Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
Stargehzer
Stargehzer began at the beginning.

Device: iPod (using Stanza)
Will I ever figure this all out?

I've been playing with PC's for over 15 years and I'm quite proficient at using PC's, but in the last couple of years I've been stumped by a few programs.
I bought an iPod Touch, to use as a handy computer in my pocket. As I've discovered different apps I've found it very useful. The catch is.... iTunes. I hate it. I don't understand it. Such is life. Sometimes you have to swallow the bad, to get the good.
Some time ago I began using the iTouch as an eReader using the app, Stanza. Love Stanza. That last upgrade to it, that allowed it to work on OS.5 machines, but ended it's ability to work on earlier operating systems almost got me.. fortunately I was able to remove the new update, & reinstall an old backed up copy of the previous version. So for now, I get to continue to use Stanza. Perhaps there is something just as good out there.. I really haven't looked much, but the few forums I've been on all suggest that Stanza is/was the best (for the apple devices anyway).
Because I hate iTunes and it seems to hate me, in the past I've added new ebooks to my iTouch by emailing them to myself, then loading into Stanza when I open the attachment.
I recently (6 months ago?) found Calibre and started working with it on a desktop computer. And that is what has brought me to Mobile Read. I'm finding there are things I think it should do, but I can't figure out how to do them, and there are things it does do that I wish it wouldn't.
I think I'm finding the way Calibre works is 1/2 way between the way iTunes works, and Windows software works. I find iTunes wants to do everything for you, whether you like it or not, and Windows makes you do it all on your own (which I've grown to prefer).
So that's why I'm here...
My thanks to the site owner & mods who keep places like this available for those of us that need help, or wish to help others. You don't get pats on the back often enough.
Stargehzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Welcome to the boards, Stargehzer
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
Stargehzer
Stargehzer began at the beginning.

Device: iPod (using Stanza)
Thank you both...
Imogen, the beautiful face in your avatar prompted me to google you....
Stargehzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:21 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Hello and welcome to MobileRead.

Look around the site and have fun!

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert