Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-18-2022, 05:50 PM   #1
doodoodood
doodoodood began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question ereader that can connect to local network only?

Hi, I wanted to know if someone could recommend an ereader that fulfills that specific requirement.

I currently own a kindle PW3 and have been using it in airplane mode for around 4 years, which has been good for privacy, as I don't want amazon to collect data on whatever the heck I'm reading.

This has worked well enough for sideloading books using calibre, but I feel like sideloading RSS feeds is just not as convinient, and I would like to be able to set up a RSS (maybe also wallabag) server in a raspberry. My problem is that when I try to block internet access to the kindle in my router settings, it causes the kindle to not accept the wifi network.

I tried to find an alternative ereader here, but all I know so far is that Kobo has a similar restriction, refusing to connect if there is no internet access, and other posts ask for ereaders without wifi at all, which is not what I want.

Does pocketbook have the same restriction? Is onyx my only choice?

For reference, my kindle got jailbreak this week and I installed the BBB firewall, but I'm not sure if it is actually blocking ALL amazon tracking, as it seems like it can still access the kindle store, if anyone can confirm it works, or guide me on how to only allow it access to my local network, it would be awesome too.

Thanks for reading, hoping that anyone can help
doodoodood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:02 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
On the Kobo at least, I believe the connectivity test can be overridden. See this post for info

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I use my with phone occasionally with no real problems. It can take a couple of tries, but I think that is more to do with how well the phone is connecting.

A common reason for no connection is that the device attempts to connect to a URL during the connection set-up. If this fails, the connection is dropped. The URL used depends on the firmware. Until fairly recently, the URL was http://www.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt. Kobo is now using http://www.kobo.com/buildinfo.xml.

If you find that is the problem, firmware 4.9.11311 has a hidden option to not do these checks. Adding the following to the KoboReader.conf file should fix this.

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
IgnoreCaptivePortal=true
If you already have the FeatureSettings section, just add the other line after it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 07:16 PM   #3
doodoodood
doodoodood began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
On the Kobo at least, I believe the connectivity test can be overridden. See this post for info
Thank you Peter! I followed the thread you quoted and they confirmed that the kobo check can be skipped.

In case anyone else has a similar doubt in the future, I also tried to find information about Pocketbook but what I found instead made me even happier: Turns out I don't even need to change my ereader, the Kindle check can be skipped too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
As Nate's article links to, you can have your Arduino serve the page your Kindle is expecting, but there is a simpler way... and I promise, no jailbreak is required.

Put a plain text file called "WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE" in the root of the userstore.
(That is, "/mnt/us/WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE" in the device's filesystem, but "K:\WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE" when plugged into a Windows PC, or "/media/Kindle/WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE" when plugged into a linux PC.)

There cannot be a .txt extension! (Windows tried to create one automatically, and may hide extensions from you, depending on your settings.)

Now, reboot your Kindle.

What this does: ordinarily, the Kindle probes a wifi-stub page on Amazon's servers, and if it doesn't receive the right response, it assumes the WiFi network is locked with a captive portal. It pops up the message that additional authentication may be required.
This file flag disables that check.
doodoodood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, offline, privacy