Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-04-2009, 07:07 AM   #1
pwjone1
Bookie
pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Kindle 3 Large Screen out Wednesday?

Various articles out on the web seem to be pointing to an introduction, probably a large-screen Kindle, at a press conference on Wednesday:

New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/04/te...ref=technology

(who's apparently part of the introduction)

http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/2009...mod=ATD_sphere

gives some more details. If it's at Pace University, then it might be the college reader, 9.7" screen, that's been rumored for some time. E-ink was supposed to begin shipping those in April.

Last edited by pwjone1; 05-04-2009 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Clarified Pace University
pwjone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I guess we'll have to wait and see.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwjone1 View Post
If it's at Pace University, then it might be the college reader, 9.7" screen, that's been rumored for some time. E-ink was supposed to begin shipping those in April.
Yeah, like the library announcement was one for better library usage (only since the new Kindle has Amazon cared about stopping the scripts that allowed library usage and locked it down to be LESS customizable, which goes against trends in electronics).

Pace U. is a former site of the New York Times, isn't it? Sounds more like it may be a newspaper tie-in (which they'll want to bring out before the competition from Apple and Plastic Logic).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
giedre
Connoisseur
giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony 500,505, Kindle, 1150
I have just read this and am so excited to see what Wednesday will bring! Sheesh, I believe I've turned into an Amazon fan girl!
giedre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
If they announce it I am going to preorder one. Initailly I was not interested since I value portability but now that I have the kindle app on my iPhone I dont need to carry my Kindle every where I go.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
uhhhh maybe it's just me, but that 2nd link was 7 feb and was for the Kindle 2
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:13 PM   #7
pwjone1
Bookie
pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
uhhhh maybe it's just me, but that 2nd link was 7 feb and was for the Kindle 2
My fault, followed a link of the article, then pasted the too link. Correct link should be:

http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/2009...uts-wednesday/

This explains that Pace is Pace University, in a little more detail, giving more context to the text book operation.

There's subsequently an article out in the Wall Street Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124146996831184563.html

(now, keep in mind, WSJ and NYT are in a bit of a wrestling death match at the moment, so this gives more emphasis to the the text-book aspect, so the NYT newspaper aspect is pushed to the end, a newspaper way of saying "please don't read this".)

Since the 9.7" size leaked out in the source code, that seems likely.

Amazon has obviously lined up content for the Kindle 3, text book publishers, NYT, I'm guessing a lot of the other newspapers, also. If text books is critical to them, they need to announce now, so that the books are converted to the new format, come fall. Defeats the purpose, if you cannot get the books to put on the thing, come the semester (student substitute for the "Dog eat my homework" of "eBook is not available yet" will probably have as much traction with the professors). Does say that it has a full out web browser. If it really does 9.7" and PDFs, then it will probably gobble up the market. I would have killed for one of these things back in college. But we'll just have to wait and see what Amazon does actually announce.

Paul Jones
Old 05-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #8
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

ahhhh to be a student again!
Old 05-04-2009, 06:22 PM   #9
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Quote:
ahhhh to be a student again!
Wanna change?
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:23 PM   #10
pwjone1
Bookie

Another interesting point of view:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/05/kindle-vs-apple/

Says in essence that the new Apple Tablet arrives, it will kill the Kindle 3.

Well, it's a point of view, and they may be right. The advantage is obviously color and if you want it, video. But the trade-off is power, at least until LCDs progress a bit more. I kind of suspect that there's a trip point, somewhere out at 12 hours and 1 pound. If Apple can manage to go longer, or weight less, then the Kindle 3 might legitimately be in trouble. Not sure that's really possible, current technology. I suspect people declaring the death of eBooks with e-Ink are not really readers.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #11
pwjone1
Bookie

Another article, out on WSJ:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124139557124881817.html

emphasizing competition to the Kindle 3. Funny how they publish that as all the Kindle pre-announce occurs. Like I said, a bit of a death match going on there. Anyway, interesting reading. Gives a pretty good summary of the (mostly potential or upcoming) competition to the Amazon Kindle.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #12
krisk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
Wanna change?
actually I wouldn't mind at all!

I wonder if the kindle3 will be able to hold the kindle 1/2 content if you happen to own all of them!?
Old 05-04-2009, 07:55 PM   #13
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Quote:
actually I wouldn't mind at all!
Its 2AM in the morning and I am still writing on my study thesis - sure bout the change?
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #14
Zoot
Connoisseur
Zoot began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
I think it will be most interesting to see what their pricing model looks like. If it's a $500 device then I wonder if there's a general market for it. But if they'll give you one for $200 and a 1-year NYT/WSJ subscription then that would be an easy decision.

I also think there's less money in the newspaper application at that screen size than there is in the textbook market where publishers drool over the idea of DRM-infested textbooks that can't be sold as used at the end of the semester (and which may even expire causing you to lose access to them after you graduate unless you pay an additional large fee). A good user interface with searchable textbooks and a good note-taking mechanism might make the trade-off worthwhile though.

Of course I'm currently reading an 8 pound textbook that is 11 x 8.9 x 2.3 inches in size that unfortunately would, I think, become pretty painful to read when scaled down to a 9.7" screen and would be much less valuable without the thousand or so color illustrations.

I worry that this coming generation of devices will still be too small (and low-res / B&W) to capture the newspaper or serious magazine market yet too large (and expensive) for general book reading, etc.

Z.
Zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #15
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
At that screen size PDF's would display perfectly. Which would give students access to tens of thousands of electronic journal articles (almost all Journals provide full text in PDF, a few in HTML). I wish the experiment was going on at the University I work at. The students there could easily afford it.

Normally I would be all over this and order one on launch, but my son starts college this fall in NYC and I have started counting pennies. The funny thing is he was also accepted at St. John's University in NYC and would have received a "free" laptop as part of his tuition. I guess at some universities a free K3 (or it's equivalent) will be used as a recruitment tool.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote