Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-10-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
In Defense of English

I keep hearing and seeing--even here on Mobileread--a terrible travesty against English. At the risk of being flamed I'm posting to ask that it stop.

English is a flexible language with a very large vocabulary but it does not include the word "nother." If you need to use the word "another" please use it correctly. "Another" is a contraction of two words: "an" and "other." For example, you can write: "That is another whole story." You can even write: "That is a whole other story." But when you write or say: "That is a whole nother story," you torture the syntax of the language.

Please, everyone, unless you're Dick Cheney or somebody, please do not use that construction.

Thank you for your kind attention.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
That just ain't gonna fly 'round here. This here's the Llounge!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
hahaha!!!! I deal with this at work all the time. I "make" dial tone for an Army Installation, and also keep all of the cable records and so on. I just got here a few weeks ago and there is a LOT of piled up record keeping. A few of the major cables are in very bad shape making it difficult to make new line installations (we are working on the fix!). I have been getting a lot of these old work orders back in the "hold" category with the reason; (and they ACTUALLY write this way!) "Building dont got no free good pears."

grrrrrrroan!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
It's defence, you Americans and your weird spellings. While I'm at it, stop taking all the U's out of the language! And you kids, get of my lawn! Stop playing ball games around here! Keep off the grass!
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

C'mon, pronounce the U's. I dubble-dare ya!
(runs and stomps on grass, then runs back across the street)
Advert
Old 04-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
I thought English always is a travesty. It continually changes and evolves. That allows old codgers to complain that the youngsters don't know how to speak, or spell, or punctuate, or write, ....

After all, we don't have a Académie française, thankfully.

That said, if we wanted a vent and rant, I'd choose its and it's.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
C'mon, pronounce the U's. I dubble-dare ya!
(runs and stomps on grass, then runs back across the street)

I'm from the North of England, we have trouble making anybody understand us Especially those from that there London.

(Hey, I just watered that lawn. That's it, I'm taking your football. You can have it back when you grow up )
Old 04-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!

OK, if anything bugs me, I have to agree it's people mistaking its for it's. But I blame teachers. We are taught very clearly at a young age that anything plural ends in 's. Right?
Old 04-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
It's defence, you Americans and your weird spellings. While I'm at it, stop taking all the U's out of the language! And you kids, get of my lawn! Stop playing ball games around here! Keep off the grass!
Just think of it as a little editing with our big red correction pencil! When at first you don't succeed. . .!

Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Just think of it as a little editing with our big red correction pencil! When at first you don't succeed. . .!

Kaz
You're making the Queen sad when you leave out the U's

She's....watching you!
Old 04-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!

Kaz, if we pool our lunch money, do we have enough to buy a 12-pack of rolls and TP MopeJoe's front yard?

Hey Youz Guyz! Are there enough weird unnecessary letters, u's, and archaic gh-es in enough for ya?
Old 04-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #12
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Kaz, if we pool our lunch money, do we have enough to buy a 12-pack of rolls and TP MopeJoe's front yard?

Hey Youz Guyz! Are there enough weird unnecessary letters, u's, and archaic gh-es in enough for ya?

We'd prefer at least ten times as many U's, and our Queen would like to have every word feature a mandatory letter U.

Goud Sauve Ouur Graciouus Queeun!
Old 04-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #13
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
OK, if anything bugs me, I have to agree it's people mistaking its for it's. But I blame teachers. We are taught very clearly at a young age that anything plural ends in 's. Right?
Wrong! We teachers very clearly explain the proper usage, even as far back as second grade. Students don't think they have to learn the basics of grammar because it's just easier for them to rely on word processors. If the word processor doesn't correct it, then it isn't wrong! I can't tell you how many I times I heard, "But, MS Word said it was a good sentence!"
Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #14
DixieGal
Hi There!

Eveun sou, Iu stiull luv theu Queeun. Sheu's myu favououourite fictiounal charactur.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:42 PM   #15
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Eveun sou, Iu stiull luv theu Queeun. Sheu's myu favououourite fictiounal charactur.
Fictionaul? Houw daure youu? Sheu's au goublin iuf anyuthing!