Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-15-2017, 12:29 PM   #1
Nicolafred
Nicolafred began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Question Error communicating with device

Hi,
I have a Kobo Aura that I've been using with my Mac and calibre for years without problem. However I've just updated both device and calibre to latest versions and now get this error... Any help would be awesome.

calibre, version 2.79.1
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

CantOpenError: unable to open database file

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 88, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 511, in _books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 1704, in books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 161, in device_database_connection
CantOpenError: CantOpenError: unable to open database file
Nicolafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:05 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I noticed your other post, but this is usually a sign that the database on the device is corrupt. My usual recommendation is to sign out of the Kobo account on the device and back in. This creates a new database and re-adds all the sideloaded books. Or, if you have a recent backup of the database, you can restore that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2017, 04:49 AM   #3
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
I'm getting this error too with my Kobo Touch; this is after a factory reset and rebuilding the device. It seems to be connected with using a SD card; unfortunately my library is too big to fit into device memory so I need to use the SD card to sideload everything I want. I've reformatted the SD card as well...
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:21 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
I'm getting this error too with my Kobo Touch; this is after a factory reset and rebuilding the device. It seems to be connected with using a SD card; unfortunately my library is too big to fit into device memory so I need to use the SD card to sideload everything I want. I've reformatted the SD card as well...
I missed that you were using a Mac. Usually that error means the database is corrupted, but there have been a few reports of this with a Mac. For some reason the Mac is mounting the card and internal memory opposite to how they should be. I don't remember what was done to fix this the last time it was reported. A search here should find it.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:27 AM   #5
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I noticed that too. Also, collections aren't being assigned as part of the upload; as I have over 1400 ebooks, manual assignment on the Kobo isn't an option.

I'm beginning to think that rooting the Kobo and loading better reading software might be a better option; all I use the Kobo for is reading - purchases and content management are done on the Mac or the iPad. Getting rid of ADE and various bits of marketing rubbish would free up a not inconsiderable amount of space.
Advert
Old 02-17-2017, 08:39 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
Yes, I noticed that too. Also, collections aren't being assigned as part of the upload; as I have over 1400 ebooks, manual assignment on the Kobo isn't an option.
The collections are in the database. As the database cannot be accessed, the collections cannot be set.
Quote:
I'm beginning to think that rooting the Kobo and loading better reading software might be a better option; all I use the Kobo for is reading - purchases and content management are done on the Mac or the iPad. Getting rid of ADE and various bits of marketing rubbish would free up a not inconsiderable amount of space.
You can use KOReader, but if you aren't buying books from Kobo, there won't be much space saved. ADE doesn't claim much space (18MB for 3500 books on my Glo HD). And, what marketing rubbish is taking space?

In any case, this is a problem with the way that the Mac mounts the device. Sorry, I don't remember the solution, but it might have been a OS version problem.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:56 AM   #7
maddz
Wizard

Do you have any idea of when the problem with the Mac and SD card was reported and which forum? I've tried searching but had no luck...

Edit: a Google search suggests November 2015... I found the Calibre error log that mentioned this.

Last edited by maddz; 02-18-2017 at 03:11 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:57 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Sorry, I can't find it either. It should either be in this subforum or the Kobo forum. From memory, it was a problem with a version of the Mac OS.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:06 AM   #9
maddz
Wizard

Hmm, the bug report https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1523291 suggested removing the Kobo Utilities plug-in, but still got the same issue after doing that. I'm seeing the switched main/SD card card (2Gb/8Gb) issue, get errors when ejecting the device from Calibre or the Mac (eject card first and eject Kobo first), and Calibre takes a while to get the book list from the Kobo. When I transfer books, I usually have to try multiple times to get all books across.

I cannot find the original thread here on MR.

I'm only running the standard Kobo plug-in not the extended, and Calibre, Kobo firmware and Mac OS are all up-to-date. So I don't know what to try next...
Old 02-19-2017, 06:26 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@maddz - have you tried running calibre with the --no-plugins option

See 'calibre' in Command Line Interface

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:30 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

@maddz: I can't find the thread either and it did occur to me that it was a bug report. And that one sounds a lot like it. It's been a while, so I'm not sure.

The utilities plugin shouldn't be an issue. It comes into play a lot later than where the error in the first post was reported. But, looking back, that first post was from someone else. You haven't haven't actually posted the error you are seeing, or any real details of the error. Could you post the full details of the error you are seeing? Even better would be a debug log showing the connection and all the details of what is happening.

Also, you mention above you found a log with the swapped paths with google. Can you post the link? I can't find it at the moment.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:04 AM   #12
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I've had this is the past and I use a MAC. I don't understand the cause but find that closing down my mac and trying again tends to work. I do have an SD card on my Kobo. sorry I can't be more help.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:25 AM   #13
maddz
Wizard

The swapped paths issue was mentioned in the bug report I found: https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1523291

I'll have another go this evening - I've got to do some stuff in the garden now.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:31 PM   #14
Nicolafred
Nicolafred began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Did anyone get a fix for this?
I reformatted my kobo, re-added my books....
Getting this error now.

calibre, version 2.80.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

CantOpenError: unable to open database file

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 88, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 511, in _books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 1704, in books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 161, in device_database_connection
CantOpenError: CantOpenError: unable to open database file
Nicolafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:32 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

My response is the same as my original response. It is usually as sign that the database is corrupted. You need to check that first. There are other reasons, as discussed above, but you haven't given enough information to know if these might be the case.