Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-19-2023, 12:23 PM   #1
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Nickelseries problem - showing Series under My Books/Series tab on Libra 2

Sorry, I solved what I'd done wrong!!!!

Hello
On my Libra 2 I installed Nickelseries (can't remember which version) to make my books show up under the My Books/Series tab on the device.
It worked fine. (Firmware 4.35.20400 patched plus Nickelclock) and Series are listed under that tab.

I am now setting up a new Libra 2 for my grandson and aim for it to work identically with mine.

Firmware, patches and nickelclock installed same as my original Libra 2 and worked fine.

Series is being sent by Calibre and shows up under the book details button that you click on to open the book:

e.g. The Abduction
Theodore Boon - 2
John Grisham

But the MyBooks/Series tab tells me You Have No Series Yet.

I have run Nickelseries V3 and nothing changed
I just ran Nickelseries V1 and it is still showing me You Have No Series Yet
The Kobo said it was updating each time, so it must have reacted somehow to the KoboRoot.tgz file.

Can anyone suggest what I might have missed or done wrong please and how to get Series showing under the tab?

Thank you

Edit:

I discovered by reading the instructions that you must put the books on AFTER installing Nickelseries and it doesn't work on those already on the Kobo.
So deleting from device and re-adding makes it work.
All sorted, so a mod can delete this [post, or leave it as a lesson to others not reading the instructions properly. !!

Last edited by Ned; 09-19-2023 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Solved!
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 02:02 AM   #2
xyclonei
Connoisseur
xyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Clara HD
If you would like to update series information post transferring of the books, you could try running seriesmeta.
xyclonei is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2023, 03:52 AM   #3
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyclonei View Post
If you would like to update series information post transferring of the books, you could try running seriesmeta.
Thank you
Old 09-20-2023, 02:42 PM   #4
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
NickelSeries and seriesmeta don't work unless you edit every book you buy with Calibre, right? If the book metadata coming from the Kobo store doesn't include the necessary series information by default, then how does the series tab work for people who sync their books directly from Kobo?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 03:41 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
NickelSeries and seriesmeta don't work unless you edit every book you buy with Calibre, right? If the book metadata coming from the Kobo store doesn't include the necessary series information by default, then how does the series tab work for people who sync their books directly from Kobo?
Books purchased from Kobo and synced normally get the series information from Kobo if the series information is present on Kobo. In the few cases where it is not included, I can generate a dummy book in calibre matching title and author, update it's metadata and then update the metadata on my ereader. This does require that you have Update purchased books checked in the KoboTouch/KoboTouchExtended driver on the Metadata, on device & advanced tab.

You can take a look at the content.opf file for ePub 3 ebooks and see if the following lines are there:

Code:
<meta property="belongs-to-collection" id="id-6">Angels and Demons</meta>
<meta refines="#id-6" property="collection-type">series</meta>
<meta refines="#id-6" property="group-position">3</meta>
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2023, 05:45 PM   #6
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, so I guess it depends on the book and whether the publisher bothered to add series information to the OPF metadata. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2023, 06:38 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Ah, so I guess it depends on the book and whether the publisher bothered to add series information to the OPF metadata. Thanks.
Pretty much yes. Some ebooks have good layout, metadata, etc. while others seem to have been created by an interning student who has never read an ebook much less created one.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 07:27 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Monkeys could create eBooks better then the Indian companies the publishers outsource to,
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 07:42 PM   #9
Aleron Ives
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
others seem to have been created by an interning student who has never read an ebook much less created one.
Yes, I've encounted such a book before and undoubtedly will again.
Old 09-21-2023, 04:13 AM   #10
Ned
Ebook reader

Yes I add my own series information in Calibre and sent to Kobo from there.
Old 09-23-2023, 07:32 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Monkeys could create eBooks better then the Indian companies the publishers outsource to,
Jon: Please don't kiss and tell. (I thought we were more important than that!)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A Big Kiss for Jon.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	203930  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote