views:	75
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	207477

Name:	Screenshot_2024-01-22-13-06-59.png
Views:	84
Size:	393.7 KB
ID:	207478

Those pictures are from "Alice in wonderland" and belong to Kobo for Android. Try doing the same with basic css code; you won't be able; you'll have a lot of blank spaces here and there. The best reading experience can't be get with "KISS" code.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 09:05 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
That rule doesn't exist; it was created for lazy men. Epubs must be epub3 with fallback code for epub2, so the users with a proper device can get the best reading experience. Look at these pictures:

Attachment 207473 Attachment 207474 Attachment 207475

And now after increasing the font size:

Attachment 207476 Attachment 207479 Attachment 207477

Attachment 207478

Those pictures are from "Alice in wonderland" and belong to Kobo for Android. Try doing the same with basic css code; you won't be able; you'll have a lot of blank spaces here and there. The best reading experience can't be get with "KISS" code.
Sure there are some cases where you need more complex code to do something. But when you don't you keep the code simple. The eBook I mentioned and posted CSS from is simply formatted and does not need such complex code that StandardEbooks use. Also, you won't use more complex code where it's needed and not where it's not.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2024, 09:54 AM   #33
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
KISS as applied in the html page… don’t add all those extra tags when most of the time they are unneeded.

KISS as applied to the stylesheet… use the most efficient css to achieve your goal while providing fallback for the older/inadequate devices.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 12:05 PM   #34
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The eBook I mentioned and posted CSS from is simply formatted and does not need such complex code that StandardEbooks use. Also, you won't use more complex code where it's needed and not where it's not.
Yes, I can understand that, we are not going to kill a mosquito with a cannon. But even ebooks that are simply formatted, we can use advanced code with advantage. I give you an example, look at these pictures:

Name:	Screenshot_2024-04-10-12-21-27.png
Views:	77
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	207482

and after increasing the font-size:

Name:	Screenshot_2024-04-10-12-20-46.png
Views:	67
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	207483

Those pictures are taken from Kobo for Android. And they represent layouts very common. How do you code that in a simpler way? One line of text at top, one line at bottom and a perfect centered line (and the layout is retained no matter the font size). The simpler code is:

1) In the xhtml:
Code:
  <div class="block">
    <p>Line One</p>

<p>Line Two</p>

<p>Line Three</p>
  </div>
Simpler than that?

2) In the .css:
Code:
p {
   margin: 0;
}

.block {
   display: flex;
   flex-flow: column nowrap;
   justify-content: space-between;
   align-content: center;
   align-items: center;
   height: 99vh;
   border: 2px solid red;
}

.block p:nth-child(2n+1) {
   padding: 5% 0;
}

.block p:nth-child(2) {
   font-size: 2em;
   font-weight: bold;
}
With css2 properties you never can get the same perfect output. Even for simple layouts, you can use "advanced" (is not advanced at all) code to get optimal results.

Last edited by RbnJrg; 04-10-2024 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 12:14 PM   #35
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
...I was making the argument for pseudo-selectors (the point of this thread). You said that they required 'ridiculously convoluted code'... I was just showing how simple and unconvoluted pseudo-selectors are.
I agree with Turtle91 on the subject of pseudo-selectors. I much prefer publishers to use :first-letter and :first-line with the appropriate mixed-case text than forcing ALLCAPS text with messy <span>/<small> tags. The worst that can happen is that you just see undecorated text with upper- and lower-case text in all the right places.

I particularly dislike contrived code like this:
Code:
<p class="first"><span class="big">W</span><small>E WENT TO A</small> L<small>ED</small> Z<small>EPPELIN CONCERT IN</small> 1972.</p>
Quote:
Pseudo-selectors don't work in enough cases.
Define "enough cases". They work on all PocketBooks and all Kobos (kepub). I'm not sure about Kindles but if they, at least, work in KFX format books then it sounds like quite a high percentage of current eink devices can support them.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2024, 01:45 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
Yes, I can understand that, we are not going to kill a mosquito with a cannon. But even ebooks that are simply formatted, we can use advanced code with advantage. I give you an example, look at these pictures:

Attachment 207482

and after increasing the font-size:

Attachment 207483

Those pictures are taken from Kobo for Android. And they represent layouts very common. How do you code that in a simpler way? One line of text at top, one line at bottom and a perfect centered line (and the layout is retained no matter the font size). The simpler code is:

1) In the xhtml:
Code:
  <div class="block">
    <p>Line One</p>

<p>Line Two</p>

<p>Line Three</p>
  </div>
Simpler than that?

2) In the .css:
Code:
p {
}

.block {
   display: flex;
   flex-flow: column nowrap;
   justify-content: space-between;
   align-content: center;
   align-items: center;
   height: 99vh;
   border: 2px solid red;
}

.block p:nth-child(2n+1) {
   padding: 5% 0;
}

.block p:nth-child(2) {
   font-size: 2em;
   font-weight: bold;
}
With css2 properties you never can get the same perfect output. Even for simple layouts, you can use "advanced" (is not advanced at all) code to get optimal results.
It doesn't work correctly in Thorium Reader for Windows.
Old 04-10-2024, 03:46 PM   #37
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
It doesn't work correctly in Thorium Reader for Windows.
You must have made a mistake. It DOES work in Thorium:

Name:	Image1.png
Views:	36
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	207487

and also in ADE 4.x:

Name:	Image2.png
Views:	34
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	207488

It works everywhere that supports flex-box.

But the point is not that. The point is that one can employ "fancy" code for simple layouts, so users with a proper device can get the best reading experience, and since you also have included fallback code, users with old device will get a suboptimal output. With flex-box, you'll get all perfectly spaced, no need to calc margins, no need to worry about anything. And all always perfect no matter if the font-size is increased. As I said, you can't get that with only css2 properties (of course, you'll have to employ them because of the fallback code, but the result won't be so good for all of them with old devices).
Old 04-10-2024, 03:58 PM   #38
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For the most part, I will use the latest CSS supported by my devices for ebooks for my own use. After all, if I see any issues, working around them is a great learning experience and annoys no one other than me.

When I am working on ebooks for others which for the most part are intended to be published via KDP, I tend towards a simpler approach that will work on multiple devices without needing to get into the wonderful world of media queries and will not trigger errors during the conversion process. This at times has also been a learning experience since KDP's documentation and reality often do not have a one to one congruence.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 04:47 PM   #39
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For the most part, I will use the latest CSS supported by my devices for ebooks for my own use. After all, if I see any issues, working around them is a great learning experience and annoys no one other than me.

Quote:
When I am working on ebooks for others which for the most part are intended to be published via KDP, I tend towards a simpler approach that will work on multiple devices without needing to get into the wonderful world of media queries and will not trigger errors during the conversion process. This at times has also been a learning experience since KDP's documentation and reality often do not have a one to one congruence.
Amazon is another world KFX is a format that supports a very limitated subset of css3 properties. Even working with media queries things won't improve so much. For example, fragmentation can't be avoided in Kindle, so the reading experience will be not very different by using "complex" code. What I wrote is not applied for Kindle, only for epubs. I agree with you about what you do for ebooks to be published in KDP.
Old 04-11-2024, 05:36 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If I was creating an eBook for sale, I would test it on a Kobo in ePub and KePub. That way, I'd know what code that would need to be changed to work with ePub on a Kobo. Once that's done, I'm pretty much assured the eBook will work with most software to display ePub. It can be an ePub 3 with full accessibility and still work.
Old 04-12-2024, 12:46 AM   #41
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Unfortunately, most authors consider Amazon to be their most important market. Something about 90% of ebook sales whispers money in their ears. Sadly, being dedicated to eating and keeping a roof over their heads, filthy lucre attracts them faster than moths to a light.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 06:43 AM   #42
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Unfortunately, most authors consider Amazon to be their most important market. Something about 90% of ebook sales whispers money in their ears. Sadly, being dedicated to eating and keeping a roof over their heads, filthy lucre attracts them faster than moths to a light.
Absolutely more than 90% world wide for English and more than half of ebooks are read on phones, next is tablets, then eink Kindles.
The Alice example won't be good on a phone and on Amazon it would need to be either images each on their own line (to suit phones) and/or as Print Replica/PDF wrapped. Since it's for children and smallest read on paper and next up is kids' tablets I'd do an epub2 with images each on their own line that works on 100% or eink and all Kindle, Kobo, Nook, epub apps on phones AND a pdf on POD (paper) and offered as PDF/Print replica on tablet.

Maybe 99.9% or more of novels (not text books or children's books) have no benefit from Indesign, Vellum or handcrafted epub3. Some epub3 are simply convoluted alternatives with no mainstream publishing outlet for either PDF or apps.

The Alice book is totally untypical of novels for grown ups or even teenagers. Modern equivalent would be the "Wizard of Once" series and "How to Train your Dragon" series. I know kids that read those and have ereaders and tablets. They read stuff like that on paper. I agree replicatating those as a somewhat reflowable ebooks would use epub3. They have nothing that would read such an ebook (though probably something could be installed on the iPads or Fire tablet), but could manage PDF (or Kindle Print Replica based on PDF).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 09:52 AM   #43
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The Alice book is totally untypical of novels for grown ups or even teenagers.
I posted those screenshots as mere example that with basic code, some layouts can't be reproduced. More than that, even for some basic layouts (for example a page with a line at top, a line at middle and a line at bottom, as I have posted) one can employ css3 code with advantage to produce better, perfect outputs (of course, also one must include fallback code, so the users with modern devices can get the best reading experience and users with older devices will get what epub2 can offer).

By the way, "Alice" under epub3, looks great on phones; no matter if the user changes the font size, the complex layout of the ebook can be reproduced and retained (the screenshoots taken from Kobo for Android are a sample). Another thing is Kindle; there, with the KFX format the Alice layout can't be reproduced; all I wrote is regarding the epub world; with regards the Amazon world, I don't say any word.

Last edited by RbnJrg; 04-12-2024 at 01:44 PM.

Tags
epub, kepub, kobo, kobo sage, pseudo-elements