Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2016, 08:09 AM   #16
Geenween
Enthusiast
Geenween began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Energy reader Pro+
I absolutely love my Glo (non HD), the text is very crisp to me: I always use it with the front-light low (1-5%) and Malabar as the main font and I'm pretty satisfied.

Of course if you are used to a H2O it may still be a noticeable downgrade: definition-wise the difference is evident, I compared the two screens in the stores when the H2O was launched and I was debating if upgrading my reader.

In the end however I decided to wait, as my Glo was still in mint condition and I wasn't disappointed with it. Still I'm not sure if I would go the other way around if I had an H2O, unless I had no other options and I wanted a reader really quick. If I was you I'd look for a good offer on a Glo HD or even on the 2nd Edition Aura (the 1st one has a worse screen than the basic Glo IMHO) first.

Last edited by Geenween; 10-09-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Geenween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:00 PM   #17
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
Thanks guys. I finally got a Kobo Glo. It is on the way sending to me.

Just wanna ask one more thing: What should I check the device when it is arrived? I know it is not easy to tell how good the battery is. Besides the battery, what else should I pay attention to?

How about its speed? Is it very slow comparing to H2O?

Thx again.

Last edited by 344a; 10-09-2016 at 01:14 PM.
344a is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2016, 02:02 PM   #18
BobC
Fanatic
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
With any second-hand device, as mentioned above, the battery is the most important component (assuming the screen isn't smashed). The problem, though, is that age is not a good indicator of condition. With charge/discharge abuse a one year old device may deliver shorter battery life than a well-cared-for four year old one.

I have a four-year old Glo which still performs well. I bought a Glo HD last month when they were becoming scarce and alternate my reading between the two.

I do wish modern producers would follow the model of the BeBook 1 (Hanlin) which used a cellphone battery that the user could swap using the screwdriver supplied with the reader.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:12 PM   #19
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
With any second-hand device, as mentioned above, the battery is the most important component (assuming the screen isn't smashed). The problem, though, is that age is not a good indicator of condition. With charge/discharge abuse a one year old device may deliver shorter battery life than a well-cared-for four year old one.

I have a four-year old Glo which still performs well. I bought a Glo HD last month when they were becoming scarce and alternate my reading between the two.

I do wish modern producers would follow the model of the BeBook 1 (Hanlin) which used a cellphone battery that the user could swap using the screwdriver supplied with the reader.

BobC
Thx Bob.
How many hours of reading can you do after the Glo is fully charged?
344a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #20
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 344a View Post
Thx Bob.
How many hours of reading can you do after the Glo is fully charged?
That really depends on the frontlight level.

I tended to leave my frontlight on on the lowest level, which allowed me to read in darkness, low light and normal light without issues; and I only had to charge about once every two or three weeks. I estimate I read about an hour a day.

It also depends (a bit) on whether you leave wifi on (I didn't, so no automatic syncing) and whether you turn the device off when you don't use it (I can't remember if I did, but I remember that there was a difference between just allowing the device to go to sleep, or having it turn off completely after a time)

So, there's no definite answer to your question but you surely won't have to charge too often.

EDIT: I don't use the Glo anymore, I'm on my 3rd Aura after a bunch of broken screens so I can't give any more information.

Last edited by Dryhte; 10-10-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2016, 09:36 AM   #21
tempest@de
Addict
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Hanlin V3, kindle
I have a 4 year old glo and I use it every day, I never had any complaints about it.

I always have the wifi off and read every day between 2 to 3 h, being the 1st hour with the light on around 20% brightness and my battery lasts around 3 weeks, in the beginning it lasted more than a month.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:50 PM   #22
presko
presko began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
I am happy with my glo also.
Battery is good but have some issues with the sleepcover.
presko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:53 PM   #23
crimsonsnow
Enthusiast
crimsonsnow began at the beginning.

Device: Yotaphone 2, Kobo Aura, FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I, too, would choose the original Aura over the Glo.

As a previous Glo owner (and a current Aura owner), I triple these comments. The no-bezel in Aura makes it classier-looking, not-to-mention less dust-trap. I also prefer the back cover. Basically both are very nice if you don't want fancier features of newer Kobo readers (mostly screen/ waterproofing) and want an e-book reader with front light. Plus they have expandable memory.

Plus side of Glo for me: the memory card inside (not the expandable memory), you can pop a better memory card, or replace them when you brick your Glo.

Edit: You get a Glo! If you aren't afraid to open it, you can copy the image in the memory card. In case anything bad happening in the future, you can just pop another memory card and voila.

Last edited by crimsonsnow; 10-28-2016 at 04:56 PM.
crimsonsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:35 PM   #24
sb1370
sb1370 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Won't you miss bigger screen of H2O?
sb1370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:33 AM   #25
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I'm still using my Kobo Glo. It was replaced in early(Jan-Feb) 2014 because the LED lighting conked out on the tail end of the warranty period, but the replacement is still going strong. I can't say whether the replacement was new or not, but it did look brand spanking new when it arrived.

I've not done a long term controlled battery life test since shortly after the original unit was purchased, but I think the battery is still in pretty good condition. I usually charge when it's between 50-25% to avoid deep discharging, however it has tanked out a couple of times when I haven't been reading for a while and left it in sleep mode rather than powering it down. I usually use the light on about 30% as that seems to be the best compromise between brightness lightening the background to provide contrast without being too bright for the room lighting under which I most likely read. It's a good bit less bright, and certainly nowhere as white as the Tablet/PC screen I usually have going at the same time or leave in sleep mode if I'm really just reading. I tend most often to read while watching television, more reading while listening and taking a break to watch only when things get interesting. Keeps me on my toes and the tablet PC is there in case I want to look up a reference from either activity or need to research some other thought that comes fluttering by whilest so engaged.

I think the Glo still looks decent, especially with heavier fonts, but I haven't played with any of the newer higher resolution e-ink readers -although I do use a tablet with a 12" screen @ 2160x1440 pretty much every day and still find the Glo better for reading purposes, though perhaps not for PDFs or old comics...

All that said, I had occasion to pinhole reset my Glo tonight as it was locked up. That must be the second or maybe third time since the original unit was first purchased, a pretty decent record I'd say for something four years along, less than one reset a year!
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote