Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-09-2019, 06:25 AM   #31
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
so its charging but not visible in windows.
can you try a different cable ?
i would focus on getting windows to see it, then move on to any remaining issue with calibre. calibre can only see what windows sees
and maybe try amazon again for a smarter reply - I dont believe what they told out before about it not being connectable.

PS amazon user guide for oasis 2 (2017) says it can be connected to a PC, so ask them to read page 39 of their own instructions if they say different

"
When you first connect the Kindle to a computer's USB port, it will appear as an external storage
drive or volume on the computer's desktop. You'll see a directory or folder called "documents."
You can add Kindle-compatible files to this directory, and you can copy, move, or delete the files
that are already there. .."

Last edited by stumped; 08-09-2019 at 06:30 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:19 AM   #32
cunneeners
cunneeners began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5.12.1
anybody have any suggestions ?
cunneeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2019, 02:21 AM   #33
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunneeners View Post
anybody have any suggestions ?
yes

they are in post #31
Old 08-14-2019, 08:54 AM   #34
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
yes

they are in post #31
and post #12
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:00 AM   #35
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
and post #12
and in the Kindle user guide for the Oasis 2 ( as I said in #31)
page 39

anything else we can ( not) help you with ?
Advert
Old 08-16-2019, 02:03 PM   #36
manawydan
Connoisseur
manawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toys

Device: none
Since this seems to be the place to ask for calibre - kindle problems, a quick question: can it be that the new Kindle firmware (5.11) and the calibre version 1.47 is not compatible?

I have a Kindle Voyage (firmware 5.8.7.01.) which works fine with this calibre version and got a New Kindle Paperwhite yesterday with the newest firmware which calibre does not recognise.
It is detected as usb device by windows though.

I read the thread with first steps but I can not upgrade calibre or windows.

As far as I understand it I can either return the Kindle, downgrade the firmware (and not being able to return the device) or get a new OS (and PC).

I just wanted to ask if you know of other cases which would confirm the "suspect" aka firmware.
manawydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:09 PM   #37
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You can't downgrade a Kindle, so, at least that should answer part of your questions .

If Windows sees it (as a storage device, and you can properly access it that way), see the Calibre FAQ and post the relevant debug log. It's unlikely you'd be the first to notice something weird on a months-old firmware, but who knows.

EDIT: Oh, I'd completely glossed over the Calibre version. Yeaaaah, that won't do, c.f., @theducks's answer below.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-16-2019 at 05:31 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:14 PM   #38
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by manawydan View Post
Since this seems to be the place to ask for calibre - kindle problems, a quick question: can it be that the new Kindle firmware (5.11) and the calibre version 1.47 is not compatible?

[snipped]
As you probably know, until this is fixed you should be able to connect via USB. Not as convenient as wifi, but better than nothing.
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:16 PM   #39
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by manawydan View Post

I just wanted to ask if you know of other cases which would confirm the "suspect" aka firmware.
1.47 is not gonna get a 'fix'. XP is just so different from later Windows that new requirements are not compatible. We are on 3.x and heading for 4.x

I will assume the $$ or the PC belongs to someone else. Get a Linux (Mint is close to the way XP did things), on BOOTABLE Flash drive and install Calibre there and see if it can SEE your new K.
Remember to NOT use the repository version (outdated) of Calibre. Use the commandline installer from the Calibre LINUX install page
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:27 PM   #40
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter
ChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question new to Windows, Kindle not being detected by PC

I rebooted PC and Kindle, still no detection. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

calibre 3.47 [64bit] embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.17763-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.17763')
Python 2.7.15+
Windows: ('10', '10.0.17763', 'SP0', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Gather KFX-ZIP (from KFX Input) (1, 18, 0) && Package KFX (from KFX Input) (1, 18, 0) && Clean Metadata (0, 0, 6) && EpubCheck (0, 1, 9) && Find Duplicates (1, 6, 3) && Kindle Collections (1, 7, 24) && Consolidate All Library Metadata (2, 0, 33) && Set KFX metadata (from KFX Output) (1, 31, 0) && KFX Output (1, 31, 0) && Goodreads (1, 4, 0) && Modify ePub (1, 3, 13) && KindleUnpack - The Plugin (0, 81, 5) && X-Ray Creator (3, 2, 1) && Goodreads Sync (1, 12, 1) && Import List (1, 4, 0) && KFX metadata reader (from KFX Input) (1, 18, 0) && KFX Input (1, 18, 0)
USB devices on system:
(USBDevice(vendor_id=0x8087 product_id=0x25 bcd=0x2 devid=usb\vid_8087&pid_0025&rev_0002 devinst=1),
USBDevice(vendor_id=None product_id=None bcd=None devid=usb\root_hub30&vid8086&pid9ded&rev0030 devinst=2),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x6cb product_id=0x81 bcd=0x164 devid=usb\vid_06cb&pid_0081&rev_0164 devinst=3),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x4f2 product_id=0xb61e bcd=0x425 devid=usb\vid_04f2&pid_b61e&rev_0425 devinst=4),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x4f2 product_id=0xb61e bcd=0x425 devid=usb\vid_04f2&pid_b61e&rev_0425&mi_00 devinst=5))

No disabled plugins
Looking for devices of type: MTP_DEVICE
The Windows WPD service says there are no portable devices connected

Looking for devices of type: SMART_DEVICE_APP
All IP addresses {'{F1AF6D4D-495D-4981-A720-D7E2D6E05A2E}': [{'addr': u'10.158.0.34', 'broadcast': u'10.158.0.34', 'netmask': u'255.255.255.255'}], '{C7B54A77-7A2D-4B0A-BF68-5DB1E3F0C8DF}': [{'addr': u'192.168.0.10', 'broadcast': u'192.168.0.10', 'netmask': u'255.255.255.255'}], '{9FD16548-BC3F-11E8-9C9E-806E6F6E6963}': [{'addr': u'127.0.0.1', 'broadcast': u'127.0.0.1', 'netmask': u'255.255.255.255'}]}
No device is connected

Looking for devices...

Devices possibly connected: None
ChipAHoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:57 PM   #41
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Chip
Does Window (explorer) see it?
Calibre can't see what windows can't see.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:44 PM   #42
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter
ChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Chip
Does Window (explorer) see it?
Calibre can't see what windows can't see.
No, it doesn't show up in Windows, either.

Both USB ports work, I tried other devices.

Is there a driver for the Kindle that I need on my computer? I saw somewhere about designating the Kindle as a media device to get it to show up, but I don't know how to do that.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:34 PM   #43
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What type of Kindle is it? Many Android based devices (I've forgotten what the Amazon Android o/s is called) require an additional step to put the device into storage mode as opposed to charging mode.

I did see that earlier when you had I with a Paperwhite that you had a faulty USB cable. Have you tried a different cable?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:53 PM   #44
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What type of Kindle is it? Many Android based devices (I've forgotten what the Amazon Android o/s is called) require an additional step to put the device into storage mode as opposed to charging mode.

I did see that earlier when you had I with a Paperwhite that you had a faulty USB cable. Have you tried a different cable?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
It is a Kindle Paperwhite. Wish I knew what that additional step was to put the device into storage mode as opposed to charging mode. I have tried 3 different cables.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:46 PM   #45
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Do you have a Sleep Cover? Leave it OPEN (no sleeping).
My Kobo hates the cover when transferring, maybe your K is the same