Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-30-2022, 05:17 PM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I think it's definitely a package problem. It crashes immediately for me -- with almost no output. But when I build Sigil myself (using the exact same system Qt5 version and system glibc), it runs fine.

I use the bundled subprojects that we include in Sigil's source (prce2, minzip, etc) when building, so I guess it could technically be one of those system libraries that their package de-bundles but I doubt it.

New Sigil maintainer over there, so I'll let their in-house bug system protocols play out a bit.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 05:19 PM   #32
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Many thanks Kevin, Doitsy and DiapDealer. I really don't know what is the cause of the issue with the official package from Arch; I tried with QTWEBENGINE_DISABLE_SANDBOX=1 and QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS="--no-sandbox" without success. So I built Sigil with the very clear instructions by DiapDealer and now I have a fully functional Sigil 1.9.10 Thank you very much again!
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2022, 06:43 AM   #33
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
I can't run Sigil 1.9.10 under Arch Linux; ¿anyone else with the same issue here? (Sigil downloaded from the official repository).
Same. I had a "segmentation fault". I used the archive to reinstall 1.9.2. and, for the time being, blocked any pacman update.

I shall try again later.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:51 AM   #34
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
FWIW, if you search the gcc.gnu.org bugzilla for "lto" (link time optimizer -flto) you will see a large number of freshly reported lto gcc bugs this month alone and not counting the ones in April or earlier.

Not sure why they add that compiler switch for Sigil, but given it works with lto with Qt6 but not with Qt5, then it is something in Qt5 that probably triggers the gcc bug. So creating a cut-down test case will be a real problem.

Perhaps just dropping the lto switch from the Sigil builds and building with Qt5 might be the safest path forward for Arch. Or using clang?

That said, why is Arch the only one seeing this if the bug is in the latest gcc? Perhaps other distributions actually have the same issue. Does anyone know?

Last edited by KevinH; 05-31-2022 at 10:00 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:25 AM   #35
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
FWIW, if you search the gcc.gnu.org bugzilla for "lto" (link time optimizer -flto) you will see a large number of freshly reported lto gcc bugs this month alone and not counting the ones in April or earlier.
One of the Arch maintainers mentioned that same thing in the bug report.

Quote:
Not sure why they add that compiler switch for Sigil, but given it works with lto with Qt6 but not with Qt5, then it is something in Qt5 that probably triggers the gcc bug.
I think the switch -flto switch may just be a standard for their packaging. They don't explicitly set it for Sigil, but they always add the following to their cmake config for Sigil:

Code:
-DCMAKE_C_FLAGS:STRING="$CFLAGS" \
-DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING="$CXXFLAGS" \
Quote:
Perhaps just dropping the lto switch from the Sigil builds and building with Qt5 might be the safest path forward for Arch. Or using clang?
I mentioned (in the bug report) that I'm not opposed to them moving to Qt6 for their packages. It has seemed fairly stable for a while now. I've built Sigil with clang on Linux myself, but I've not done a lot of testing. But if it seems sufficient, I'm not opposed to that either. I just don't want to increase the work that debugging issues on Sigil might entail by having packages out there built with clang, gcc, AND qt5 vs qt6.

Quote:
That said, why is Arch the only one seeing this if the bug is in the latest gcc? Perhaps other distributions actually have the same issue. Does anyone know?
Not sure. Perhaps not that many are using the latest version of gcc (or not many are requiring -flto be used to build packages)?

EDIT: and yes from a comment over there, it looks like it's the default to append LTOFLAGS to CXXFLAGS when package building. https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/7487...5&string=sigil

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-31-2022 at 10:28 AM.
Advert
Old 06-03-2022, 06:45 AM   #36
rebski
rebski began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ 7
I am having instant crashing problems with the update to v1.9.10 on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, prior to that all was fine. Just wondering if I am alone? Not sure what to do except wait, no doubt it will get fixed in due course.

Last edited by rebski; 06-03-2022 at 07:01 AM.
rebski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:31 AM   #37
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebski View Post
I am having instant crashing problems with the update to v1.9.10 on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, prior to that all was fine. Just wondering if I am alone? Not sure what to do except wait, no doubt it will get fixed in due course.
Have you tried building your own? That appears to work for Arch users.
Old 06-03-2022, 11:45 AM   #38
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In Windows, I use a light theme, but I have Sigil with the dark theme by setting the enviroment variable SIGIL_USES_DARK_MODE to 1. And it works fine.

In Linux, I also have a light theme and I wanted to put Sigil in "dark mode" by writting in the file /etc/enviroments SIGIL_USES_DARK_MODE=1 but with no result. I also tryed writting in /etc/profile but, no case, Sigil refuses to enter in "dark mode". What am I doing wrong? Many thanks in advance.
Old 06-03-2022, 12:15 PM   #39
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
@RbnJrg: Try FORCE_SIGIL_DARKMODE_PALETTE
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 12:36 PM   #40
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Yes. FORCE_SIGIL_DARKMODE_PALETTE=1 should give Sigil the same dark theme as Windows on Linux.

You can also use kvantum and/or qt6ct (or qt5ct if Sigil is built using Qt5) to choose from several different available themes (light or dark).

The idea is to first defer to system/desktop theming on Linux, but allow users to force Sigil to use its inherent dark theme if that's what they wish.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-03-2022 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-03-2022, 01:11 PM   #41
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
@RbnJrg: Try FORCE_SIGIL_DARKMODE_PALETTE
Many thanks Becky! FORCE_SIGIL_DARKMODE_PALETTE did the trick

But now I have another issue. I wanted to modify slighly some colors of the dark theme, and changes under Edit/Preferences.../Appareance->CodeView->Item Colors: Custom Color... doesn't work. On Windows I don't have any problem but in Linux seems not to work. Can you (or Diap or Kevin) tell me how to fix that? Thanks.
Old 06-03-2022, 01:16 PM   #42
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

This is the first I've heard of the CodeView custom colors preferences not working under Linux. I'll have to look into it this weekend sometime.

It's potentially something that simply fell through the cracks of the effort to support Qt6 (the version I think you're using).
Old 06-03-2022, 01:30 PM   #43
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
This is the first I've heard of the CodeView custom colors preferences not working under Linux. I'll have to look into it this weekend sometime.

It's potentially something that simply fell through the cracks of the effort to support Qt6 (the version I think you're using).
Forget what I wrote. After changing the font for code view (now I use Liberation Mono) all worked fine. With the previous font (it was Courier New) CodeView custom colors didn't work.
Old 06-03-2022, 01:30 PM   #44
KevinH
Sigil Developer

And in those CV colour preferences settings only impact the current theme (dark or light) and are actually two different sets behind the scenes. If Sigil is in dark mode when launched those colour settings will only impact dark mode. If Sigil is in Light mode when launched, those setting will only impact light mode.

So perhaps forcing dark mode on Linux is not being detected as dark mode and so those CV colour setting changes have no impact.

Just a guess...
Old 06-03-2022, 02:05 PM   #45
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'll take a peek. But I'm pretty sure the dark theme detection was working correctly last time I looked--especially with FORCE_SIGIL_DARKMODE_PALETTE. Some of the other "dark" system themes... maybe, but not the inherent one we created for Sigil. But all bets are off with Qt6. I don't know that I ever even tried to customize CodeView colors using Qt6.

But it sounds as if he got something working there after all.