Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-06-2019, 10:18 PM   #31
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
Ok, then it's not just me. There may be a bug in the Kobo Forma fetch. It only fetches the latest comment, and skips the others.
As a rule, the Kobo devices all work the same. The differences are usually only related to the differences in hardware - buttons, resolution, light etc. Kobo sometimes restricts a function to a new device for a while, but, the basics are the same. The annotation storage is the same for all devices and hasn't change for a while.

I just tested now. I'm at work and my calibre library only has a few books for some test. When I fetched the annotations, it found five books that are on the device with annotations and are in my current library. It appears to have gotten all the annotations. One book had only one annotation (and of course, that was the first one I looked at), but the others have several. Comparing what was fetched with the device, it got all of the annotations.

The Annotations Import dialog shows the number of annotations found for each book. Was this 1 for all? Did you look at the preview? Were the annotations there?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:24 PM   #32
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As a rule, the Kobo devices all work the same. The differences are usually only related to the differences in hardware - buttons, resolution, light etc. Kobo sometimes restricts a function to a new device for a while, but, the basics are the same. The annotation storage is the same for all devices and hasn't change for a while.

I just tested now. I'm at work and my calibre library only has a few books for some test. When I fetched the annotations, it found five books that are on the device with annotations and are in my current library. It appears to have gotten all the annotations. One book had only one annotation (and of course, that was the first one I looked at), but the others have several. Comparing what was fetched with the device, it got all of the annotations.

The Annotations Import dialog shows the number of annotations found for each book. Was this 1 for all? Did you look at the preview? Were the annotations there?
I was testing one book, wiht multiple annotations. The other annotations were NOT there in preview when I attached the kobo with the book still open. It only showed the latest one I had entered (I repeated that 2x). It struck me maybe I should exit the book, I did that, and then it picks up all the annotations.

ETA: I just added more notes, exited and restarted calibre, and imported again. This time, I did NOT exit the book but left the book open at the position I had added the latest note. Only the last note was imported. Maybe be kind of an edge case that nobody ever does (leaving a book open, connecting, and then importing). I keep testing, and getting variable results, not sure what's causing the difference and sometimes full import, sometimes not.

Last edited by maximus83; 02-06-2019 at 10:36 PM.
Advert
Old 02-06-2019, 11:21 PM   #33
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was testing one book, wiht multiple annotations. The other annotations were NOT there in preview when I attached the kobo with the book still open. It only showed the latest one I had entered (I repeated that 2x). It struck me maybe I should exit the book, I did that, and then it picks up all the annotations.

ETA: I just added more notes, exited and restarted calibre, and imported again. This time, I did NOT exit the book but left the book open at the position I had added the latest note. Only the last note was imported. Maybe be kind of an edge case that nobody ever does (leaving a book open, connecting, and then importing). I keep testing, and getting variable results, not sure what's causing the difference and sometimes full import, sometimes not.
OK, that's weird and shouldn't be happening. Having the book opened when you connect to the PC shouldn't affect things. The annotations are stored in the database as soon as they are created and the book gets closed properly.

Can you run calibre in debug mode and post the log? Hopefully there is something obvious in that tells me what is wrong. But, I might also need the database.

To run in debug mode, right-click the preferences button in calibre and select the "Restart in debug mode" option. Calibre will restart and should display a message about the debug log. Then connect the device and run the annotations fetch. When you get the the import dialog, you can stop. Then close calibre and the debug log should be displayed. Post the contents or PM it to me.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:23 AM   #34
maximus83
Nameless Being

Hmmm, more experimenting, I cannot repro the issue with other books. I think it was something with this one book, let me test some more and get back to you.

One other question, David. Have you considered adding something akin to what Amazon, Google Play, etc., do with their annotation systems, and attaching some kind of a 'location' integer to the note? This could be anything from a publisher's location value (I think Amazon uses this) to a a publisher's page number (which is obviously an arbitrary value based on the original typesetting).
Old 02-07-2019, 08:00 AM   #35
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hmmm, more experimenting, I cannot repro the issue with other books. I think it was something with this one book, let me test some more and get back to you.
If you see something, I would be interested in knowing what the problem is. Or seeing the debug log.
Quote:
One other question, David. Have you considered adding something akin to what Amazon, Google Play, etc., do with their annotation systems, and attaching some kind of a 'location' integer to the note? This could be anything from a publisher's location value (I think Amazon uses this) to a a publisher's page number (which is obviously an arbitrary value based on the original typesetting).
The problem with that is that I don't have any number like that. All the details in the annotations are from the database on the device. To add something like that would mean finding the location in the book and calculating it. There is a percentage with the annotation, but, it has different meanings for epubs and kepubs. In an epub, the percentage is over the full book. For kepubs, it is within the chapter. That means the only thing close to a useful number is different for the different formats.

Also, there is a long standing bug with epubs that means the percentage and chapter names for the annotations get reset when you reopen a book. But, there is an easy workaround to fix this.
Advert

Tags
clara hd, highlights and notes