Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many ebooks have you read from cover to cover?
10 or less 2 1.04%
11 to 25 14 7.25%
26 to 50 13 6.74%
51 to 100 15 7.77%
101 or more 149 77.20%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #31
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
A percentage make more sense for me.
I abandon a few <2% titles as not meeting my tastes. (I put a No in the read column in Calibre. blank is unread.)
Another small percentage take a loooooong time to finish , but I do reach the last page flip
I use Rating for that. If it's unrated then it's unread. If I abandon it then I rate it a 1.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #32
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
I use Rating for that. If it's unrated then it's unread. If I abandon it then I rate it a 1.
That's what I do too.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #33
Marbles
Zealot
Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KoboTouch & Kobo Vox iPad2
over 150 a year
Marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #34
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Been reading ebooks since late 2008. About 800 since then. I guess average around 150 a year. Those are all regular sized to big books. I don't read shorts and only a handful of novellas.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:19 AM   #35
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
EDIT: I meant to say per year. Sorry
I answered based on the poll question before I read this. I've definitely read more than 101 ebooks cover to cover in my lifetime so I answered "101 or more", but if I had answered per year it would've been either "11 to 25" or "26 to 50" depending on the year. My vote skewed the results to be even more lop-sided when I should've been supporting my compatriots in the minority!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #36
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Most likely 100 or more. I have been e-reading for a few years now.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #37
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
That would be a big "yes".

Your experience is about right; there have been several published reports that found that something like 25-30% of the population readily admit they do not read even a single book a year (the actual number is probably higher) and about 50% read but a handful of books a year and those mostly high profile bestsellers.
People like us that read/buy at least a handful of books a month are a minority of the population but are the primary source of buyers for non-bestseller titles. We are also the people who can easily justify the upfront cost of an ebook reader and thus were early adopters of ebooks. That has had a lot of economic ramifications for publishing that are still unfolding.
I have to agree with fjtorres. In my personal experience since I joined this forum in June of 200, at which point I already had a reader I would say conservatively that I have read in excess of 100 books a year.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:28 PM   #38
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I have kept an annual total of books read, and that ranges from 200-500 a year since I started reading ebooks in late 2009, and most of those were ebooks. So I calculate that I have read about 1000 ebooks over that time, more or less. My calibre library (where I do check off read books) roughly supports this figure.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #39
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
I only read ebooks, and will always finish waht I start/ I seem to be a steady 100 books a year.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #40
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
In a year, over 2011, 2012 and this year the average is about 16 eBooks. The books I want to read are just too expensive and the paper is so readily available at the library that my reading habits haven't changed much yet. Over the same period, the average number of books I've read is about 65. So I'm reading about 20% of my books off of paper.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #41
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
Because most people I know don't read books for pleasure anymore. They may read here and there but only because it is required for their jobs or their schools and none of them read from cover to cover. I am glad that most people here read more than 100 per year but are we the minority?
Yes, I think readers are in the minority. It's not interactive, it requires a long attention span, and good imagination. Many people I know are hyper-interactive, have an attention span that can just take in one Twitter message, and can't imagine how a scene will look if they don't have pictures or a movie to show them.

Those people are not readers.

My sister's boyfriend is a great LotR and Harry Potter fan... He didn't even know these movies are based on books...
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #42
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Yes, I think readers are in the minority. It's not interactive, it requires a long attention span, and good imagination. Many people I know are hyper-interactive, have an attention span that can just take in one Twitter message, and can't imagine how a scene will look if they don't have pictures or a movie to show them.

Those people are not readers.

My sister's boyfriend is a great LotR and Harry Potter fan... He didn't even know these movies are based on books...
I am just the opposite. I rarely go out of my way to watch a movie unless it is based on books.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #43
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I'm not sure I understand the question. Doesn't everyone read books to cover to cover? How many people go around only reading half a book?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:08 AM   #44
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I have read at the same rate most of my life. The difference now is I read all ebooks rather than hardback or paper. The big change is now I don't have to dig through stacks and stacks of books when I want to read a specific book. I have a bit over 2000 ebooks and have read all but a handful cover to cover. I would expect that many if not most on this forum read 100+ per year.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:59 AM   #45
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Over 101. 99.9% of all the ebooks I've read I've read everything. Sometimes I do r read the preface but I always read every chapter including the prologue and the epilogue if present.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote